Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Names: Hoffmann, Henry
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 5 out of 5  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1847-1947
(Bulk: 1854-1938)
Creator:
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885
Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Hoffmann, Henry
Naumann, O. Richard
Extent: 10 linear feet (52 boxes)
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Agentur records
creator
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885 Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916 German Society of Pennsylvania. Hoffmann, Henry Naumann, O. Richard
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 3
repository
extent
10 linear feet (52 boxes)
inclusive date
1847-1947
bulk date
1854-1938
abstract/scope/contents
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1855-1957
(Bulk: 1855-1918)
Creator:
Hammerstein, Max
Harmonie Singing Society.
Hecking, Joseph
Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913
Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914
Kunath, Oscar
Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Moebius, Emil
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957). (View full finding aid.)
title
Harmonie Singing Society records
creator
Hammerstein, Max Harmonie Singing Society. Hecking, Joseph Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913 Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914 Kunath, Oscar Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Moebius, Emil
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 54
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1855-1957
bulk date
1855-1918
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1925
Creator:
Grobel, Ewald
Hausser, C. A.
Heyl, Herman
Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Hoffmann, Henry
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hilfsfond records
creator
Grobel, Ewald Hausser, C. A. Heyl, Herman Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Hoffmann, Henry National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 28
repository
extent
1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1914-1925
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1924-1929
Creator:
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963
Heyl, Herman
Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee.
Hoffmann, Henry
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee.
Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951
Thomas, C. R. Walther
Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde. (View full finding aid.)
title
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria records
creator
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963 Heyl, Herman Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee. Hoffmann, Henry Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee. Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951 Thomas, C. R. Walther Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 29
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
circa 1924-1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1880-1935
(Bulk: 1880-1926)
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Hoffmann, Henry
Kuhl, Carl
Luedecke, Ernst
Nordöstlicher Sängerbund.
Säuberlich, Ernst
Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
Extent: 4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925. (View full finding aid.)
title
United Singers of Philadelphia records
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929 Hoffmann, Henry Kuhl, Carl Luedecke, Ernst Nordöstlicher Sängerbund. Säuberlich, Ernst Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 15
repository
extent
4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1880-1935
bulk date
1880-1926
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »