Search Finding Aids
Currently Used Filters
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Date filters: 2 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Creator filters: 3 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Founded by Dr. Elizabeth Comly-Howell in 1889, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women was established in order to provide a place in West Philadelphia where women could be treated by women. In 1929, the hospital merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. At the time of the merger, it was arranged that all maternity cases would be sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital, and surgical cases would be kept at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains Board of Manager records, Executive Committee records and historical materials. (View full finding aid.)