Search Finding Aids
Currently Used Filters
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Creator filters: 2 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Subject: Corporate name filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
Extent: 7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. (View full finding aid.)
Extent: 5.4 linear feet (19 boxes of photographs and 3 boxes of negatives)
The Hahnemann University Photograph Collection is an extensive collection that covers the people and buildings of Hahnemann from its beginnings in 1848 as the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania to 2004 as Hahnemann University Hospital. Much of the collection is a photographic record of the buildings that were used and constructed by the organization throughout its history. The photographs consistently span the lifetime of the school and hospital from the mid-1840s to turn of the twenty-first century. Shots include interiors, exteriors, construction sites, and aerial shots of the campus (and city). There are also a few shots of other homeopathic hospitals and schools in the nineteenth century. A significant portion of the collection visually documents the departments and medical instruments/equipment used by those departments. These photographs cover a range of dates with most being the latter half of the twentieth century. The remainder of the collection is concerned with the people associated with the schools and hospital over the years. Past presidents, doctors, and alumni, There are some images from the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania; however, most are from more recent times. (View full finding aid.)