Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Creator: German Society of Pennsylvania.
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 3 out of 3  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1909-1941
Creator:
Dedekind, Hans
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien.
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871-
Heinrici, Max
Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
Extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture. (View full finding aid.)
title
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien, Philadelphia branch, records
creator
Dedekind, Hans Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien. German Society of Pennsylvania. Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871- Heinrici, Max Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 59
repository
extent
0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
inclusive date
1909-1941
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1847-1947
(Bulk: 1854-1938)
Creator:
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885
Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Hoffmann, Henry
Naumann, O. Richard
Extent: 10 linear feet (52 boxes)
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Agentur records
creator
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885 Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916 German Society of Pennsylvania. Hoffmann, Henry Naumann, O. Richard
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 3
repository
extent
10 linear feet (52 boxes)
inclusive date
1847-1947
bulk date
1854-1938
abstract/scope/contents
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1764-1998
(Bulk: 1764-1968)
Creator:
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Witte, Herman
Extent: 26.4 linear feet
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania institutional records
creator
German Society of Pennsylvania. Witte, Herman
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 1
repository
extent
26.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1998
bulk date
1764-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet