Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Date: 1900-1950
Remove
filtered Subject: Corporate name: Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 5 out of 5  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1890-1970
(Bulk: 1925-1965)
Creator:
Hay, George A.
Extent: 4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
George A. Hay collection of administrative files of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania
creator
Hay, George A.
id
WMCP.R.293
repository
extent
4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
inclusive date
1890-1970
bulk date
1925-1965
abstract/scope/contents
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1819-1902
Creator:
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901
Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879
Longshore, Thomas E.
Extent: 20 folders
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Longshore family papers
creator
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901 Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879 Longshore, Thomas E.
id
WM.SC.075
repository
extent
20 folders
inclusive date
1819-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1823-1987
(Bulk: 1919-1981)
Creator:
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
Extent: 10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Stella Yates Botelho papers
creator
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
id
WM.363
repository
extent
10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
inclusive date
1823-1987
bulk date
1919-1981
abstract/scope/contents
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »