Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Names: Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 5 out of 5  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1922, 1924
Creator:
Frauenhilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Knueppel, Johanna, 1859-1936
Schweizer, Berta
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.17 linear feet (1 box + 3 legal-size folders)
The Frauenhilfsfond was the women's auxiliary of the Hilfsfond (Relief Fund), a German-American charitable organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, devoted to war relief and humanitarian aid in German-speaking areas overseas during and after the First World War. The Frauenhilfsfond was essentially an umbrella group of German-American women's organizations in the Philadelphia area that coordinated the women’s efforts related to the relief work. The collection contains the complete minutes of the group from August 1914 until March 1917, as well as a record of donations received from March 1915 to April 1917. It also includes a log of homemade knitted items produced for overseas relief from October 1919 to March 1920, as well as a few items dated in the early 1920s related to campaigns to feed destitute children in German-speaking areas in Europe, efforts that were led by the American Friends Service Committee. The records dating from after 1917 appear to overlap with the activities of the Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania, of which the Frauenhilfsfond president, Antonie Ehrlich, and others in the group were simultaneously members. (View full finding aid.)
title
Frauenhilfsfond records
creator
Frauenhilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Knueppel, Johanna, 1859-1936 Schweizer, Berta Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 42
repository
extent
0.17 linear feet (1 box + 3 legal-size folders)
inclusive date
1914-1922, 1924
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Frauenhilfsfond was the women's auxiliary of the Hilfsfond (Relief Fund), a German-American charitable organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, devoted to war relief and humanitarian aid in German-speaking areas overseas during and after the First World War. The Frauenhilfsfond was essentially an umbrella group of German-American women's organizations in the Philadelphia area that coordinated the women’s efforts related to the relief work. The collection contains the complete minutes of the group from August 1914 until March 1917, as well as a record of donations received from March 1915 to April 1917. It also includes a log of homemade knitted items produced for overseas relief from October 1919 to March 1920, as well as a few items dated in the early 1920s related to campaigns to feed destitute children in German-speaking areas in Europe, efforts that were led by the American Friends Service Committee. The records dating from after 1917 appear to overlap with the activities of the Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania, of which the Frauenhilfsfond president, Antonie Ehrlich, and others in the group were simultaneously members.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1925, 1929
Creator:
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947
German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee.
Johannssen, Walther
Kellner, Elizabeth F.
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
Schmidt, Louis H.
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Foreign Relief Committee records
creator
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947 German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee. Johannssen, Walther Kellner, Elizabeth F. Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 Schmidt, Louis H. Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 44
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1919-1925, 1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1764-1998
(Bulk: 1764-1968)
Creator:
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Witte, Herman
Extent: 26.4 linear feet
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania institutional records
creator
German Society of Pennsylvania. Witte, Herman
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 1
repository
extent
26.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1998
bulk date
1764-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1936-1939
Creator:
Heinrici, Max
Extent: 0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
Max Heinrici manuscript and photographs
creator
Heinrici, Max
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 46
repository
extent
0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1936-1939
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1900-2013
Creator:
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania (Frauen-Hilfsverein) records
creator
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 40
repository
extent
6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »