Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia Archives
Remove
filtered Sort: Title (ascending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 1 out of 1  
First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia Archives [Contact Us]
1796-circa 2000s
Creator:
First Unitarian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 70 linear feet
The First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia is a Unitarian Universalist congregation located in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is the longest continually functioning Unitarian church in the United States. The Church was first formed as the Society of Unitarian Christians of Philadelphia in 1796. In 1825, Reverend William Henry Furness (1801-1896) became the Society's first regularly ordained, full-time minister and led the Church for fifty years. As of 2015, the church continues to operate in a building designed for them in 1885 by noted architect Frank Furness (1839-1912), one of the sons of William Henry Furness. The First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia records, 1796-circa 2000s, consist of administrative and financial records, church registers, correspondence, history materials, and other materials related to the Church, as well as papers of the Church's first minister, William Henry Furness, and other individuals associated or involved with the Church such as Joseph Priestley, John Vaughn, Anders Lunde, Ella Wister Haines, and others. Photographs, audio and video materials, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings are also included in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia records
creator
First Unitarian Church (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FUCP.01
repository
extent
70 linear feet
inclusive date
1796-circa 2000s
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia is a Unitarian Universalist congregation located in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is the longest continually functioning Unitarian church in the United States. The Church was first formed as the Society of Unitarian Christians of Philadelphia in 1796. In 1825, Reverend William Henry Furness (1801-1896) became the Society's first regularly ordained, full-time minister and led the Church for fifty years. As of 2015, the church continues to operate in a building designed for them in 1885 by noted architect Frank Furness (1839-1912), one of the sons of William Henry Furness. The First Unitarian Church of Philadelphia records, 1796-circa 2000s, consist of administrative and financial records, church registers, correspondence, history materials, and other materials related to the Church, as well as papers of the Church's first minister, William Henry Furness, and other individuals associated or involved with the Church such as Joseph Priestley, John Vaughn, Anders Lunde, Ella Wister Haines, and others. Photographs, audio and video materials, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings are also included in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet