Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 24 out of 24  
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1920-1982
(Bulk: 1981-1982)
Extent: 2 linear feet
This collection contains photographs, notes and interpretations of multiple aerial mapping projects conducted over the city of Philadelphia. The largest of the ?Aerial maps? series (1981-1982) contains two linear feet of black and white photos which are the result of a major Fairmount Park Commission mapping project undertaken between 1981 and 1983. The survey was performed by Aerial Data Reproduction Associates, Incorporated. This series contains visual documentation of East and West Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, Cobb?s Creek Park and Tacony Creek Park. The series contains both positive and negative images. The photos are accompanied by three binders of analytical aero-triangulation data and field notes. (View full finding aid.)
title
Aerial Mapping Project Files
creator
id
FP.2011.007
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1920-1982
bulk date
1981-1982
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains photographs, notes and interpretations of multiple aerial mapping projects conducted over the city of Philadelphia. The largest of the ?Aerial maps? series (1981-1982) contains two linear feet of black and white photos which are the result of a major Fairmount Park Commission mapping project undertaken between 1981 and 1983. The survey was performed by Aerial Data Reproduction Associates, Incorporated. This series contains visual documentation of East and West Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, Cobb?s Creek Park and Tacony Creek Park. The series contains both positive and negative images. The photos are accompanied by three binders of analytical aero-triangulation data and field notes.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
title
Bartram's Garden Maps, Plans, and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2012.003
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1999
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1841-1983
(Bulk: 1870-1921)
Extent: 100 linear feet
This collection consists of maps, plans and drawings which were recovered from the basement of Memorial Hall in the 1980s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Basement recovery drawings
creator
id
FP.2010.008
repository
extent
100 linear feet
inclusive date
1841-1983
bulk date
1870-1921
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of maps, plans and drawings which were recovered from the basement of Memorial Hall in the 1980s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
circa 1876
Extent: 1000 linear feet
The Centennial Exhibition, officially designated the International Exhibition of Arts, Manufactures and Products of the Soil and Mine, marked the first World?s Fair to be held in the United States. While it was an international event, the theme of the fair was clearly American as the impetus to hold the event was the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the achievement of American independence. Operating from May 10th to November 10th, 1876, the fair hosted over ten million visitors- or roughly 1/5 of the population of the United States at the time. Thirty seven international countries participated in the event, along with 26 states. The Exhibition promoted international commerce, and was a place where one could view a large number of diverse products in one location. Visitors could easily walk from an exhibit on Japanese art, to one of products produced by West Virginians. It was an excellent opportunity for all, particularly Americans removed the European continent, to showcase their innovations and products to new markets. Over 30,000 businesses exhibited their practical and luxury wares, which was the largest consumer exhibition to date. President Ulysses S. Grant and Brazilian Emperor Dom Pedro II attended the opening day ceremonies, and turned on the Corliss Steam Engine which was designed to power most of the machines during the Exhibition. Notable inventions which were debuted at the Exhibition include the penny farthing bicycle, Alexander Graham Bell?s telephone, the Remington Typewriter, and Heinz Ketchup. The Centennial Exhibition took place on over 285 acres in West Fairmount Park, and saw the erection of a number of temporary and permanent buildings for the display of art, agriculture, and machinery. In addition to the many smaller building, five major buildings were erected - Memorial Hall (Art Gallery), Horticultural Hall, the Main Exhibition Building, Machinery Hall, and Agricultural Hall. Henry Pettit, architect, and Joseph Wilson, engineer, designed and constructed the Main Exhibition Building and Machinery Hall, two of the largest buildings in the world at the time, while James Windram designed Agricultural Hall, built to resemble an amalgamation of barn structures. Fairmount Park engineer Hermann J. Schwarzmann, who had never previously planned a building, designed both Horticultural Hall and Memorial Hall. Both were intended to be permanent structures, however a hurricane in the 1950s caused severe damage to Horticultural Hall which led to its demolition. Today, Memorial Hall is one of the few buildings still standing from the Exhibition (in addition to the Ohio House and a pair of ticket booths) and is home the Please Touch Museum for Children. (View full finding aid.)
title
Centennial Exhibition Plans and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2010.005
repository
extent
1000 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1876
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Centennial Exhibition, officially designated the International Exhibition of Arts, Manufactures and Products of the Soil and Mine, marked the first World?s Fair to be held in the United States. While it was an international event, the theme of the fair was clearly American as the impetus to hold the event was the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the achievement of American independence. Operating from May 10th to November 10th, 1876, the fair hosted over ten million visitors- or roughly 1/5 of the population of the United States at the time. Thirty seven international countries participated in the event, along with 26 states. The Exhibition promoted international commerce, and was a place where one could view a large number of diverse products in one location. Visitors could easily walk from an exhibit on Japanese art, to one of products produced by West Virginians. It was an excellent opportunity for all, particularly Americans removed the European continent, to showcase their innovations and products to new markets. Over 30,000 businesses exhibited their practical and luxury wares, which was the largest consumer exhibition to date. President Ulysses S. Grant and Brazilian Emperor Dom Pedro II attended the opening day ceremonies, and turned on the Corliss Steam Engine which was designed to power most of the machines during the Exhibition. Notable inventions which were debuted at the Exhibition include the penny farthing bicycle, Alexander Graham Bell?s telephone, the Remington Typewriter, and Heinz Ketchup. The Centennial Exhibition took place on over 285 acres in West Fairmount Park, and saw the erection of a number of temporary and permanent buildings for the display of art, agriculture, and machinery. In addition to the many smaller building, five major buildings were erected - Memorial Hall (Art Gallery), Horticultural Hall, the Main Exhibition Building, Machinery Hall, and Agricultural Hall. Henry Pettit, architect, and Joseph Wilson, engineer, designed and constructed the Main Exhibition Building and Machinery Hall, two of the largest buildings in the world at the time, while James Windram designed Agricultural Hall, built to resemble an amalgamation of barn structures. Fairmount Park engineer Hermann J. Schwarzmann, who had never previously planned a building, designed both Horticultural Hall and Memorial Hall. Both were intended to be permanent structures, however a hurricane in the 1950s caused severe damage to Horticultural Hall which led to its demolition. Today, Memorial Hall is one of the few buildings still standing from the Exhibition (in addition to the Ohio House and a pair of ticket booths) and is home the Please Touch Museum for Children.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1902-2003
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Part of Philadelphia?s Fairmount Park System, Cobb?s Creek Park has a rich and diverse history of transformative use. Located in the western and southwestern regions of Philadelphia, Cobb?s Creek Park was developed alongside the Cobb?s Creek watershed and contains approximately 800 acres of preserved land. Park development along such watersheds is fairly unique to the city of Philadelphia, and is not nearly as common in other urban park systems. While Cobb?s Creek is the predominant waterway for the region, the park is also the site of tributaries such as Naylor?s Run and Indian Creek. Cobb?s Creek Park offers a variety of public recreational attractions. The natural beauty of the park has popularized activities such as hiking and biking, while park recreation centers offer swimming pools, baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, ice skating, roller skating and campgrounds. There are two municipal golf courses available, as well as the Cobb?s Creek Community Environmental Education Center designed to educate the public on naturalist pursuits and environmental science. Cobb?s Creek Park is also home to the historic Blue Bell Inn, which dates back to the Revolutionary Era. Today, the Fairmount Park Commission, in coalition with a variety of departments within Pennsylvania state government, non-profit organizations, and private donors, is actively working to expand the recreational offerings of Cobb?s Creek Park, as well as restore the natural beauty of the region. (View full finding aid.)
title
Cobb's Creek Maps, Plans and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2011.011
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1902-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Part of Philadelphia?s Fairmount Park System, Cobb?s Creek Park has a rich and diverse history of transformative use. Located in the western and southwestern regions of Philadelphia, Cobb?s Creek Park was developed alongside the Cobb?s Creek watershed and contains approximately 800 acres of preserved land. Park development along such watersheds is fairly unique to the city of Philadelphia, and is not nearly as common in other urban park systems. While Cobb?s Creek is the predominant waterway for the region, the park is also the site of tributaries such as Naylor?s Run and Indian Creek. Cobb?s Creek Park offers a variety of public recreational attractions. The natural beauty of the park has popularized activities such as hiking and biking, while park recreation centers offer swimming pools, baseball fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, ice skating, roller skating and campgrounds. There are two municipal golf courses available, as well as the Cobb?s Creek Community Environmental Education Center designed to educate the public on naturalist pursuits and environmental science. Cobb?s Creek Park is also home to the historic Blue Bell Inn, which dates back to the Revolutionary Era. Today, the Fairmount Park Commission, in coalition with a variety of departments within Pennsylvania state government, non-profit organizations, and private donors, is actively working to expand the recreational offerings of Cobb?s Creek Park, as well as restore the natural beauty of the region.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
c. 1880
Extent: 2 containers
Stereographs represent an early form of "three dimensional" photography. Images are duplicated and placed side-by-side in order to create a three dimensional effect, an effect which is greatly enhanced with the use of a stereoscopic viewer. Stereographs were an extremely popular commercial success in the late 19th century, largely because they were easily reproduceable. This created an availability and affordability which attracted a variety of classes. Many of the stereographs featured in this collection were created by James Cremer, who owned and operated James Cremer's Stereoscopic Emporium in central Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Cremer Stereographs Collection
creator
id
FP.2011.004
repository
extent
2 containers
inclusive date
c. 1880
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Stereographs represent an early form of "three dimensional" photography. Images are duplicated and placed side-by-side in order to create a three dimensional effect, an effect which is greatly enhanced with the use of a stereoscopic viewer. Stereographs were an extremely popular commercial success in the late 19th century, largely because they were easily reproduceable. This created an availability and affordability which attracted a variety of classes. Many of the stereographs featured in this collection were created by James Cremer, who owned and operated James Cremer's Stereoscopic Emporium in central Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1684-2010
Extent: 98 linear feet
Items in this collection relate to East and West Fairmount Park, the original components of what has become the vast Fairmount Park system. Unique in its composition, these areas not only contain naturalist landscapes, but they are also home to a truly diverse set of historic and functional structures. In addition to a vast trail system and traditional recreational facilities (such as swimming pools and baseball diamonds), these parks are also home to an array of 18th and 19th century historic houses, the nation's first zoo, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the imposing Fairmount Water Works, and Philadelphia's iconic Boathouse Row. (View full finding aid.)
title
Fairmount Park Maps, Plans and Drawings collection
creator
id
FP.2010.004
repository
extent
98 linear feet
inclusive date
1684-2010
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Items in this collection relate to East and West Fairmount Park, the original components of what has become the vast Fairmount Park system. Unique in its composition, these areas not only contain naturalist landscapes, but they are also home to a truly diverse set of historic and functional structures. In addition to a vast trail system and traditional recreational facilities (such as swimming pools and baseball diamonds), these parks are also home to an array of 18th and 19th century historic houses, the nation's first zoo, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the imposing Fairmount Water Works, and Philadelphia's iconic Boathouse Row.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1901-2008
Extent: 2 linear feet
Located along the southern boundary of Philadelphia, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park has been a treasured landmark in the city for nearly a century. Designed in the early 1900s by the prestigious Olmsted Brothers architectural firm, the park was originally named League Island Park as an homage to the marshy wetlands from which it was constructed. Diverse in natural resources, the park's nearly 350 acres of land contain a variety of lakes, ponds, and lagoons in addition to the coastal plain environment. The park contains a variety of important wildlife, and has been designated an Important Bird Area by the Audobon Society. Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park is also an important historic location for the city of Philadelphia. Bellaire Manor and the Bake House located on park property were built in the late 1700s and remain wonderfully preserved. Additionally, the park played host to the city's elaborate Sesquicentennial Celebration in 1926. Today, the boat house, gazebo, and American Swedish Historical Museum remain in remembrance of this celebration. In addition to its naturalist resources, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park offers a wide variety of recreational opportunities. Visitors can fish the lakes, race model boats, and bike or stroll along the paved perimeter. There are soccer fields, baseball fields, and tennis courts, as well as the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Golf Course and the FDR Skate Park. This skate park was partially designed by skateboarders, and contains challenging components renowned withing the skateboarding community. (View full finding aid.)
title
Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park (FDR Park) Maps, Plans, and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2012.007
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1901-2008
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Located along the southern boundary of Philadelphia, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park has been a treasured landmark in the city for nearly a century. Designed in the early 1900s by the prestigious Olmsted Brothers architectural firm, the park was originally named League Island Park as an homage to the marshy wetlands from which it was constructed. Diverse in natural resources, the park's nearly 350 acres of land contain a variety of lakes, ponds, and lagoons in addition to the coastal plain environment. The park contains a variety of important wildlife, and has been designated an Important Bird Area by the Audobon Society. Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park is also an important historic location for the city of Philadelphia. Bellaire Manor and the Bake House located on park property were built in the late 1700s and remain wonderfully preserved. Additionally, the park played host to the city's elaborate Sesquicentennial Celebration in 1926. Today, the boat house, gazebo, and American Swedish Historical Museum remain in remembrance of this celebration. In addition to its naturalist resources, Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park offers a wide variety of recreational opportunities. Visitors can fish the lakes, race model boats, and bike or stroll along the paved perimeter. There are soccer fields, baseball fields, and tennis courts, as well as the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Golf Course and the FDR Skate Park. This skate park was partially designed by skateboarders, and contains challenging components renowned withing the skateboarding community.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
c. 1870-1932
title
Glass Plate Negatives
creator
id
FP.2011.005
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
c. 1870-1932
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1917-1921
Creator:
Greber, Jacques
Extent: 1 linear feet
title
Greber Design Collection
creator
Greber, Jacques
id
FP.2010.007
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1917-1921
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
c. 1900s
Extent: 10 linear feet
Sarah Logan Wister Starr (1873-1956) was a prominent philanthropist and member of Philadelphia society throughout the early 20th Century. A descendant of the wealthy and well-known Wister and Logan families, she became a public figure throughout the region for her humanitarian activities. Starr served as State Vice-Chairman of the World War I- era National League for Women?s Services and from 1921 to 1941 as President of the Women?s Medical College of Pennsylvania. The correspondence in this collection is primarily concerned with her public service activity during World War II. During the 1940s and 1950s, Sarah Logan Wister Starr obtained permission to utilize Loudoun Mansion as the meeting place for the Women?s Permanent Emergency Association of Germantown. This organization was formed by her grandmother in the 1870s and revived by Starr in approximately 1940 as an effort to unite local women and provide clothing and knitted material to the Allied troops. The WPEA aligned themselves with the Maple Leaf Fund of Canada- an unusual occurrence for such a prominent American group. This may be attributed to Starr?s close ties with Nova Scotia, as she frequently summered in this location. The Maple Leaf Fund eventually became a branch of the British War Relief Society, and the WEPA worked to provide non-military aid to the people of Great Britain. After the end of World War II, the WPEA remained in effect to continue aiding the less fortunate worldwide. They were major contributors to the Daniel and Emily Oliver Orphanage, a school for boys and orphanage in Lebanon administered by Quakers. They also sent care packages to Holland, Norway, and Greece over the next five years. Included in this collection is the correspondence of the WEPA and, more specifically, their President, Sarah Logan Wister Starr. Correspondence includes meeting invitations and responses, Board membership nominations and acceptances, correspondence with the Maple Leaf Fund, the Maple Leaf newsletter, lists of supplies needed and shipped to this organization, thank you letters from receivers of shipments, and personal correspondence amongst the ladies of this organization. There is also information regarding the everyday upkeep of Loudoun Mansion, such as water bills and repairs to furniture, and a miscellaneous file which includes correspondence to James Starr, Sarah?s husband, from the American Swedish Association regarding involvement with World War II, a copy of a petition for a World Federation (possibly a precursor to the United Nations), and advertisements addressed to the previous owner, Maria Dickinson Logan, for flower market in Rittenhouse Square. The glass plate negative collection was removed from Loudoun and retained and processed by the Fairmount Park Commission Archives in February 2008. They are believed to be the personal negatives of Maria Dickinson Logan and her brother, A.C. Logan. During the Loudoun Deaccessioning Open House held in November 2007. photographic processing materials were identified and exhibited. It is believed that this equpiment was used to process some of the glass plates in this collection. Containers for developer baths and solutions, drying racks, containers, and tongs were exhibited. Other photographs recovered at Loudoun indicate that these negatives were used to develop prints through an albumen process. Most of the glass plates were originally housed in late 19th Century and early 20th Century commercial sleeves. The negatives have been placed in new four-flap acid-free envelopes and reinserted into the original negative holders. Many of the original sleeves bear notations indicating the photographer and the subject. Though most of the objects in this box are glass plates, there are also two framed sandwiched glass prints, A.C. Logan's photo book, and two concave glasses of undetermined purpose. The rest of the contents of this box are glass plate negatives of two vintages and, apparently, two processes. The early vintage of negatives (27-34) are stereoscopes perhaps processed by the dry plate process with considerable deterioration. Plate 1 could also be produced through the wet plate process- though it is difficult to differentiate. Most of the 4" X 6" glass negatives could be the more "recent" dry plate variety. (View full finding aid.)
title
Loudoun Mansion Recovery Collection
creator
id
FP.2008.001
repository
extent
10 linear feet
inclusive date
c. 1900s
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Sarah Logan Wister Starr (1873-1956) was a prominent philanthropist and member of Philadelphia society throughout the early 20th Century. A descendant of the wealthy and well-known Wister and Logan families, she became a public figure throughout the region for her humanitarian activities. Starr served as State Vice-Chairman of the World War I- era National League for Women?s Services and from 1921 to 1941 as President of the Women?s Medical College of Pennsylvania. The correspondence in this collection is primarily concerned with her public service activity during World War II. During the 1940s and 1950s, Sarah Logan Wister Starr obtained permission to utilize Loudoun Mansion as the meeting place for the Women?s Permanent Emergency Association of Germantown. This organization was formed by her grandmother in the 1870s and revived by Starr in approximately 1940 as an effort to unite local women and provide clothing and knitted material to the Allied troops. The WPEA aligned themselves with the Maple Leaf Fund of Canada- an unusual occurrence for such a prominent American group. This may be attributed to Starr?s close ties with Nova Scotia, as she frequently summered in this location. The Maple Leaf Fund eventually became a branch of the British War Relief Society, and the WEPA worked to provide non-military aid to the people of Great Britain. After the end of World War II, the WPEA remained in effect to continue aiding the less fortunate worldwide. They were major contributors to the Daniel and Emily Oliver Orphanage, a school for boys and orphanage in Lebanon administered by Quakers. They also sent care packages to Holland, Norway, and Greece over the next five years. Included in this collection is the correspondence of the WEPA and, more specifically, their President, Sarah Logan Wister Starr. Correspondence includes meeting invitations and responses, Board membership nominations and acceptances, correspondence with the Maple Leaf Fund, the Maple Leaf newsletter, lists of supplies needed and shipped to this organization, thank you letters from receivers of shipments, and personal correspondence amongst the ladies of this organization. There is also information regarding the everyday upkeep of Loudoun Mansion, such as water bills and repairs to furniture, and a miscellaneous file which includes correspondence to James Starr, Sarah?s husband, from the American Swedish Association regarding involvement with World War II, a copy of a petition for a World Federation (possibly a precursor to the United Nations), and advertisements addressed to the previous owner, Maria Dickinson Logan, for flower market in Rittenhouse Square. The glass plate negative collection was removed from Loudoun and retained and processed by the Fairmount Park Commission Archives in February 2008. They are believed to be the personal negatives of Maria Dickinson Logan and her brother, A.C. Logan. During the Loudoun Deaccessioning Open House held in November 2007. photographic processing materials were identified and exhibited. It is believed that this equpiment was used to process some of the glass plates in this collection. Containers for developer baths and solutions, drying racks, containers, and tongs were exhibited. Other photographs recovered at Loudoun indicate that these negatives were used to develop prints through an albumen process. Most of the glass plates were originally housed in late 19th Century and early 20th Century commercial sleeves. The negatives have been placed in new four-flap acid-free envelopes and reinserted into the original negative holders. Many of the original sleeves bear notations indicating the photographer and the subject. Though most of the objects in this box are glass plates, there are also two framed sandwiched glass prints, A.C. Logan's photo book, and two concave glasses of undetermined purpose. The rest of the contents of this box are glass plate negatives of two vintages and, apparently, two processes. The early vintage of negatives (27-34) are stereoscopes perhaps processed by the dry plate process with considerable deterioration. Plate 1 could also be produced through the wet plate process- though it is difficult to differentiate. Most of the 4" X 6" glass negatives could be the more "recent" dry plate variety.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1894-2003
(Bulk: 1970-1996)
title
Manayunk Maps, Plans and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2012.004
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1894-2003
bulk date
1970-1996
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1860-2011
(Bulk: 1922-1983)
Extent: 20 linear feet
Included in this collection are maps, plans, and drawings of some of the locations operated by the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department. It primarily contains documentation on smaller neighborhood parks and squares. In addition to operating these locations, the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department also cares for street trees throughout the city, and a small number of records related to prominent streets (particularly Roosevelt Boulevard) are also included in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Neighborhood Park Maps, Plans and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2012.002
repository
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
1860-2011
bulk date
1922-1983
abstract/scope/contents
Included in this collection are maps, plans, and drawings of some of the locations operated by the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department. It primarily contains documentation on smaller neighborhood parks and squares. In addition to operating these locations, the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department also cares for street trees throughout the city, and a small number of records related to prominent streets (particularly Roosevelt Boulevard) are also included in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1854-1972
Extent: 36 containers
In the early part of the nineteenth century, Philadelphia City Council took action to protect the purity of public water. This involved the acquisition of property on the banks of the Schuylkill River in order to eliminate polluting waste that had previously been generated by various industrial sites along the river. The City?s newly acquired property was dedicated to the health and enjoyment of the citizens of Philadelphia, and became known as Fairmount Park. The Fairmount Park Commission (FPC) was established by Act of the Assembly, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, March 26, 1867. Over the course of this organization?s history (1867 to 2010) the FPC continued to acquire land for the people of Philadelphia, and operated with a single continuous mission: to preserve and protect its open space; provide opportunities for recreation; maintain the landscapes and structures, streams and woodlands that exist within the Fairmount Park System. This collection contains newspaper clippings from various sources, 1854-1972 about the Fairmount Park System and its assets. (View full finding aid.)
title
Newspaper Collection
creator
id
FP.2010.003
repository
extent
36 containers
inclusive date
1854-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In the early part of the nineteenth century, Philadelphia City Council took action to protect the purity of public water. This involved the acquisition of property on the banks of the Schuylkill River in order to eliminate polluting waste that had previously been generated by various industrial sites along the river. The City?s newly acquired property was dedicated to the health and enjoyment of the citizens of Philadelphia, and became known as Fairmount Park. The Fairmount Park Commission (FPC) was established by Act of the Assembly, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, March 26, 1867. Over the course of this organization?s history (1867 to 2010) the FPC continued to acquire land for the people of Philadelphia, and operated with a single continuous mission: to preserve and protect its open space; provide opportunities for recreation; maintain the landscapes and structures, streams and woodlands that exist within the Fairmount Park System. This collection contains newspaper clippings from various sources, 1854-1972 about the Fairmount Park System and its assets.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1897-2003
Extent: 9 linear feet
Located in the northeasternmost region of Philadelphia, Pennypack Park has developed along the Pennypack Creek watershed. Established as protected park space in 1905 for the preservation of surrounding land, Pennypack Park is now comprised of roughly 1400 acres of woodlands, meadows, and marshland. It is also home to one of the oldest stone bridges still in use in the United States- the Holmesburg Bridge erected in 1697. Pennypack Park offers a green retreat for visitors amidst an urban setting, and is home to miles of paved and unpaved trails, recreational and athletic facilities, and important operational structures such as Fox Chase Farm and the Pennypack Environmental Education and Visitors Center. (View full finding aid.)
title
Pennypack Park Maps, Plans and Drawings
creator
id
FP.2011.010
repository
extent
9 linear feet
inclusive date
1897-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Located in the northeasternmost region of Philadelphia, Pennypack Park has developed along the Pennypack Creek watershed. Established as protected park space in 1905 for the preservation of surrounding land, Pennypack Park is now comprised of roughly 1400 acres of woodlands, meadows, and marshland. It is also home to one of the oldest stone bridges still in use in the United States- the Holmesburg Bridge erected in 1697. Pennypack Park offers a green retreat for visitors amidst an urban setting, and is home to miles of paved and unpaved trails, recreational and athletic facilities, and important operational structures such as Fox Chase Farm and the Pennypack Environmental Education and Visitors Center.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
circa 1855-circa 2012
Extent: 52 linear feet
One of the United States' largest and oldest municipally-operated park systems, Fairmount Park encompasses 9,200 acres and includes sixty three neighborhood and regional parks. The formation, growth, maintenance and enjoyment of Fairmount Park has produced one of the longest-standing examples of city and citizen cooperation. This collection contains a multitude of images of the Fairmount Park system created between 1855 and 2000 in a variety of formats. (View full finding aid.)
title
Photographic Prints
creator
id
FP.2010.002
repository
extent
52 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1855-circa 2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
One of the United States' largest and oldest municipally-operated park systems, Fairmount Park encompasses 9,200 acres and includes sixty three neighborhood and regional parks. The formation, growth, maintenance and enjoyment of Fairmount Park has produced one of the longest-standing examples of city and citizen cooperation. This collection contains a multitude of images of the Fairmount Park system created between 1855 and 2000 in a variety of formats.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1690-2010
(Bulk: 1874-2000)
Creator:
Fairmount Park Commission (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 86 linear feet
In the early part of the nineteenth century, Philadelphia City Council took action to protect the purity of public water. This involved the acquisition of property on the banks of the Schuylkill River in order to eliminate polluting waste that had previously been generated by various industrial sites along the river. The City?s newly acquired property was dedicated to the health and enjoyment of the citizens of Philadelphia, and became known as Fairmount Park. The Fairmount Park Commission (FPC) was established by Act of the Assembly, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, March 26, 1867. Over the course of this organization?s history (1867 to 2010) the FPC continued to acquire land for the people of Philadelphia, and operated with a single continuous mission: to preserve and protect its open space; provide opportunities for recreation; maintain the landscapes and structures, streams and woodlands that exist within the Fairmount Park System. This collection contains various materials that document the history of the Fairmount Park, and subsequently the history of the activities of the Fairmount Park Commission. The collection also includes a good deal of contextual information, such as information on the early history of Philadelphia and its surrounding area. This collection demonstrates at once the autonomy of the Fairmount Park Commission and its integral role in the evolution of Philadelphia?s urban landscape. This collection is relevant to researchers interested in the history of park property in Philadelphia; the history of water sanitation; the development of ecological studies; urban land management; organizational history in general, or specific to the FPC; art history; public art in Philadelphia; and juried public art design competitions. (View full finding aid.)
title
Reference collection
creator
Fairmount Park Commission (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
FP.2010.001
repository
extent
86 linear feet
inclusive date
1690-2010
bulk date
1874-2000
abstract/scope/contents
In the early part of the nineteenth century, Philadelphia City Council took action to protect the purity of public water. This involved the acquisition of property on the banks of the Schuylkill River in order to eliminate polluting waste that had previously been generated by various industrial sites along the river. The City?s newly acquired property was dedicated to the health and enjoyment of the citizens of Philadelphia, and became known as Fairmount Park. The Fairmount Park Commission (FPC) was established by Act of the Assembly, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, March 26, 1867. Over the course of this organization?s history (1867 to 2010) the FPC continued to acquire land for the people of Philadelphia, and operated with a single continuous mission: to preserve and protect its open space; provide opportunities for recreation; maintain the landscapes and structures, streams and woodlands that exist within the Fairmount Park System. This collection contains various materials that document the history of the Fairmount Park, and subsequently the history of the activities of the Fairmount Park Commission. The collection also includes a good deal of contextual information, such as information on the early history of Philadelphia and its surrounding area. This collection demonstrates at once the autonomy of the Fairmount Park Commission and its integral role in the evolution of Philadelphia?s urban landscape. This collection is relevant to researchers interested in the history of park property in Philadelphia; the history of water sanitation; the development of ecological studies; urban land management; organizational history in general, or specific to the FPC; art history; public art in Philadelphia; and juried public art design competitions.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1870-2000
(Bulk: 1950-2000)
title
Sculptures and Fountains Collection
creator
id
FP.2011.002
repository
extent
5 linear feet
inclusive date
1870-2000
bulk date
1950-2000
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
n.d.
Extent: 15 containers
title
Slides Collection
creator
id
FP.2011.003
repository
extent
15 containers
inclusive date
n.d.
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
title
The Mai Collection: Belmont Mansion restaurant and banquet facility
creator
id
FP.2012.001
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1923-1986
bulk date
1952-1956
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
c. 1880- c. 1940
Creator:
Pertuch, Walter A. R. , Mr., 1888-1976
Extent: 452 plates
title
Walter Pertuch Digital Images Collection
creator
Pertuch, Walter A. R. , Mr., 1888-1976
id
FP.2011.012
repository
extent
452 plates
inclusive date
c. 1880- c. 1940
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
title
Wilford Collection of Centennial Exhibition and Sesquicentennial Exposition Materials
creator
id
FP.2010.009
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1876-1877, 1926, 1927, 1974
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
1758-2001
(Bulk: 1920-1980)
Extent: 20 linear feet
Covering nearly 1,400 acres of the 10,000 acre Fairmount Park System, Wissahickon Valley Park epitomizes the breadth of resource available within the city of Philadelphia. Primarily a naturalist landscape, the parklands also support a variety of recreational activities and are home to a number of nationally important structural sites. Wissahickon Valley Park is located along the Wissahickon Creek, and has been a popular location with visitors for over a century and a half. Known best for its craggy rock formations, steep cliffs, and flowing waterway, the park provides an extremely rustic location just minutes from downtown Philadelphia. Popular natural locations within the park include the Devil?s Pool, Forbidden Drive, Livezey Rock and Lover?s Leap. Concealed within the park?s natural landscape are a number of reminders of its rich history. Nestled in the upper trails are two statues hidden in the lush surroundings, ?The Indian? and ?Toleration?. The weathered steel bridge ?Fingerspan? is similarly buried, and is a spot often sought out by hikers. Along the trails visitors can also see the city?s first drinking fountain, as well as shelters built by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s. Additionally, the Wissahickon Valley Park is home to a number of historic and useful structures. RittenhouseTown, a prominent 19th Century milling community largely comprised of the well-known Rittenhouse family, remains a highly visited tourist location for its historic value. Wissahickon Valley Park is also home to the Thomas Mill Road Bridge, the only remaining covered bridge in Philadelphia (or any major city). The Andorra Natural Area is home to an interactive environmental education center, which features a ?tree house? visitor?s center. Glen Fern, sometimes referred to as Livezey House, is a wonderfully preserved example of 18th century architecture. Home to the renowned colonial miller, Thomas Livezey, it is the last surviving miller?s house in the area. The historic Hermitage mansion, once occupied by the religious sect of Rosacrucians who emigrated from Germany in the late 17th century, is now home to an outdoor opera venue in the park. Wissahickon Valley Park is also home to the treasured Valley Green Inn- a restaurant which has been around for over a hundred years, and one of the most frequently painted sites in the area. (View full finding aid.)
title
Wissahickon Valley Park Maps, Plans and Drawings Collection
creator
id
FP.2011.009
repository
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
1758-2001
bulk date
1920-1980
abstract/scope/contents
Covering nearly 1,400 acres of the 10,000 acre Fairmount Park System, Wissahickon Valley Park epitomizes the breadth of resource available within the city of Philadelphia. Primarily a naturalist landscape, the parklands also support a variety of recreational activities and are home to a number of nationally important structural sites. Wissahickon Valley Park is located along the Wissahickon Creek, and has been a popular location with visitors for over a century and a half. Known best for its craggy rock formations, steep cliffs, and flowing waterway, the park provides an extremely rustic location just minutes from downtown Philadelphia. Popular natural locations within the park include the Devil?s Pool, Forbidden Drive, Livezey Rock and Lover?s Leap. Concealed within the park?s natural landscape are a number of reminders of its rich history. Nestled in the upper trails are two statues hidden in the lush surroundings, ?The Indian? and ?Toleration?. The weathered steel bridge ?Fingerspan? is similarly buried, and is a spot often sought out by hikers. Along the trails visitors can also see the city?s first drinking fountain, as well as shelters built by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s. Additionally, the Wissahickon Valley Park is home to a number of historic and useful structures. RittenhouseTown, a prominent 19th Century milling community largely comprised of the well-known Rittenhouse family, remains a highly visited tourist location for its historic value. Wissahickon Valley Park is also home to the Thomas Mill Road Bridge, the only remaining covered bridge in Philadelphia (or any major city). The Andorra Natural Area is home to an interactive environmental education center, which features a ?tree house? visitor?s center. Glen Fern, sometimes referred to as Livezey House, is a wonderfully preserved example of 18th century architecture. Home to the renowned colonial miller, Thomas Livezey, it is the last surviving miller?s house in the area. The historic Hermitage mansion, once occupied by the religious sect of Rosacrucians who emigrated from Germany in the late 17th century, is now home to an outdoor opera venue in the park. Wissahickon Valley Park is also home to the treasured Valley Green Inn- a restaurant which has been around for over a hundred years, and one of the most frequently painted sites in the area.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Fairmount Park Historic Resource Archives [Contact Us]
c. 1930s
Extent: 20 linear feet
This collection is composed of maps sponsored and created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s. It contains topographic plans of East Fairmount Park, West Fairmount Park, and Cobb's Creek Park. All items in this collection have been digitized and are available online at the Philadelphia Athenaeum's website: http://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-images/index2.cfm?ct=17 (View full finding aid.)
title
Works Progress Administration Map Collection
creator
id
FP.2012.10
repository
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
c. 1930s
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection is composed of maps sponsored and created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s. It contains topographic plans of East Fairmount Park, West Fairmount Park, and Cobb's Creek Park. All items in this collection have been digitized and are available online at the Philadelphia Athenaeum's website: http://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-images/index2.cfm?ct=17
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »