Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Date: 1900-1950
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 14 out of 14  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1891-1957
Creator:
Schade, Anita, 1869-1957
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
This scrapbook documents the activities of Anita Schade and spans the years 1891 to 1957. A large portion of the materials are related to the German Literary Society which she founded in Washington, D.C., 1901. There is also content from several other organizations she was involved with, including the German Dramatic Society, the Goethe Society of America and the Shakespeare Club. (View full finding aid.)
title
Anita Schade scrapbook
creator
Schade, Anita, 1869-1957
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AH 1000
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1891-1957
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This scrapbook documents the activities of Anita Schade and spans the years 1891 to 1957. A large portion of the materials are related to the German Literary Society which she founded in Washington, D.C., 1901. There is also content from several other organizations she was involved with, including the German Dramatic Society, the Goethe Society of America and the Shakespeare Club.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1891-1915
Creator:
Bären-Bund des Philadelphia Turnbezirks . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 06 linear feet (1 volume)
Handwritten minute book of the Bären-Bund des Philadelphia Turnbezirks, from the founding, 23 March 1891, to 19 April 1915. The Bären-Bund was an alliance of senior gymnast squads, or Bären-Riege, of gymnastics clubs (Turnvereine) in the Philadelphia Turner district. The minutes include financial records and a copy of the constitution that was adopted upon the founding. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bären-Bund des Philadelphia Turnbezirks minute book
creator
Bären-Bund des Philadelphia Turnbezirks . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 21
repository
extent
06 linear feet (1 volume)
inclusive date
1891-1915
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Handwritten minute book of the Bären-Bund des Philadelphia Turnbezirks, from the founding, 23 March 1891, to 19 April 1915. The Bären-Bund was an alliance of senior gymnast squads, or Bären-Riege, of gymnastics clubs (Turnvereine) in the Philadelphia Turner district. The minutes include financial records and a copy of the constitution that was adopted upon the founding.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1909-1941
Creator:
Dedekind, Hans
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien.
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871-
Heinrici, Max
Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
Extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture. (View full finding aid.)
title
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien, Philadelphia branch, records
creator
Dedekind, Hans Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien. German Society of Pennsylvania. Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871- Heinrici, Max Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 59
repository
extent
0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
inclusive date
1909-1941
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1884-1939
Creator:
Deutscher Klub . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Technischer Verein von Philadelphia, Pa.
Extent: 0.9 linear feet (5 boxes)
Records of two Philadelphia societies, the Deutscher Klub (German Club), founded 1874, and the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia (Technical Society of Philadelphia), founded 1872. The Technischer Verein first became affiliated with the Deutscher Klub in 1896, and met at the latter society's clubhouse. In 1910 the two societies merged administratively; and in 1928 they finally published a newly revised constitution and by-laws for the combined organization, which was called Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein. The collection includes Technischer Verein records from 1884 to 1926; Deutscher Klub minutes from 1888 to 1898; and minutes of the combined organization from 1922 to 1937, with one item dated 1939. Also included is ephemera dating from 1927 to 1933, inlcuding items from the Women's Auxiliary of the organization, and from the National Association of German-American Technologists, which from its beginnings in 1884 was closely aligned with the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein records
creator
Deutscher Klub . (Philadelphia, Pa.) Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein . (Philadelphia, Pa.) Technischer Verein von Philadelphia, Pa.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 10
repository
extent
0.9 linear feet (5 boxes)
inclusive date
1884-1939
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of two Philadelphia societies, the Deutscher Klub (German Club), founded 1874, and the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia (Technical Society of Philadelphia), founded 1872. The Technischer Verein first became affiliated with the Deutscher Klub in 1896, and met at the latter society's clubhouse. In 1910 the two societies merged administratively; and in 1928 they finally published a newly revised constitution and by-laws for the combined organization, which was called Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein. The collection includes Technischer Verein records from 1884 to 1926; Deutscher Klub minutes from 1888 to 1898; and minutes of the combined organization from 1922 to 1937, with one item dated 1939. Also included is ephemera dating from 1927 to 1933, inlcuding items from the Women's Auxiliary of the organization, and from the National Association of German-American Technologists, which from its beginnings in 1884 was closely aligned with the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1852-1930
(Bulk: 1901-1930)
Creator:
Klee, Emma, b. 1881
Klee, Eugen, 1869-1929
Extent: 2.4 linear feet (8 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection documents the activities of the accomplished German-American music director Eugen Klee and his wife Emma. Eugen Klee was an award-winning music director in Philadelphia from 1894 to 1913, and in New York City from 1914 until 1929. The collection includes correspondence from family, colleagues, friends, and acquaintances, mostly in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, plus newspaper clippings and ephemera. There is one file of correspondence from the Matthes family who are related to Emma Klee's mother. Also included are five scrapbooks, four of which include many newspaper clippings, music programs, correspondence, travel brochures, leaflets, and photographs related to both Eugen and Emma Klee, and the fifth is Emma Klee's scrapbook containing primarily correspondence from the year 1930. (View full finding aid.)
title
Eugen and Emma Klee papers
creator
Klee, Emma, b. 1881 Klee, Eugen, 1869-1929
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 45
repository
extent
2.4 linear feet (8 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1852-1930
bulk date
1901-1930
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents the activities of the accomplished German-American music director Eugen Klee and his wife Emma. Eugen Klee was an award-winning music director in Philadelphia from 1894 to 1913, and in New York City from 1914 until 1929. The collection includes correspondence from family, colleagues, friends, and acquaintances, mostly in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, plus newspaper clippings and ephemera. There is one file of correspondence from the Matthes family who are related to Emma Klee's mother. Also included are five scrapbooks, four of which include many newspaper clippings, music programs, correspondence, travel brochures, leaflets, and photographs related to both Eugen and Emma Klee, and the fifth is Emma Klee's scrapbook containing primarily correspondence from the year 1930.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1847-1947
(Bulk: 1854-1938)
Creator:
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885
Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Hoffmann, Henry
Naumann, O. Richard
Extent: 10 linear feet (52 boxes)
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Agentur records
creator
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885 Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916 German Society of Pennsylvania. Hoffmann, Henry Naumann, O. Richard
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 3
repository
extent
10 linear feet (52 boxes)
inclusive date
1847-1947
bulk date
1854-1938
abstract/scope/contents
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1764-1998
(Bulk: 1764-1968)
Creator:
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Witte, Herman
Extent: 26.4 linear feet
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania institutional records
creator
German Society of Pennsylvania. Witte, Herman
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 1
repository
extent
26.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1998
bulk date
1764-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1855-1957
(Bulk: 1855-1918)
Creator:
Hammerstein, Max
Harmonie Singing Society.
Hecking, Joseph
Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913
Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914
Kunath, Oscar
Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Moebius, Emil
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957). (View full finding aid.)
title
Harmonie Singing Society records
creator
Hammerstein, Max Harmonie Singing Society. Hecking, Joseph Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913 Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914 Kunath, Oscar Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Moebius, Emil
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 54
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1855-1957
bulk date
1855-1918
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1903-1938
(Bulk: 1910-1918)
Creator:
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939
Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument. (View full finding aid.)
title
National German-American Alliance records
creator
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939 Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921 Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 58
repository
extent
0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1903-1938
bulk date
1910-1918
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1860-1902
Creator:
Welden, Otto, 1824-1902
Extent: 0.93 linear feet (4 boxes)
Handwritten copies of works by German-American author Otto Welden (pseudonym of P. J. Reuss), mostly produced at Welden's direction, with some material in his own hand. Comprises two volumes of poetry, three dramatic works, and two novels. Includes works that were published only in periodicals; some may not have been published in any form. (View full finding aid.)
title
Otto Welden literary manuscripts
creator
Welden, Otto, 1824-1902
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AX 3171
repository
extent
0.93 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1860-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Handwritten copies of works by German-American author Otto Welden (pseudonym of P. J. Reuss), mostly produced at Welden's direction, with some material in his own hand. Comprises two volumes of poetry, three dramatic works, and two novels. Includes works that were published only in periodicals; some may not have been published in any form.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1883-1958
Creator:
Fischer, Casper
Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
Schuck, Louis F., 1870-1933
Extent: 0.17 linear feet (1 box + 1 oversize folder)
Collection of miscellaneous records as well as ephemera of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde (also known as the Philadelphia Turners), one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The records include a letter dated 1900 from Turngemeinde vice president Louis F. Schuck to the Academy of Music; an original manuscript (4 leaves), dated 1911, by member Casper Fischer, telling the history of the organization from the founding until 1899; and a guest register for events of the club from 1956 to 1958. The ephemera include invitation letters, program and admission ticket to the dedication ceremony of the new Turngemeinde hall in 1883 and the first two leaves of the Philadelphia newspaper Vereins und Logen Zeitung for 20 May 1899 containing the report of the Turngemeinde's 50th anniversary celebration. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Turngemeinde collection
creator
Fischer, Casper Philadelphia Turngemeinde. Schuck, Louis F., 1870-1933
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 22
repository
extent
0.17 linear feet (1 box + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1883-1958
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of miscellaneous records as well as ephemera of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde (also known as the Philadelphia Turners), one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The records include a letter dated 1900 from Turngemeinde vice president Louis F. Schuck to the Academy of Music; an original manuscript (4 leaves), dated 1911, by member Casper Fischer, telling the history of the organization from the founding until 1899; and a guest register for events of the club from 1956 to 1958. The ephemera include invitation letters, program and admission ticket to the dedication ceremony of the new Turngemeinde hall in 1883 and the first two leaves of the Philadelphia newspaper Vereins und Logen Zeitung for 20 May 1899 containing the report of the Turngemeinde's 50th anniversary celebration.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1885-1943
(Bulk: 1905-1938)
Extent: 2 linear feet (5 boxes)
Eight scrapbooks of newspaper clippings related to German Americans and German-American issues, dating from 1885 to 1943, and concentrated in the period 1905 to 1938. Most of the clippings are from the New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, the New Yorker Herold, or the New York Times. Subjects include international news, general news, politics, obituaries, bequests, business, singing clubs, religion, and poems. The obituary clippings primarily cover prominent German Americans of the time and some Germans. (View full finding aid.)
title
Scrapbooks on German Americans
creator
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 41
repository
extent
2 linear feet (5 boxes)
inclusive date
1885-1943
bulk date
1905-1938
abstract/scope/contents
Eight scrapbooks of newspaper clippings related to German Americans and German-American issues, dating from 1885 to 1943, and concentrated in the period 1905 to 1938. Most of the clippings are from the New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, the New Yorker Herold, or the New York Times. Subjects include international news, general news, politics, obituaries, bequests, business, singing clubs, religion, and poems. The obituary clippings primarily cover prominent German Americans of the time and some Germans.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1880-1935
(Bulk: 1880-1926)
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Hoffmann, Henry
Kuhl, Carl
Luedecke, Ernst
Nordöstlicher Sängerbund.
Säuberlich, Ernst
Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
Extent: 4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925. (View full finding aid.)
title
United Singers of Philadelphia records
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929 Hoffmann, Henry Kuhl, Carl Luedecke, Ernst Nordöstlicher Sängerbund. Säuberlich, Ernst Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 15
repository
extent
4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1880-1935
bulk date
1880-1926
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1900-2013
Creator:
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania (Frauen-Hilfsverein) records
creator
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 40
repository
extent
6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »