Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Form/Genre: Printed ephemera
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 21 out of 21  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1924
Creator:
Thomas, Wilbur K., (Wilbur Kelsey), 1882-1953
Extent: 02 linear feet (2 folders)
Collection of two brochures and six clippings concerning the American Committee for Relief of German Children, a relief effort to aid undernourished children in Germany, initiated in December 1923 by Major General Henry T. Allen, who had commanded the American forces in Germany following the First World War. The aid was administered by the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), of the American Quakers, who had carried on feeding operations in Central Europe immediately following the war until 1922 and now renewed their work in Germany. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Committee for Relief of German Children ephemera collection
creator
Thomas, Wilbur K., (Wilbur Kelsey), 1882-1953
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 32
repository
extent
02 linear feet (2 folders)
inclusive date
1924
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of two brochures and six clippings concerning the American Committee for Relief of German Children, a relief effort to aid undernourished children in Germany, initiated in December 1923 by Major General Henry T. Allen, who had commanded the American forces in Germany following the First World War. The aid was administered by the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), of the American Quakers, who had carried on feeding operations in Central Europe immediately following the war until 1922 and now renewed their work in Germany.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1923
Creator:
American Friends Service Committee.
Extent: 0.1 linear feet (8 folders)
Collection of ephemera related to the relief work carried on by the American Friends Service Committee in Central Europe following the First World War, from 1919 to 1923. It includes AFSC fliers and bulletins, with some items printed in German; ephemera related to a mass meeting and concert for Quaker relief in Vienna held at the Academy of Music in 1922; and clippings about AFSC activities or conditions in Central Europe, mostly from Philadelphia newspapers. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Friends Service Committee ephemera collection
creator
American Friends Service Committee.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 31
repository
extent
0.1 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
1919-1923
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of ephemera related to the relief work carried on by the American Friends Service Committee in Central Europe following the First World War, from 1919 to 1923. It includes AFSC fliers and bulletins, with some items printed in German; ephemera related to a mass meeting and concert for Quaker relief in Vienna held at the Academy of Music in 1922; and clippings about AFSC activities or conditions in Central Europe, mostly from Philadelphia newspapers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1858-1870, 1907-1936
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (1 box)
The Arion Singing Society (Gesang-Verein) was founded in 1857 by singers who had seceded from the Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (later known as Harmonie), a singing society that began under the auspices of the Independent German Congregation of Philadelphia. This collection comprises a letter book of Arion, covering the period 5 May 1858 to 1 June 1870, and various ephemera dating from 1907 to 1936, including concert programs, one concert ticket, and four souvenir programs related to an annual bal masqué, or masked ball, that was a tradition of the society since 1865. (View full finding aid.)
title
Arion Singing Society letter book and ephemera
creator
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 55
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (1 box)
inclusive date
1858-1870, 1907-1936
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Arion Singing Society (Gesang-Verein) was founded in 1857 by singers who had seceded from the Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (later known as Harmonie), a singing society that began under the auspices of the Independent German Congregation of Philadelphia. This collection comprises a letter book of Arion, covering the period 5 May 1858 to 1 June 1870, and various ephemera dating from 1907 to 1936, including concert programs, one concert ticket, and four souvenir programs related to an annual bal masqué, or masked ball, that was a tradition of the society since 1865.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1916-1942
Creator:
Austro-American Relief Society. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 0.83 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
Records of the Austro-American Relief Society of Philadelphia, Pa., mainly documenting its charitable work from 1916 to 1941, including fundraising in behalf of war relief for Austro-Hungarian and German civilians and prisoners of war during and after World War I. The collection includes financial records, membership and donor lists, inventories, correspondence, ephemera, and clippings. (View full finding aid.)
title
Austro-American Relief Society records
creator
Austro-American Relief Society. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 27
repository
extent
0.83 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1916-1942
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of the Austro-American Relief Society of Philadelphia, Pa., mainly documenting its charitable work from 1916 to 1941, including fundraising in behalf of war relief for Austro-Hungarian and German civilians and prisoners of war during and after World War I. The collection includes financial records, membership and donor lists, inventories, correspondence, ephemera, and clippings.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1917-1991
(Bulk: 1938-1985)
Creator:
Linke, Conrad J., (Conrad Johann), 1892-1995
Linke, Marian, 1896-1985
Extent: 2.2 linear feet (7 boxes)
Conrad Linke was a German-American illustrator and painter from Philadelphia. This collection documents the political and charitable activities of him and his wife, Marian Linke, during the years 1917 to 1991. Prior to World War II they were involved in the movement to maintain American neutrality. After World War II they were involved in war relief efforts for Germany through several organizations they were members of or supported. Included are personal writings, notes and drafts, correspondence, speeches, pamphlets, leaflets, clippings, business reports and ephemera from many of those organizations. (View full finding aid.)
title
Conrad J. and Marian Linke papers
creator
Linke, Conrad J., (Conrad Johann), 1892-1995 Linke, Marian, 1896-1985
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 34
repository
extent
2.2 linear feet (7 boxes)
inclusive date
1917-1991
bulk date
1938-1985
abstract/scope/contents
Conrad Linke was a German-American illustrator and painter from Philadelphia. This collection documents the political and charitable activities of him and his wife, Marian Linke, during the years 1917 to 1991. Prior to World War II they were involved in the movement to maintain American neutrality. After World War II they were involved in war relief efforts for Germany through several organizations they were members of or supported. Included are personal writings, notes and drafts, correspondence, speeches, pamphlets, leaflets, clippings, business reports and ephemera from many of those organizations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1909-1941
Creator:
Dedekind, Hans
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien.
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871-
Heinrici, Max
Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
Extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture. (View full finding aid.)
title
Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien, Philadelphia branch, records
creator
Dedekind, Hans Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentral-Bund von Pennsylvanien. German Society of Pennsylvania. Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871- Heinrici, Max Timm, Adolph, b. 1861
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 59
repository
extent
0.21 linear feet (1 box, 18 folders)
inclusive date
1909-1941
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the Philadelphia branch of the Deutsch-Amerikanischer Zentralbund von Pennsylvanien (DAZB), also known as the German-American Central Alliance, or the German-American Federation, of Pennsylvania. The federation existed from 1899 until 1941; from 1901 to 1918 it was part of the National German-American Alliance, which it had helped to found. These extant records mainly comprise materials related to activities of the School Committee, which promoted German language learning, and learning about German-American culture, among German-American youth. Included are minutes (with financial reports), correspondence, fliers, and educational materials, dated 1909 to 1933. The remaining materials are ephemera, including a flier related to the fifth anniversary of the women's auxiliary, in 1932, and programs for German Day celebrations in 1940 and 1941. A few fliers bear texts composed by Adolph Timm and Max Heinrici concerning the preservation of German-American culture.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1884-1939
Creator:
Deutscher Klub . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein . (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Technischer Verein von Philadelphia, Pa.
Extent: 0.9 linear feet (5 boxes)
Records of two Philadelphia societies, the Deutscher Klub (German Club), founded 1874, and the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia (Technical Society of Philadelphia), founded 1872. The Technischer Verein first became affiliated with the Deutscher Klub in 1896, and met at the latter society's clubhouse. In 1910 the two societies merged administratively; and in 1928 they finally published a newly revised constitution and by-laws for the combined organization, which was called Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein. The collection includes Technischer Verein records from 1884 to 1926; Deutscher Klub minutes from 1888 to 1898; and minutes of the combined organization from 1922 to 1937, with one item dated 1939. Also included is ephemera dating from 1927 to 1933, inlcuding items from the Women's Auxiliary of the organization, and from the National Association of German-American Technologists, which from its beginnings in 1884 was closely aligned with the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein records
creator
Deutscher Klub . (Philadelphia, Pa.) Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein . (Philadelphia, Pa.) Technischer Verein von Philadelphia, Pa.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 10
repository
extent
0.9 linear feet (5 boxes)
inclusive date
1884-1939
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of two Philadelphia societies, the Deutscher Klub (German Club), founded 1874, and the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia (Technical Society of Philadelphia), founded 1872. The Technischer Verein first became affiliated with the Deutscher Klub in 1896, and met at the latter society's clubhouse. In 1910 the two societies merged administratively; and in 1928 they finally published a newly revised constitution and by-laws for the combined organization, which was called Deutscher Klub und Technischer Verein. The collection includes Technischer Verein records from 1884 to 1926; Deutscher Klub minutes from 1888 to 1898; and minutes of the combined organization from 1922 to 1937, with one item dated 1939. Also included is ephemera dating from 1927 to 1933, inlcuding items from the Women's Auxiliary of the organization, and from the National Association of German-American Technologists, which from its beginnings in 1884 was closely aligned with the Technischer Verein von Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1920
Creator:
Doernenburg, Emil, 1880-1935, Collector
Extent: 0.3 linear feet (66 items)
Collection of 66 items of printed ephemera related to the First World War, nearly all produced by Germans, dating from 1914 to 1920, including mostly fliers, broadsides, posters, and newspapers. The majority of the items date from the war period and either address German military personnel or are related to the civilian war effort. Nine items relate to German-occupied territories. Seven items date from the immediate postwar period, including three items related to the Kapp Putsch. One quarter of the items are illustrated (some in color), including six items (three broadsides and three military newspapers) containing caricatures or cartoons. (View full finding aid.)
title
Emil Doernenburg collection of First World War ephemera
creator
Doernenburg, Emil, 1880-1935, Collector
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 35
repository
extent
0.3 linear feet (66 items)
inclusive date
1914-1920
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of 66 items of printed ephemera related to the First World War, nearly all produced by Germans, dating from 1914 to 1920, including mostly fliers, broadsides, posters, and newspapers. The majority of the items date from the war period and either address German military personnel or are related to the civilian war effort. Nine items relate to German-occupied territories. Seven items date from the immediate postwar period, including three items related to the Kapp Putsch. One quarter of the items are illustrated (some in color), including six items (three broadsides and three military newspapers) containing caricatures or cartoons.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1852-1930
(Bulk: 1901-1930)
Creator:
Klee, Emma, b. 1881
Klee, Eugen, 1869-1929
Extent: 2.4 linear feet (8 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection documents the activities of the accomplished German-American music director Eugen Klee and his wife Emma. Eugen Klee was an award-winning music director in Philadelphia from 1894 to 1913, and in New York City from 1914 until 1929. The collection includes correspondence from family, colleagues, friends, and acquaintances, mostly in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, plus newspaper clippings and ephemera. There is one file of correspondence from the Matthes family who are related to Emma Klee's mother. Also included are five scrapbooks, four of which include many newspaper clippings, music programs, correspondence, travel brochures, leaflets, and photographs related to both Eugen and Emma Klee, and the fifth is Emma Klee's scrapbook containing primarily correspondence from the year 1930. (View full finding aid.)
title
Eugen and Emma Klee papers
creator
Klee, Emma, b. 1881 Klee, Eugen, 1869-1929
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 45
repository
extent
2.4 linear feet (8 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1852-1930
bulk date
1901-1930
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents the activities of the accomplished German-American music director Eugen Klee and his wife Emma. Eugen Klee was an award-winning music director in Philadelphia from 1894 to 1913, and in New York City from 1914 until 1929. The collection includes correspondence from family, colleagues, friends, and acquaintances, mostly in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, plus newspaper clippings and ephemera. There is one file of correspondence from the Matthes family who are related to Emma Klee's mother. Also included are five scrapbooks, four of which include many newspaper clippings, music programs, correspondence, travel brochures, leaflets, and photographs related to both Eugen and Emma Klee, and the fifth is Emma Klee's scrapbook containing primarily correspondence from the year 1930.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1943-1945
Creator:
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Lawrence, E. Hagen
Extent: 0.1 linear feet (5 folders)
This collection contains the records of the German Associated Nationality Group, a committee of the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross that led a fundraising effort within the German-American community in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during World War II, from 1943 to 1945, as part of the Red Cross War Fund campaign. Included are minutes of meetings (12 March to 12 May 1943); invitation letters to meetings (July 1943 to April 1944); two appeal letters (1944, 1945), including related Red Cross campaign ephemera; committee membership lists; lists of donors and donations; and two clippings from German-language newspapers. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. Records
creator
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Lawrence, E. Hagen
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 50
repository
extent
0.1 linear feet (5 folders)
inclusive date
1943-1945
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Associated Nationality Group, a committee of the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross that led a fundraising effort within the German-American community in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during World War II, from 1943 to 1945, as part of the Red Cross War Fund campaign. Included are minutes of meetings (12 March to 12 May 1943); invitation letters to meetings (July 1943 to April 1944); two appeal letters (1944, 1945), including related Red Cross campaign ephemera; committee membership lists; lists of donors and donations; and two clippings from German-language newspapers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1925, 1929
Creator:
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947
German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee.
Johannssen, Walther
Kellner, Elizabeth F.
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
Schmidt, Louis H.
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Foreign Relief Committee records
creator
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947 German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee. Johannssen, Walther Kellner, Elizabeth F. Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 Schmidt, Louis H. Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 44
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1919-1925, 1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1855-1957
(Bulk: 1855-1918)
Creator:
Hammerstein, Max
Harmonie Singing Society.
Hecking, Joseph
Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913
Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914
Kunath, Oscar
Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Moebius, Emil
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957). (View full finding aid.)
title
Harmonie Singing Society records
creator
Hammerstein, Max Harmonie Singing Society. Hecking, Joseph Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913 Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914 Kunath, Oscar Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Moebius, Emil
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 54
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1855-1957
bulk date
1855-1918
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1925
Creator:
Grobel, Ewald
Hausser, C. A.
Heyl, Herman
Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Hoffmann, Henry
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hilfsfond records
creator
Grobel, Ewald Hausser, C. A. Heyl, Herman Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Hoffmann, Henry National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 28
repository
extent
1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1914-1925
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1831-1892
Creator:
Ballier, John F. (John Frederick), 1815-1893
Extent: 2.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
The collection primarily includes records related to the Civil War service of John F. Ballier, including correspondence, guard reports, muster rolls, military orders, and other papers pertaining to the 21st and the 98th Regiments of Pennsylvania Volunteers, which Ballier commanded. Other papers of Ballier include a handwritten copy of a resolution of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, Third Regiment, acknowledging Ballier's retirement in 1876; and a personal scrapbook of correspondence, memorabilia, ephemera, and clippings documenting his Civil War service as well as other events throughout his life. Many items in the scrapbook relate to German-American societies and festivities in Philadelphia. Also included are records of discharges and payments to veterans of regiments in Pennsylvania and in other states; and a volume entitled Pennsylvania Militia Legion cashbook. (View full finding aid.)
title
John F. Ballier papers
creator
Ballier, John F. (John Frederick), 1815-1893
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 11
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1831-1892
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection primarily includes records related to the Civil War service of John F. Ballier, including correspondence, guard reports, muster rolls, military orders, and other papers pertaining to the 21st and the 98th Regiments of Pennsylvania Volunteers, which Ballier commanded. Other papers of Ballier include a handwritten copy of a resolution of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, Third Regiment, acknowledging Ballier's retirement in 1876; and a personal scrapbook of correspondence, memorabilia, ephemera, and clippings documenting his Civil War service as well as other events throughout his life. Many items in the scrapbook relate to German-American societies and festivities in Philadelphia. Also included are records of discharges and payments to veterans of regiments in Pennsylvania and in other states; and a volume entitled Pennsylvania Militia Legion cashbook.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1930-1984
(Bulk: 1939-1983)
Creator:
Marx, Karl T., 1902-1997
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection documents the activities of Karl T. Marx and it spans the years 1930 to 1984 with the bulk of the materials dating from 1939 to 1983. He was a German immigrant who was employed in the textile industry and was also a prolific writer in the German and English languages on a variety of subjects. Some of his writings deal with technical issues related to the textile industry. Other writings include aphorisms, prose and articles related to his interest in German-American history. During World War II, he collected political cartoons related to the war from various newspapers that are arranged in two scrapbooks. The collection also includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, ephemera, and films. (View full finding aid.)
title
Karl T. Marx papers
creator
Marx, Karl T., 1902-1997
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 38
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1930-1984
bulk date
1939-1983
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents the activities of Karl T. Marx and it spans the years 1930 to 1984 with the bulk of the materials dating from 1939 to 1983. He was a German immigrant who was employed in the textile industry and was also a prolific writer in the German and English languages on a variety of subjects. Some of his writings deal with technical issues related to the textile industry. Other writings include aphorisms, prose and articles related to his interest in German-American history. During World War II, he collected political cartoons related to the war from various newspapers that are arranged in two scrapbooks. The collection also includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, ephemera, and films.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1918-1919
Creator:
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Schmidt, Louis H.
Extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 box + 6 posters + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent, a committee that coordinated the campaign for the purchase of Liberty Bonds among German Americans in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1918, during the First World War. Liberty Bonds were issued by the United States government to finance the American war effort. These records were kept by Louis H. Schmidt, treasurer of the Committee, and pertain mainly to the Third and Fourth Liberty Loans, with inclusion of a few subscription lists related to the fifth loan, issued in 1919 and known as the Victory Liberty Loan. The collection contains correspondence, subscription forms, lists of subscribers, reports, clippings, and ephemera, including Liberty Loan volunteer buttons and six posters promoting the purchase of Liberty Bonds. (View full finding aid.)
title
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent records
creator
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Schmidt, Louis H.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AA 231
repository
extent
0.21 linear feet (1 box + 6 posters + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1918-1919
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent, a committee that coordinated the campaign for the purchase of Liberty Bonds among German Americans in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1918, during the First World War. Liberty Bonds were issued by the United States government to finance the American war effort. These records were kept by Louis H. Schmidt, treasurer of the Committee, and pertain mainly to the Third and Fourth Liberty Loans, with inclusion of a few subscription lists related to the fifth loan, issued in 1919 and known as the Victory Liberty Loan. The collection contains correspondence, subscription forms, lists of subscribers, reports, clippings, and ephemera, including Liberty Loan volunteer buttons and six posters promoting the purchase of Liberty Bonds.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1868-1935, 1985
Creator:
Männerchor. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Schmidt, Herbert R., 1914-2011
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (2 boxes + 3 folders)
This small collection comprises a charter, ephemera, photographs, and memorabilia related to the Männerchor, the first German-American singing society in the United States, founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15 December 1835. The specific items include the original handwritten charter, signed by 13 members, in March 1868; a summer season concert program from 1887; a banner dedicated to the society in 1925 from its women's chorus (Damenchor); the program and menu for the 100th anniversary celebration in 1935, along with a miniature souvenir banner dedicated to the Männerchor on that occasion, by the Vereinigten Sänger von Baltimore (United Singers of Baltimore); and two photographs taken at the Männerchor's 150th anniversary celebration, in 1985, on which occasion the society was officially dissolved, according to a note on the verso of one of the photographs, signed by Herbert Schmidt, one of the last active members. (View full finding aid.)
title
Männerchor records
creator
Männerchor. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Schmidt, Herbert R., 1914-2011
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 56
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (2 boxes + 3 folders)
inclusive date
1868-1935, 1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This small collection comprises a charter, ephemera, photographs, and memorabilia related to the Männerchor, the first German-American singing society in the United States, founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15 December 1835. The specific items include the original handwritten charter, signed by 13 members, in March 1868; a summer season concert program from 1887; a banner dedicated to the society in 1925 from its women's chorus (Damenchor); the program and menu for the 100th anniversary celebration in 1935, along with a miniature souvenir banner dedicated to the Männerchor on that occasion, by the Vereinigten Sänger von Baltimore (United Singers of Baltimore); and two photographs taken at the Männerchor's 150th anniversary celebration, in 1985, on which occasion the society was officially dissolved, according to a note on the verso of one of the photographs, signed by Herbert Schmidt, one of the last active members.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1903-1938
(Bulk: 1910-1918)
Creator:
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939
Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument. (View full finding aid.)
title
National German-American Alliance records
creator
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939 Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921 Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 58
repository
extent
0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1903-1938
bulk date
1910-1918
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1924-1929
Creator:
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963
Heyl, Herman
Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee.
Hoffmann, Henry
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee.
Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951
Thomas, C. R. Walther
Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde. (View full finding aid.)
title
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria records
creator
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963 Heyl, Herman Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee. Hoffmann, Henry Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee. Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951 Thomas, C. R. Walther Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 29
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
circa 1924-1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1880-1935
(Bulk: 1880-1926)
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Hoffmann, Henry
Kuhl, Carl
Luedecke, Ernst
Nordöstlicher Sängerbund.
Säuberlich, Ernst
Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
Extent: 4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925. (View full finding aid.)
title
United Singers of Philadelphia records
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929 Hoffmann, Henry Kuhl, Carl Luedecke, Ernst Nordöstlicher Sängerbund. Säuberlich, Ernst Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 15
repository
extent
4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1880-1935
bulk date
1880-1926
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1900-2013
Creator:
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania (Frauen-Hilfsverein) records
creator
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 40
repository
extent
6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »