Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« FirstPrevious • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 26 - 43 out of 43  
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1988
(Bulk: 1980-1990)
title
LeClair Bissell Papers
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.533
repository
extent
1 box
inclusive date
circa 1988
bulk date
1980-1990
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1850-1946
Creator:
Poynter, Lida
Extent: 30 linear feet
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker. (View full finding aid.)
title
Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker
creator
Poynter, Lida
id
WM.SC.126
repository
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1850-1946
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Lida Poynter collection on Dr. Mary E. Walker consists of Poynter’s unpublished manuscript and research notes on the life of Dr. Mary E. Walker. Mary E. Walker (1832-1919) was a physician who served as a surgeon during the Civil War. She was awarded the Medal of Honor for her service and remains the only woman to have received the Medal. Throughout her life, she wrote, lectured and taught on medicine, dress reform, suffrage, and women’s rights, in general. In addition to Poynter's manuscript and research notes, this collection features correspondence to and from Mary Walker, correspondence to and from Lida Poynter, and photographs of Mary Walker.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1819-1902
Creator:
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901
Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879
Longshore, Thomas E.
Extent: 20 folders
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Longshore family papers
creator
Longshore, Hannah, 1819-1901 Longshore, J. S. (Joseph Skelton), 1809-1879 Longshore, Thomas E.
id
WM.SC.075
repository
extent
20 folders
inclusive date
1819-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Longshore family was active in Philadelphia medicine in the 19th century and the Longshore family papers includes material from Thomas Longshore, his brother Joseph Longshore, and his wife Hannah E. Myers Longshore. Thomas Longshore was a teacher and a supporter of women's education and social reform, especially abolition. Joseph Longshore (1809-1879) was a physician who supported women in acquiring quality medical education. He was active in founding the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and later, the Penn Medical University in Philadelphia. Hannah E. Myers Longshore, M.D. (1819-1901), enrolled in and graduated from the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania’s first class in 1851 and became Philadelphia’s first female physician in private practice. She lectured extensively first at the Female Medical College of Pennsylvania and then at the Pennsylvania Medical University. She operated her private practice in Philadelphia for forty years before retiring in 1892. The Longshore family papers contains biographical and autobiographical sketches, a history of the Female Medical College, and a small amount of correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1975-2008
(Bulk: 1992-1994)
Creator:
Yeakel, Lynn Hardy, 1941-, Donor
Extent: 14.5 linear feet (21 doc boxes; 2 half doc boxes; 2 oversized boxes; 1 record carton; 1 poster)
Lynn Hardy Yeakel was born in 1941 in Portsmouth, Virginia to Representative Porter Hardy, Jr and his wife, Lynn. She graduated in 1963 from Randolph-Macon Woman's College and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She married Paul Yeakel in 1965. Lynn Yeakel has also earned a Master's of Science in Management from American College. She has launched three political campaigns: for U.S. Senate in 1992; as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the governor of Pennsylvania in 1994; and as a Democratic candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate in 2002. Yeakel is also a long-time advocate for girls' and women's rights. She co-founded Womens Way in 1976, served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Director of the United States Department of Health and Human Services from 1994 to 2000, and has been the Director of Drexel University College of Medicine's Institute for Women's Health and Leadership since 2002. Lynn Yeakel has made four donations to the Legacy Center since 2010, one being the institutional records of the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership. Her personal papers consist of evidence of her work in several organizations, including Womens Way and the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Additionally, the Legacy Center has received newsclippings, correspondence, and publications concerning Yeakel's three political campaigns. Finally, the collections house notes, proposals, and manuscripts relating to her 2010 book, "A Will and a Way." The 3 donations which make up her personal papers are described in one source. (View full finding aid.)
title
Lynn Yeakel papers
creator
Yeakel, Lynn Hardy, 1941-, Donor
id
DU.2010.017
repository
extent
14.5 linear feet (21 doc boxes; 2 half doc boxes; 2 oversized boxes; 1 record carton; 1 poster)
inclusive date
1975-2008
bulk date
1992-1994
abstract/scope/contents
Lynn Hardy Yeakel was born in 1941 in Portsmouth, Virginia to Representative Porter Hardy, Jr and his wife, Lynn. She graduated in 1963 from Randolph-Macon Woman's College and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She married Paul Yeakel in 1965. Lynn Yeakel has also earned a Master's of Science in Management from American College. She has launched three political campaigns: for U.S. Senate in 1992; as a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the governor of Pennsylvania in 1994; and as a Democratic candidate for Pennsylvania State Senate in 2002. Yeakel is also a long-time advocate for girls' and women's rights. She co-founded Womens Way in 1976, served as Mid-Atlantic Regional Director of the United States Department of Health and Human Services from 1994 to 2000, and has been the Director of Drexel University College of Medicine's Institute for Women's Health and Leadership since 2002. Lynn Yeakel has made four donations to the Legacy Center since 2010, one being the institutional records of the Institute for Women's Health and Leadership. Her personal papers consist of evidence of her work in several organizations, including Womens Way and the United States Department of Health and Human Services. Additionally, the Legacy Center has received newsclippings, correspondence, and publications concerning Yeakel's three political campaigns. Finally, the collections house notes, proposals, and manuscripts relating to her 2010 book, "A Will and a Way." The 3 donations which make up her personal papers are described in one source.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1925-1975
(Bulk: 1946-1975)
Creator:
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
Extent: 1.9 linear feet
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marion Spencer Fay Papers
creator
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
id
WM.SC.457
repository
extent
1.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-1975
bulk date
1946-1975
abstract/scope/contents
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1925-1975
(Bulk: 1946-1975)
Creator:
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
Extent: 1.9 linear feet
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marion Spencer Fay Papers
creator
Fay, Marion Spencer, b. 1896
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.457
repository
extent
1.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1925-1975
bulk date
1946-1975
abstract/scope/contents
Marion Spencer Fay (1898-1990) served as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1963 and promoted the recruitment of, education for, and recognition of women physicians. This collection includes the texts of many of Dr. Fay's speeches as well as a selection of professional and administrative papers from her time as dean and president of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1850-1948
Extent: 5 boxes
title
Martha Tracy papers
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.421
repository
extent
5 boxes
inclusive date
1850-1948
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
[ABSTRACT]
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1883-1985
Extent: 0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed. (View full finding aid.)
title
Mary Pauline Root papers
creator
id
WM.257
repository
extent
0.4 linear feet (1 document box)
inclusive date
1883-1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. (Mary) Pauline Root (b. 1859, d.1944) was a graduate of Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania in 1883. She was the first female doctor to recieve an internship at Blockley Hospital in Philadelphia, and was reportedly the first female doctor to be sent on a mission by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. She carried out medical missionary work from 1885-1893 at a women's hospital in Madurai, India. Root completed post-graduate work at the Manhattan Eye and Ear Hospital before she was employed as the resident physican at Smith College from 1906-1909, where she taught courses on "hygiene". From 1919-1921, Root traveled around the United States teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities and Indian Government Schools for the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs. This collection contains both written and photographic material, spanning the years 1883-1985. The richness of this collection is found in Root's notes from her time spent teaching "social hygiene" in Native American communities across the United States. The materials concerning missionary work in this collection are more focused on the Christian mission rather than focused on the medical work performed.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1919-1996
Extent: 32 linear feet (64 boxes; 1 flat box; 68 hours of audio tape)
The MWIA Secretariat is the Association Headquarters, the location from which the Secretary General and her administrative support coordinate and facilitate Association business. The records cover the period 1919 – 1996. The collection includes correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, financial records, and audio recordings, all documenting the daily business and activities of MWIA and reflecting the Association leadership and membership. (View full finding aid.)
title
Medical Women's International Association records
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.174
repository
extent
32 linear feet (64 boxes; 1 flat box; 68 hours of audio tape)
inclusive date
1919-1996
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The MWIA Secretariat is the Association Headquarters, the location from which the Secretary General and her administrative support coordinate and facilitate Association business. The records cover the period 1919 – 1996. The collection includes correspondence, meeting agendas and minutes, financial records, and audio recordings, all documenting the daily business and activities of MWIA and reflecting the Association leadership and membership.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1870-1924, 1947
Creator:
Chicago Woman's Medical College.
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary. (View full finding aid.)
title
Northwestern University Woman's Medical School records/Chicago Woman's Medical College
creator
Chicago Woman's Medical College. Northwestern University Woman's Medical School.
id
WM.029
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
1870-1924, 1947
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Woman’s Hospital Medical College of Chicago was founded in 1870 by Mary H. Thompson (1829-1895) and Dr. William Heath Byford (1817-1890) in order to provide equal education opportunities for female medical students in the Chicago area. In 1879, the name of the medical school was changed to the Woman’s Medical College of Chicago; and in 1892, it was taken over by the Northwestern University and renamed the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School. Over the next ten years, financial difficulties arose and in 1902, the medical school was dismantled. The Woman’s Clinical Dispensary, “a working corps of clinical teachers and assistants” who held clinics, survived until 1907. This collection documents the Chicago Woman’s Medical College and its transitions to the Northwestern University Woman’s Medical School from 1870 to 1945, with the bulk of the material created from 1870 to 1924. The collection consists of Alumnae Association material, alumnae biographies, correspondence, histories of the college, alumnae surveys, annual annoucements, reports, minutes, and correspondence, as well as limited information on the Woman's Clinical Dispensary.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1868-2015
Creator:
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
Extent: 29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events (View full finding aid.)
title
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia records
creator
Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.2011.001
repository
extent
29 linear feet (39 document boxes, 10 record cartons, 5 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1868-2015
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia was founded in 1868 by Dr. Albert Holmes Smith and nine area doctors. The organization was created for those in the medical profession who were interested in the "diseases and problems particular to women." This collection contains the business records of the Obstetrical Society of Philadelphia from 1868-2015. These files contain administrative records relating to meetings, financial records, newsletters published by the Obstetrical Society, continuing medical education efforts, patient records from an Obstetrical Society committee’s study of pelvic cancer, and recordings of meetings and events
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1967-2015
(Bulk: 1985-2005)
Creator:
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
Extent: 1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women records
creator
Philadelphia Club of Medical Women.
id
WM.394
repository
extent
1.66 linear feet (4 document boxes)
inclusive date
1967-2015
bulk date
1985-2005
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the administrative records of the Philadelphia Club of Medical Women. The records date from 1926-2016. The collection contains meeting minutes, membership lists and applications, financial records, correspondence, and program planning information.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1856-1891
Creator:
Bodley, Rachel L., 1831-1888
Extent: 2 boxes (0.75 linear feet)
This collection documents some of Dr. Bodley's endeavors as Dean of the Faculty of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania. (View full finding aid.)
title
Rachel L. Bodley papers
creator
Bodley, Rachel L., 1831-1888
id
WM.291
repository
extent
2 boxes (0.75 linear feet)
inclusive date
1856-1891
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents some of Dr. Bodley's endeavors as Dean of the Faculty of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
circa 1975
(Bulk: 1975-1976)
Extent: 2.5 linear feet (2 record cartons)
title
Rose Faithe Papers
creator
id
DUCOM.WM.SC.534
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet (2 record cartons)
inclusive date
circa 1975
bulk date
1975-1976
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1823-1987
(Bulk: 1919-1981)
Creator:
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
Extent: 10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Stella Yates Botelho papers
creator
Botelho, Stella Y., 1919-, Creator
id
WM.363
repository
extent
10 linear feet (24 boxes (19 document boxes, 5 flat boxes). also textiles in one large garment box, shelved separately)
inclusive date
1823-1987
bulk date
1919-1981
abstract/scope/contents
Stella Yates Botelho, M.D. (b. 1919) is an alumnus of Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania (M.D. 1949) and the University of Pennsylvania (A.B. 1940). She specialized in the field of physiology and had a distinguished career as a researcher and teacher. The papers include materials documenting both her personal life and professional career. While in medical school, Botelho contracted tuberculosis and spent nearly a year at Eagleville Sanatorium, which is discussed in her diary from this time. At the University of Pennsylvania Botelho taught courses in applied and medical physiology and she maintained an active research lab, studying respiratory physiology, neuromuscular physiology, the spinal cord, and secretion of exocrine glands. She published over 40 scientific articles in the field of physiology and was the principal investigator on numerous scientific grants. She mentored dozens of pre- and post-doctoral students. Although Botelho spent nearly her entire life in the Philadelphia area, her love of travel is well documented in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1861-1964
Creator:
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing.
Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Extent: 8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia Records
creator
Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. School of Nursing. Women's Hospital of Philadelphia.
id
DUCOM.WM.002
repository
extent
8.5 linear feet (16 document boxes, 2 half document boxes, 2 pamphlet boxes, and 2 flat boxes)
inclusive date
1861-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in 1861 by Ann Preston, M.D., the Woman’s Hospital of Philadelphia provided clinical experience for the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania students and practical training for nurses. In 1929, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia, retaining the latter's name. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains minutes of the Board of Managers and various committees, dating from 1861 to 1964; financial records, including auditor's reports and bequests, and dating from 1894 to 1964; clinical reports, dating from the 1890s; a register of deaths dating from 1872 to 1890; board of manager minutes (1863 to 1881)and pamphlets and bulletins (1923-1924; 1957-1960) from the hospital's Training School for Nurses.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1919-1942
Creator:
Sheppard, Walter Lee, -1911, Creator
Extent: 4.5 linear feet (9 letter doc boxes, 1 legal doc box, 1 half doc box)
Walter Lee Sheppard was an important member of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania community starting in 1919 and running through the early 1940s. Beginning as the college's legal councel, he also served on the Board of Corporators, held the position of chairman for the Commitee of Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure, was a member of the Executive Committee of the Corporation, and eventaully became the Vice President of the College. This collection includes minutes, reports, correspondence, and general material gathered from the various roles SHeppard held. It includes administrative records of the Woman's Medical College and Hospital, new building sites, appropriations and bequests, extensive correspondence, and several court cases from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, for which Sheppard was the college's lawyer. (View full finding aid.)
title
W. L. Sheppard records
creator
Sheppard, Walter Lee, -1911, Creator
id
WM.042
repository
extent
4.5 linear feet (9 letter doc boxes, 1 legal doc box, 1 half doc box)
inclusive date
1919-1942
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Walter Lee Sheppard was an important member of the Woman's Medical College of Pennsylvania community starting in 1919 and running through the early 1940s. Beginning as the college's legal councel, he also served on the Board of Corporators, held the position of chairman for the Commitee of Appointments, Promotion, and Tenure, was a member of the Executive Committee of the Corporation, and eventaully became the Vice President of the College. This collection includes minutes, reports, correspondence, and general material gathered from the various roles SHeppard held. It includes administrative records of the Woman's Medical College and Hospital, new building sites, appropriations and bequests, extensive correspondence, and several court cases from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, for which Sheppard was the college's lawyer.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Drexel University: College of Medicine Legacy Center [Contact Us]
1899-1932
Creator:
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children.
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Founded by Dr. Elizabeth Comly-Howell in 1889, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women was established in order to provide a place in West Philadelphia where women could be treated by women. In 1929, the hospital merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. At the time of the merger, it was arranged that all maternity cases would be sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital, and surgical cases would be kept at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains Board of Manager records, Executive Committee records and historical materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women records
creator
West Philadelphia Hospital for Women and Children.
id
WM.SC.160
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1899-1932
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded by Dr. Elizabeth Comly-Howell in 1889, the West Philadelphia Hospital for Women was established in order to provide a place in West Philadelphia where women could be treated by women. In 1929, the hospital merged with the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. At the time of the merger, it was arranged that all maternity cases would be sent to the West Philadelphia Hospital, and surgical cases would be kept at the Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia. The Woman's Hospital of Philadelphia continued in existence until 1964 when it was absorbed by the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. The collection contains Board of Manager records, Executive Committee records and historical materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« FirstPrevious • Next • Last »