Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Correspondence
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 13 out of 13  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1918-1976
(Bulk: 1944-1972)
Creator:
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
Extent: 2 linear feet
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Anny Elston papers
creator
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
id
WM.SC.530
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-1976
bulk date
1944-1972
abstract/scope/contents
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1913-1971
(Bulk: 1920-1950)
Creator:
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
Extent: 2 linear feet
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bertha Van Hoosen papers
creator
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
id
WM.SC.145
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1971
bulk date
1920-1950
abstract/scope/contents
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1868-1918
Creator:
Bradford, Thomas Lindsley, 1847-1918
Extent: 36 containers
Dr. Thomas L. Bradford (1847-1918) was a practicing homeopathic physician in Maine, Europe and Philadelphia. While practicing and teaching in Philadelphia he served as curator for the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia. From 1896 to 1916, he collected, organized and maintained material for 35 scrapbooks of biographical information about homeopathic physicians. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bradford collection of biographies of Homoeopathic Physicians
creator
Bradford, Thomas Lindsley, 1847-1918
id
HU.SC.064
repository
extent
36 containers
inclusive date
1868-1918
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Thomas L. Bradford (1847-1918) was a practicing homeopathic physician in Maine, Europe and Philadelphia. While practicing and teaching in Philadelphia he served as curator for the Hahnemann Medical College and Hospital of Philadelphia. From 1896 to 1916, he collected, organized and maintained material for 35 scrapbooks of biographical information about homeopathic physicians.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1820-2003
(Bulk: 1820-1940)
Creator:
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
Extent: 7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Constantine Hering and Calvin B. Knerr family papers
creator
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880 Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
id
HU.100
repository
extent
7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
inclusive date
1820-2003
bulk date
1820-1940
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1924-1987
Creator:
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
Extent: 3.4 linear feet
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dr. Sophie Trent papers
creator
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
id
WM.SC.536
repository
extent
3.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1890-1970
(Bulk: 1925-1965)
Creator:
Hay, George A.
Extent: 4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
George A. Hay collection of administrative files of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania
creator
Hay, George A.
id
WMCP.R.293
repository
extent
4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
inclusive date
1890-1970
bulk date
1925-1965
abstract/scope/contents
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1958-1964
Creator:
Koprowska, Irena, 1917-
Extent: 2.4 linear feet
Dr. Irena Grasberg Koprowska (born 1917) worked in pathology and participated in a study on the early detection and diagnosis of lung cancer: The American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Cooperative Study for the Evaluation of Radiologic and Sputum Cytologic Screening in the Early Detection of Lung Cancer while working at Cornell University. The Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Lung Cancer Screening Study consists of correspondence, data sheets, supporting notes, and reports dating from 1958 to 1964. The collection also includes microscope slides and photographic prints of the microscope slides. The material focuses on the lung cancer screening study conducted from 1958 to 1868 by Dr. Irena Koprowska, in conjunction with Dr. George Papanicolaou’s laboratory at Cornell, where she worked before coming to Hahnemann Medical College. The two co-authored a case report of the earliest diagnosis of lung cancer by a sputum smear. It was noted that study had only negative results, and it has been asserted that results were not valuable, in themselves, in the early diagnosis of lung cancer. (View full finding aid.)
title
Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration lung cancer screening study
creator
Koprowska, Irena, 1917-
id
HU.SC.002
repository
extent
2.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1958-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Irena Grasberg Koprowska (born 1917) worked in pathology and participated in a study on the early detection and diagnosis of lung cancer: The American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Cooperative Study for the Evaluation of Radiologic and Sputum Cytologic Screening in the Early Detection of Lung Cancer while working at Cornell University. The Irena Koprowska collection on American Cancer Society-Veterans Administration Lung Cancer Screening Study consists of correspondence, data sheets, supporting notes, and reports dating from 1958 to 1964. The collection also includes microscope slides and photographic prints of the microscope slides. The material focuses on the lung cancer screening study conducted from 1958 to 1868 by Dr. Irena Koprowska, in conjunction with Dr. George Papanicolaou’s laboratory at Cornell, where she worked before coming to Hahnemann Medical College. The two co-authored a case report of the earliest diagnosis of lung cancer by a sputum smear. It was noted that study had only negative results, and it has been asserted that results were not valuable, in themselves, in the early diagnosis of lung cancer.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1850-1946
Creator:
Poynter, Lida
Extent: 30 linear feet
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker. (View full finding aid.)
title
Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker
creator
Poynter, Lida
id
WM.SC.126
repository
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1850-1946
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1819-1902
Creator:
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901
Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879
Longshore, Thomas E.
Extent: 20 folders
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Longshore family papers
creator
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901 Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879 Longshore, Thomas E.
id
WM.SC.075
repository
extent
20 folders
inclusive date
1819-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1925-1975
(Bulk: 1946-1975)
Creator:
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
Extent: 1.9 linear feet
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marion Spencer Fay Papers
creator
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
id
WM.SC.457
repository
extent
1.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-1975
bulk date
1946-1975
abstract/scope/contents
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1925-1975
(Bulk: 1946-1975)
Creator:
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
Extent: 1.9 linear feet
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marion Spencer Fay Papers
creator
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.457
repository
extent
1.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-1975
bulk date
1946-1975
abstract/scope/contents
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1870-1924, 1947
Creator:
Chicago Woman's Medical College.
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary. (View full finding aid.)
title
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School records/Chicago Woman's Medical College
creator
Chicago Woman's Medical College. Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
id
WM.029
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
1870-1924, 1947
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »