Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Remove
filtered Sort: Date added (descending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 43  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
approximately 1802-2016
(Bulk: 1962-2004)
Creator:
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
Extent: 41.11 linear feet
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material. (View full finding aid.)
title
Florence Haseltine papers
creator
Haseltine, Florence, 1942-
id
WM.212
repository
extent
41.11 linear feet
inclusive date
approximately 1802-2016
bulk date
1962-2004
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Florence Haseltine, MD, PhD is a biophysicist, licensed obstetrician-gynecologist and reproductive endocrinologist, writer, inventor, and advocate for women's health. The Florence Haseltine papers chronicle the career and personal life of Dr. Florence Haseltine and the Haseltine family. The records in this collection date from approximately 1802 to 2016, although the bulk of the records are from 1962 to 2014. This collection includes papers from Florence’s family, her work as a college student, her career as a research scientist, her various professional and organization activities, as well as her business and entrepreneurial efforts. The types of documents in this collection include correspondence, diaries, research papers, notebooks, clippings, financial records, photographs, audio-visual material, digital media, and other print material.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1870-1924, 1947
Creator:
Chicago Woman's Medical College.
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary. (View full finding aid.)
title
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School records/Chicago Woman's Medical College
creator
Chicago Woman's Medical College. Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
id
WM.029
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
1870-1924, 1947
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1883-1985
Extent: 0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed. (View full finding aid.)
title
Mary Pauline Root papers
creator
id
WM.257
repository
extent
0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
inclusive date
1883-1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1886-1955
Extent: 1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899). (View full finding aid.)
title
Blanche Fiscus Greaves papers
creator
id
WM.226
repository
extent
1 linear feet (1 document box, 2 half-document boxes, 1 flat box)
inclusive date
1886-1955
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Blanche Fiscus Greaves (b.1869, d.1958) graduated in the class of 1895 at the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. After attending medical school, she was employed at the Emergency Hospital, and was apparently the first female to serve on the staff of the Dorthea Dix Hospital and Woman's Hospital, all in Washington DC. She joined the staff of the Hospital of the Woman's Medical College in 1899 and apparently worked there until her retirement, practicing medicine for 40 years in Philadelphia. For a brief period, Greaves was appointed a temporary physician in the treatment of influenza and pneumonia during the epidemic in 1918. The collection materials span the years 1886-1955. The bulk of this collection is photographs, and primarily studio portraits. Some individuals in these photographs are identified but many are not. Some items of interest in this collection: a "Gem Album" of tintype portraits of young men and women (dated 1887), a portrait of Greaves posed next to a fragmented skull (dated 1891), a small photography notebook, containing camera settings and weather conditions (dated 1899).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1919-1942
Creator:
Sheppard, Walter Lee, -1911, Creator
Extent: 4.5 linear feet (9 letter doc boxes, 1 legal doc box, 1 half doc box)
Walter Lee Sheppard was an important member of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania community starting in 1919 and running through the early 1940s. Beginning as the college's legal councel, he also served on the Board of Corporators, held the position of chairman for the Commitee of Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure, was a member of the Executive Committee of the Corporation, and eventaully became the Vice President of the College. This collection includes minutes, reports, correspondence, and general material gathered from the various roles SHeppard held. It includes administrative records of the Woman's Medical College and Hospital, new building sites, appropriations and bequests, extensive correspondence, and several court cases from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, for which Sheppard was the college's lawyer. (View full finding aid.)
title
W. L. Sheppard records
creator
Sheppard, Walter Lee, -1911, Creator
id
WM.042
repository
extent
4.5 linear feet (9 letter doc boxes, 1 legal doc box, 1 half doc box)
inclusive date
1919-1942
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Walter Lee Sheppard was an important member of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania community starting in 1919 and running through the early 1940s. Beginning as the college's legal councel, he also served on the Board of Corporators, held the position of chairman for the Commitee of Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure, was a member of the Executive Committee of the Corporation, and eventaully became the Vice President of the College. This collection includes minutes, reports, correspondence, and general material gathered from the various roles SHeppard held. It includes administrative records of the Woman's Medical College and Hospital, new building sites, appropriations and bequests, extensive correspondence, and several court cases from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, for which Sheppard was the college's lawyer.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1868-2015
Creator:
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
Extent: 29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events (View full finding aid.)
title
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia records
creator
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.2011.001
repository
extent
29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1868-2015
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1967-2015
(Bulk: 1985-2005)
Creator:
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
Extent: 1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women records
creator
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
id
WM.394
repository
extent
1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
inclusive date
1967-2015
bulk date
1985-2005
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1887-1972
Creator:
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
Extent: 6.8 linear feet
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Isabel Smith Stein collection on Elizabeth Cisney Smith
creator
Smith, Elizabeth Cisney, M.D., 1881-1965
id
WM.2007.002
repository
extent
6.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1887-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elizabeth Cisney Smith (1881 to 1965) was a practicing physician for 35 years from the time of her graduation from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1911 to her retirement in 1946. She primarily worked in Pennsylvania and Maryland with brief time spent in North Dakota and Ohio. Dr. Smith was an active supporter of women’s rights as well as the suffrage movement. The collection was initially compiled and arranged by Isabel Smith Stein the daughter of Dr. Elizabeth Cisney Smith, and consists of 6 linear feet of material housed in 17 boxes. This collection dates from 1887 to 1972 and is composed of diaries and memoirs, correspondence, photographs, and audio materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1980-2015
(Bulk: 1999-2009)
Extent: 6 linear feet
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records contain various materials relating to the history of the department from the mid-1980s until the mid-2010s. They provide insight into the many external reviews, and common concerns for graduate medical education, such as keeping track of residents' rotations and agreements with local hospitals. (View full finding aid.)
title
Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records
creator
id
DUCOM.2015.014
repository
extent
6 linear feet
inclusive date
1980-2015
bulk date
1999-2009
abstract/scope/contents
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynocology records contain various materials relating to the history of the department from the mid-1980s until the mid-2010s. They provide insight into the many external reviews, and common concerns for graduate medical education, such as keeping track of residents' rotations and agreements with local hospitals.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1980-2015
(Bulk: 1999-2009)
Extent: 4 linear feet
This collection consists of material from the Department of Graduate Medical Education and it documents their activites. Reports, committee minutes, and affliations with hospitals are discussed, as well as ways to improve various aspects of graduate medical education. (View full finding aid.)
title
Department of Graduate Medical Education records
creator
id
DUCOM.2015.015
repository
extent
4 linear feet
inclusive date
1980-2015
bulk date
1999-2009
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of material from the Department of Graduate Medical Education and it documents their activites. Reports, committee minutes, and affliations with hospitals are discussed, as well as ways to improve various aspects of graduate medical education.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1975-2008
(Bulk: 1992-1994)
Creator:
Yeakel, Lynn Hardy, 1941-, Donor
Extent: 14.5 linear feet (21 doc boxes; 2 half doc boxes; 2 oversized boxes; 1 record carton; 1 poster)
Lynn Hardy Yeakel was born in 1941 in Portsmouth, Virginia to Representative Porter Hardy, Jr and his wife, Lynn. She graduated in 1963 from Randolph-Macon Woman's College and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She married Paul Yeakel in 1965. Lynn Yeakel has also earned a Master's of Science in Management from American College. She has launched three political campaigns: for U.S. Senate in 1992; as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the governor of Pennsylvania in 1994; and as a Democratic candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate in 2002. Yeakel is also a long-time advocate for girls' and women's rights. She co-founded Womens Way in 1976, served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Director of the United States Department of Health and Human Services from 1994 to 2000, and has been the Director of Drexel University College of Medicine's Institute for Women's Health and Leadership since 2002. Lynn Yeakel has made four donations to the Legacy Center since 2010, one being the institutional records of the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership. Her personal papers consist of evidence of her work in several organizations, including Womens Way and the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Additionally, the Legacy Center has received newsclippings, correspondence, and publications concerning Yeakel's three political campaigns. Finally, the collections house notes, proposals, and manuscripts relating to her 2010 book, "A Will and a Way." The 3 donations which make up her personal papers are described in one source. (View full finding aid.)
title
Lynn Yeakel papers
creator
Yeakel, Lynn Hardy, 1941-, Donor
id
DU.2010.017
repository
extent
14.5 linear feet (21 doc boxes; 2 half doc boxes; 2 oversized boxes; 1 record carton; 1 poster)
inclusive date
1975-2008
bulk date
1992-1994
abstract/scope/contents
Lynn Hardy Yeakel was born in 1941 in Portsmouth, Virginia to Representative Porter Hardy, Jr and his wife, Lynn. She graduated in 1963 from Randolph-Macon Woman's College and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She married Paul Yeakel in 1965. Lynn Yeakel has also earned a Master's of Science in Management from American College. She has launched three political campaigns: for U.S. Senate in 1992; as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the governor of Pennsylvania in 1994; and as a Democratic candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate in 2002. Yeakel is also a long-time advocate for girls' and women's rights. She co-founded Womens Way in 1976, served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Director of the United States Department of Health and Human Services from 1994 to 2000, and has been the Director of Drexel University College of Medicine's Institute for Women's Health and Leadership since 2002. Lynn Yeakel has made four donations to the Legacy Center since 2010, one being the institutional records of the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership. Her personal papers consist of evidence of her work in several organizations, including Womens Way and the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Additionally, the Legacy Center has received newsclippings, correspondence, and publications concerning Yeakel's three political campaigns. Finally, the collections house notes, proposals, and manuscripts relating to her 2010 book, "A Will and a Way." The 3 donations which make up her personal papers are described in one source.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1948-2010
(Bulk: 1970-2005)
Creator:
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
Extent: 175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Doris Bartuska papers
creator
Bartuska, Doris Sophie Gorda, 1929-2013
id
WM.300
repository
extent
175 linear feet (25 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 record cartons, 3 oversized boxes)
inclusive date
1948-2010
bulk date
1970-2005
abstract/scope/contents
Born and raised in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania, Dr. Doris Bartuska graduated from the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1954, where she also served her internship and residency. An endocrinologist, she joined the faculty in 1958, was an Associate Dean for Curriculum, President of the Medical Staff, and a member of the Board of Directors and President of the Alumni Association. Dr. Bartuska was Director of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism as well as the Endocrine Fellowship Training Program at Woman’s Medical College/Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was named Emeritus Professor of Medicine (Endocrinology) at Drexel University College of Medicine in 1996. Dr. Bartuska passed away in 2013. This collection contains materials relating to the career and personal life of Dr. Doris Bartuska. They span from 1941 to 2010, although the bulk of the records cover the years 1970 to 2000. Dr. Bartuska’s roles serving in numerous positions, including President, in the American Medical Women’s Association, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and other professional organizations, are represented, as is her employment with Drexel College of Medicine. Her achievements during her career are showcased in the form of numerous awards and correpsondence from colleagues. Dr. Bartuska's family, with whom she was close, is represented in photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1895-1971
(Bulk: 1935-1960)
Creator:
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
Extent: 16 linear feet
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catharine Macfarlane papers
creator
Macfarlane, Catharine, 1877-1969, Donor
id
WM.047
repository
extent
16 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-1971
bulk date
1935-1960
abstract/scope/contents
Catharine Macfarlane graduated from Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1898, and later became an instructor in obstetrics at the college and a professor of gynecology. She was the first woman to be elected to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1935. Macfarlane devoted much of her career to cancer research and prevention, specifically pelvic cancer. In 1956, she became the first woman to serve as Chairman for the Medical Society of Pennsylvania’s Commission on Cancer. Macfarlane began researching the breast self-exam in 1962, working with the Philadelphia Division of the American Cancer Society. Her career spanned nearly 70 years, and she was affectionately known as “Dr. Kitty Mac.” This collection spans 12 separate accessions and 16 linear feet. Most of the materials regard Macfarlane's professional activities, her research in uterine cancer, and the recognition she received for her work in cancer prevention. The material spans from 1895 to 1971, although the bulk of the material dates from 1935 to 1960. A biography of Macfarlane, written in 1970 by Sister M. Juan La Barr, and records of Macfarlane’s student days at the University of Pennsylvania (1893-1895) and Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (1895-1898) are of particular note. The bulk of the correspondence deals with the American Medical Women's Association Library and Memorial Building Fund (1945-1968). The collection also holds copies and drafts of Macfarlane's articles and presentations, as well as pamphlets from conferences and award ceremonies. Additionally,there are numerous certificates and awards; many presented in recognition of Macfarlane's work in cancer research and prevention. Scrapbooks, compiled by Macfarlane, and related to Macfarlane’s career and other professional activities, are especially notable, as are the lantern slides from the Medical Women’s International Meeting in Scotland in 1937, and the medical instruments owned by Macfarlane.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1823-1987
(Bulk: 1919-1981)
Creator:
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
Extent: 10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Stella Yates Botelho papers
creator
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
id
WM.363
repository
extent
10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
inclusive date
1823-1987
bulk date
1919-1981
abstract/scope/contents
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1911-1984
Creator:
Kuhlenbeck, Hartwig, 1897-
Extent: 63.55 linear feet
Born in Germany in 1897, Dr. Hartwig Kuhlenbeck, a neuroanatomist, received his degrees of Ph.D. in Philosophy and of M.D. (summa cum laude) from the University of Jena, Germany. He spent several years lecturing in Japan and at the University of Breslau (Germany) before moving to the United States in 1933. Dr. Kuhlenbeck was appointed to several positions at the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, beginning in 1935 as Acting Professor of Anatomy and retiring in 1982 as Emeritus Professor of Anatomy. He spent most of his professional career at Woman’s Medical College, with the exception of a two-year leave of absence from 1944-1946, when he served in the United States Army Medical Corps. Dr. Kuhlenbeck published over 150 works during his career as a world-renowned anatomist. He passed away in 1984. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hartwig Kuhlenbeck papers
creator
Kuhlenbeck, Hartwig, 1897-
id
DUCOM.323
repository
extent
63.55 linear feet
inclusive date
1911-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Born in Germany in 1897, Dr. Hartwig Kuhlenbeck, a neuroanatomist, received his degrees of Ph.D. in Philosophy and of M.D. (summa cum laude) from the University of Jena, Germany. He spent several years lecturing in Japan and at the University of Breslau (Germany) before moving to the United States in 1933. Dr. Kuhlenbeck was appointed to several positions at the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, beginning in 1935 as Acting Professor of Anatomy and retiring in 1982 as Emeritus Professor of Anatomy. He spent most of his professional career at Woman’s Medical College, with the exception of a two-year leave of absence from 1944-1946, when he served in the United States Army Medical Corps. Dr. Kuhlenbeck published over 150 works during his career as a world-renowned anatomist. He passed away in 1984.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1856-1891
Creator:
Bodley, Rachel L., 1831-1888
Extent: 2 boxes (0.75 linear feet)
This collection documents some of Dr. Bodley's endeavors as Dean of the Faculty of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Rachel L. Bodley papers
creator
Bodley, Rachel L., 1831-1888
id
WM.291
repository
extent
2 boxes (0.75 linear feet)
inclusive date
1856-1891
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents some of Dr. Bodley's endeavors as Dean of the Faculty of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1848-2009
(Bulk: 1928-1994)
Extent: 240 linear feet
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records
creator
id
HU.003
repository
extent
240 linear feet
inclusive date
1848-2009
bulk date
1928-1994
abstract/scope/contents
Hahnemann University’s long history began in 1848 with the founding of the Homeopathic Medical College of Pennsylvania. Over the years, the institution evolved in many ways, eventually becoming Hahnemann University and, later, the Drexel University College of Medicine. In the mid- to late-twentieth century, with the decline of homeopathy, Hahnemann re-invented itself as a nationally known academic medical center with prominence in cardiac surgery and cardiology, oncology, transplantation, training of non-physician health professionals, community health, and community mental health. This expertise led to many firsts for Hahnemann, including international advances in cardiac surgery. The Hahnemann University Academic Affairs records house the files of Hahnemann University and date from 1848 to 2009. The collection consists of annual and accreditation reports; minutes, memoranda, and correspondence from various committees, councils, and departments; records of student life and research; departmental research and publications; curriculum development and teaching materials; and other records created as a result of medical school governance. This collection thoroughly evidences the challenges, mission, accomplishments, and changes of a long-standing medical education program. While similar medical school records likely exist elsewhere, this collection provides a unique perspective on a school rooted in alternative medicine that evolved to remain prominent in the ever-shifting realms of medical education, research, and practice.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1923-1990
Extent: 8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers
creator
id
WM.244
repository
extent
8.3 linear feet (24 boxes (21 document boxes, 3 oversize flat boxes))
inclusive date
1923-1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D., also known as “Dr. Jessie,” was an internationally recognized physician and early pioneer of birth control legislation and family planning, active from the 1930s until the early 1970s. The Jessie Laird Brodie, M.D. papers document Brodie’s professional life and work, focusing on Brodie’s work for various causes and organizations in family planning and contraception, such as legislation for contraception in Oregon and the Planned Parenthood Association, the Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance (PAMWA), the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), and her work with the Pathfinder Fund in Latin America. The collection, which dates from 1923 to 1990, is divided into five series: “Geographical Files;” “Subject Files;” “Chronological Files;” “Pan American Medical Women’s Alliance” (PAMWA); and “Visual Materials.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1820-2003
(Bulk: 1820-1940)
Creator:
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880
Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
Extent: 7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. (View full finding aid.)
title
Constantine Hering and Calvin B. Knerr family papers
creator
Hering, Constantine, M.D., 1800-1880 Knerr, Calvin B., M.D., (Calvin Brobst Knerr), 1847-1940
id
HU.100
repository
extent
7 linear feet (12 document boxes, 4 half-size document boxes)
inclusive date
1820-2003
bulk date
1820-1940
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. Constantine Hering (1800-1880), born and educated in Germany, immigrated to Philadelphia in 1833 and devoted his life to the study, practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States. As such, he is considered the father of homeopathy in America. Hering founded several schools and organizations devoted to teaching homeopathy, especially the North American Academy of the Homeopathic Healing Arts, aka the Allentown Academy, in 1836, and the Hahnemann Medical College of Philadelphia in 1848. Hering’s pupil and eventual son-in-law and professional assistant, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr, also practiced homeopathy. Knerr was integrally involved in the editing of two of Hering’s books and also devoted much time and effort to writing Hering’s biography, The Life of Hering. This collection primarily houses papers of Dr. Constantine Hering and his son-in-law, Dr. Calvin B. Knerr from 1820 to 1940. To a significantly lesser extent, the collection documents the North American Academy of the Homoeopathic Healing Arts, as well as the Hering, Knerr and Husmann families. The collection is comprised of correspondence; printed materials and publications, especially articles written by Hering; manuscripts; notes; diaries; medical school notebooks; family photographs; and other records; which evidence the life and work of Hering, Knerr and their families, as well as the practice and education of homeopathic medicine in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1861-1964
Creator:
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing.
Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Extent: 8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia Records
creator
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing. Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.WM.002
repository
extent
8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1861-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1917-1982
Creator:
American Women's Hospitals.
Extent: 7.5 linear feet
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Women's Hospitals Service photographs
creator
American Women's Hospitals.
id
WM.SC.144
repository
extent
7.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The American Women's Hospitals (AWH) developed from the War Service Committee of the Medical Women's National Association (later called the American Medical Women's Association) in 1917, to provide, register and finance American women physicians for war work; to offer medical and emergency relief to refugees; and, later, to provide international public health service. In 1959, AWH became an independent agency and remained such until 1982 when it re-merged with the American Medical Women's Association. The collection houses photographs created by the American Women's Hospitals Service (AWHS) from 1917 to 1982 to document and promote the organization's efforts to provide health care to under-serviced populations in the United States and abroad. The photographs were frequently used in fundraising and publicity campaigns. As a result, many are annotated to identify the primary subject, geographic location and, occasionally, individuals, providing a graphic chronicle of the variety and forms of AWHS fieldwork worldwide. Researchers will find images of field and clinic work conducted in Africa, Albania, Bolivia, France, Greece, India, Korea, Russia, Switzerland, Turkey, United States, Vietnam and Yugoslavia, to name a few. In addition, there are a few files at the end containing portraits of AWHS personnel and significant women in medicine that were also associated with the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. In addition to the photographic record, this collection also includes a few files of Dr. Esther Lovejoy correspondence and written material used by Dr. Alma Dea Morani to prepare for a lecture in 1974.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1925-1975
(Bulk: 1946-1975)
Creator:
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
Extent: 1.9 linear feet
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marion Spencer Fay Papers
creator
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
id
WM.SC.457
repository
extent
1.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-1975
bulk date
1946-1975
abstract/scope/contents
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1890-1970
(Bulk: 1925-1965)
Creator:
Hay, George A.
Extent: 4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
George A. Hay collection of administrative files of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania
creator
Hay, George A.
id
WMCP.R.293
repository
extent
4.25 linear feet (8 document boxes; 1 half size document box)
inclusive date
1890-1970
bulk date
1925-1965
abstract/scope/contents
From 1925 to 1970, the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (WMC) underwent significant change, adapting to both survive and prosper in a transforming society. Administrative change was brought about and explored to spark institutional growth and/or to mollify financial stress. Among the more significant events in the College’s history was the 1930 move to new and larger facilities in East Falls, and an administrative reorganization in 1942. In the 1940s and 1960s, WMC also explored the financial and administrative benefits of merging with other institutions in the Philadelphia area; Kensington Women’s Hospital and the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Jefferson Medical College. Amidst all of the change, WMC continued to honor its traditions and celebrate milestones, especially its Centennial Anniversary in 1950. In 1970, the College made the decision to admit male students for the first time and change its name to the Medical College of Pennsylvania. The George A. Hay collection of administrative files is a assemblage of records created by various administrators of the Woman’s College of Medicine from 1925 to 1965. Creators of the records include: George A. Hay, comptroller; Sarah Logan Wister Starr, president of the Board of Corporators; Vida Hunt Francis, secretary; Dr. Ellen Culver Potter, a member of the faculty as well as acting president in the 1940s; and others. In addition, there is a small sampling of very early administrative records, that are dated 1796, and from 1861 to 1928. Those files include a deed to land in East Falls in Philadelphia, report cards, correspondence and other materials. Generally speaking, the records housed in this collection evidence the day to day administration of the college, especially relating to its finances; financial planning; fundraising; future needs of the college; and a few significant landmarks in institutional history, the 1942 administrative reorganization, the 1950 Centennial Celebration, and explored institutional mergers with Jefferson Medical College, Kensington Women’s Hospital and Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1913-1971
(Bulk: 1920-1950)
Creator:
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
Extent: 2 linear feet
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bertha Van Hoosen papers
creator
Van Hoosen, Bertha, M.D., 1863-1952
id
WM.SC.145
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1971
bulk date
1920-1950
abstract/scope/contents
Bertha Van Hoosen (1863-1952), a doctor specializing in obstetrics and gynecology in Chicago, IL, founded the American Medical Women's Association. Her collection includes correspondence, journal articles, plans for a Medical Women's Library at Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania, teaching material, images, and bibliographic material regarding women in medicine. A large part of the collection concerns Van Hoosen's interests in the National Medical Women's Association, later the American Medical Women's Association and the Medical Women's Library. There are also photographic images, x-rays and illustrations of medical case studies conducted by Van Hoosen.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1924-1987
Creator:
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
Extent: 3.4 linear feet
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dr. Sophie Trent papers
creator
Trent, Sophie, M.D.
id
WM.SC.536
repository
extent
3.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Doctor Sophie Trent (b. 1917) was an internist who practiced medicine from 1943 to 1987. She practiced in Connecticut, Florida, Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas. During her Caribbean years, Trent worked with patients who were afflicted with elephantiasis, liver fluke disease and other tropical parasites. This collection, which dates from 1924 to 1989, houses records related to Trent's medical education and her research on tropical diseases from the 1940s to 1960s. There are also several examples of short medical texts, published volumes of Trent's poetry, and microscope slides of biological specimens related to Trent's work.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »