Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Elwyn Historical Archives and Museum
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 2 out of 2  
Elwyn Historical Archives and Museum [Contact Us]
1852-2006
Creator:
Elwyn Institute
Extent: 125 linear feet
Elwyn is one of the oldest service organizations in the United States for individuals with intellectual disabilities. Tracing its roots to a Philadelphia school for "mental defectives" founded in 1852, and officially incorporated in 1853 as The Pennsylvania Training School for Feeble-Minded Children, Elwyn has remained at the vanguard in the understanding, care, and treatment of intellectual disability for over 150 years. One of its most influential staff members, Superintendent Dr. Isaac Kerlin, was instrumental in organizing the field's national professional organization, today known as the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. The Elwyn records, 1852-2006, consist of materials from Elwyn's administrative bodies and staff members including past superintendents and presidents, student records, materials published by Elwyn including publicity materials, photographs, and various audio and audiovisual materials. The collection is organized into six series: I. Administrative and financial records, II. Staff papers, III. Student records, IV. Publications and press materials, V. Photographs, and VI. Audiovisual materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Elwyn records
creator
Elwyn Institute
id
ELW.02
repository
extent
125 linear feet
inclusive date
1852-2006
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Elwyn is one of the oldest service organizations in the United States for individuals with intellectual disabilities. Tracing its roots to a Philadelphia school for "mental defectives" founded in 1852, and officially incorporated in 1853 as The Pennsylvania Training School for Feeble-Minded Children, Elwyn has remained at the vanguard in the understanding, care, and treatment of intellectual disability for over 150 years. One of its most influential staff members, Superintendent Dr. Isaac Kerlin, was instrumental in organizing the field's national professional organization, today known as the American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. The Elwyn records, 1852-2006, consist of materials from Elwyn's administrative bodies and staff members including past superintendents and presidents, student records, materials published by Elwyn including publicity materials, photographs, and various audio and audiovisual materials. The collection is organized into six series: I. Administrative and financial records, II. Staff papers, III. Student records, IV. Publications and press materials, V. Photographs, and VI. Audiovisual materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Elwyn Historical Archives and Museum [Contact Us]
1815-1965
(Bulk: 1930-1965)
Creator:
Orphan Society of Philadelphia (Pa.)
Extent: 4.5 linear feet
The Orphan Society of Philadelphia, founded in 1814, was the first non-sectarian orphanage in Pennsylvania. In 1965, due to low enrollment and financial and staffing issues, the Orphan Society merged with the Elwyn School, now known as Elwyn, in Delaware County, Pa. The Orphan Society of Philadelphia records, 1815-1965 (bulk 1930-1965), consist of administrative and financial records, legal documents, historical files, orphan records, and other materials. Of special interest is an Orphan Asylum register listing orphan admissions (name, birth date, admission date) and dates of discharge or death from 1815 to 1896. (View full finding aid.)
title
Orphan Society of Philadelphia records
creator
Orphan Society of Philadelphia (Pa.)
id
ELW.01
repository
extent
4.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1815-1965
bulk date
1930-1965
abstract/scope/contents
The Orphan Society of Philadelphia, founded in 1814, was the first non-sectarian orphanage in Pennsylvania. In 1965, due to low enrollment and financial and staffing issues, the Orphan Society merged with the Elwyn School, now known as Elwyn, in Delaware County, Pa. The Orphan Society of Philadelphia records, 1815-1965 (bulk 1930-1965), consist of administrative and financial records, legal documents, historical files, orphan records, and other materials. Of special interest is an Orphan Asylum register listing orphan admissions (name, birth date, admission date) and dates of discharge or death from 1815 to 1896.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet