Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Subject: Topic: Women physicians
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 16 out of 16  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1917-1982
Creator:
American Women's Hospitals.
Extent: 7.5 linear feet
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Women's Hospitals Service photographs
creator
American Women's Hospitals.
id
WM.SC.144
repository
extent
7.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1918-1976
(Bulk: 1944-1972)
Creator:
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
Extent: 2 linear feet
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Anny Elston papers
creator
Elston, Anny, Dr., 1895-1975
id
WM.SC.530
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1918-1976
bulk date
1944-1972
abstract/scope/contents
Anny Elston (1895-1975), a German born and trained pediatrician, immigrated to the United States in 1941 due to the "Racial Laws" in Nazi Germany. After obtaining her New York State Medical License in 1942, she began practicing medicine in New York City until retiring in 1972. The Anny Elston papers include information regarding Dr. Elston's medical credentials and continuing education, her medical practice in New York City, and patient records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1913-1971
(Bulk: 1920-1950)
Creator:
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
Extent: 2 linear feet
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bertha Van Hoosen papers
creator
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
id
WM.SC.145
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1971
bulk date
1920-1950
abstract/scope/contents
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1948-2010
(Bulk: 1970-2005)
Creator:
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
Extent: 175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Doris Bartuska papers
creator
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
id
WM.300
repository
extent
175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
inclusive date
1948-2010
bulk date
1970-2005
abstract/scope/contents
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1924-1987
Creator:
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
Extent: 3.4 linear feet
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dr. Sophie Trent papers
creator
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
id
WM.SC.536
repository
extent
3.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
approximately 1802-2016
(Bulk: 1962-2004)
Creator:
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
Extent: 41.11 linear feet
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material. (View full finding aid.)
title
Florence Haseltine papers
creator
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
id
WM.212
repository
extent
41.11 linear feet
inclusive date
approximately 1802-2016
bulk date
1962-2004
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1977
Creator:
Corner, George Washington, 1889-1981, Author
Extent: 1 folder
The collection contains a photocopy of a typed manuscript about Louise Pearce, M.D., past president of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania and noted scientist, written by Corner, past president of the American Philosophical Society. The article was submitted to 2nd edition of Notable American Women. (View full finding aid.)
title
George Corner, Ph.D. manuscript
creator
Corner, George Washington, 1889-1981, Author
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.030
repository
extent
1 folder
inclusive date
1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains a photocopy of a typed manuscript about Louise Pearce, M.D., past president of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania and noted scientist, written by Corner, past president of the American Philosophical Society. The article was submitted to 2nd edition of Notable American Women.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1923-1990
Extent: 8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers
creator
id
WM.244
repository
extent
8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
inclusive date
1923-1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1850-1946
Creator:
Poynter, Lida
Extent: 30 linear feet
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker. (View full finding aid.)
title
Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker
creator
Poynter, Lida
id
WM.SC.126
repository
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1850-1946
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1819-1902
Creator:
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901
Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879
Longshore, Thomas E.
Extent: 20 folders
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Longshore family papers
creator
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901 Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879 Longshore, Thomas E.
id
WM.SC.075
repository
extent
20 folders
inclusive date
1819-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1870-1924, 1947
Creator:
Chicago Woman's Medical College.
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary. (View full finding aid.)
title
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School records/Chicago Woman's Medical College
creator
Chicago Woman's Medical College. Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
id
WM.029
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
1870-1924, 1947
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1967-2015
(Bulk: 1985-2005)
Creator:
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
Extent: 1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women records
creator
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
id
WM.394
repository
extent
1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
inclusive date
1967-2015
bulk date
1985-2005
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1823-1987
(Bulk: 1919-1981)
Creator:
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
Extent: 10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Stella Yates Botelho papers
creator
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
id
WM.363
repository
extent
10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
inclusive date
1823-1987
bulk date
1919-1981
abstract/scope/contents
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1899-1932
Creator:
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Founded by Dr. Elizabeth Comly-Howell in 1889, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women was established in order to provide a place in West Philadelphia where women could be treated by women. In 1929, the hospital merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. At the time of the merger, it was arranged that all maternity cases would be sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital, and surgical cases would be kept at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains Board of Manager records, Executive Committee records and historical materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women records
creator
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children.
id
WM.SC.160
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1899-1932
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded by Dr. Elizabeth Comly-Howell in 1889, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women was established in order to provide a place in West Philadelphia where women could be treated by women. In 1929, the hospital merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. At the time of the merger, it was arranged that all maternity cases would be sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital, and surgical cases would be kept at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains Board of Manager records, Executive Committee records and historical materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »