Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Subject: Corporate name: American Medical Women's Association.
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 3 out of 3  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1917-1982
Creator:
American Women's Hospitals.
Extent: 7.5 linear feet
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Women's Hospitals Service photographs
creator
American Women's Hospitals.
id
WM.SC.144
repository
extent
7.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1913-1971
(Bulk: 1920-1950)
Creator:
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
Extent: 2 linear feet
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bertha Van Hoosen papers
creator
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
id
WM.SC.145
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1971
bulk date
1920-1950
abstract/scope/contents
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet