Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Subject: Topic: Charities
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 15 out of 15  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1923
Creator:
American Friends Service Committee.
Extent: 0.1 linear feet (8 folders)
Collection of ephemera related to the relief work carried on by the American Friends Service Committee in Central Europe following the First World War, from 1919 to 1923. It includes AFSC fliers and bulletins, with some items printed in German; ephemera related to a mass meeting and concert for Quaker relief in Vienna held at the Academy of Music in 1922; and clippings about AFSC activities or conditions in Central Europe, mostly from Philadelphia newspapers. (View full finding aid.)
title
American Friends Service Committee ephemera collection
creator
American Friends Service Committee.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 31
repository
extent
0.1 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
1919-1923
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of ephemera related to the relief work carried on by the American Friends Service Committee in Central Europe following the First World War, from 1919 to 1923. It includes AFSC fliers and bulletins, with some items printed in German; ephemera related to a mass meeting and concert for Quaker relief in Vienna held at the Academy of Music in 1922; and clippings about AFSC activities or conditions in Central Europe, mostly from Philadelphia newspapers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1916-1942
Creator:
Austro-American Relief Society. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 0.83 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
Records of the Austro-American Relief Society of Philadelphia, Pa., mainly documenting its charitable work from 1916 to 1941, including fundraising in behalf of war relief for Austro-Hungarian and German civilians and prisoners of war during and after World War I. The collection includes financial records, membership and donor lists, inventories, correspondence, ephemera, and clippings. (View full finding aid.)
title
Austro-American Relief Society records
creator
Austro-American Relief Society. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 27
repository
extent
0.83 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1916-1942
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of the Austro-American Relief Society of Philadelphia, Pa., mainly documenting its charitable work from 1916 to 1941, including fundraising in behalf of war relief for Austro-Hungarian and German civilians and prisoners of war during and after World War I. The collection includes financial records, membership and donor lists, inventories, correspondence, ephemera, and clippings.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1922, 1924
Creator:
Frauenhilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Knueppel, Johanna, 1859-1936
Schweizer, Berta
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.17 linear feet (1 box + 3 legal-size folders)
The Frauenhilfsfond was the women's auxiliary of the Hilfsfond (Relief Fund), a German-American charitable organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, devoted to war relief and humanitarian aid in German-speaking areas overseas during and after the First World War. The Frauenhilfsfond was essentially an umbrella group of German-American women's organizations in the Philadelphia area that coordinated the women’s efforts related to the relief work. The collection contains the complete minutes of the group from August 1914 until March 1917, as well as a record of donations received from March 1915 to April 1917. It also includes a log of homemade knitted items produced for overseas relief from October 1919 to March 1920, as well as a few items dated in the early 1920s related to campaigns to feed destitute children in German-speaking areas in Europe, efforts that were led by the American Friends Service Committee. The records dating from after 1917 appear to overlap with the activities of the Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania, of which the Frauenhilfsfond president, Antonie Ehrlich, and others in the group were simultaneously members. (View full finding aid.)
title
Frauenhilfsfond records
creator
Frauenhilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Knueppel, Johanna, 1859-1936 Schweizer, Berta Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 42
repository
extent
0.17 linear feet (1 box + 3 legal-size folders)
inclusive date
1914-1922, 1924
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Frauenhilfsfond was the women's auxiliary of the Hilfsfond (Relief Fund), a German-American charitable organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, devoted to war relief and humanitarian aid in German-speaking areas overseas during and after the First World War. The Frauenhilfsfond was essentially an umbrella group of German-American women's organizations in the Philadelphia area that coordinated the women’s efforts related to the relief work. The collection contains the complete minutes of the group from August 1914 until March 1917, as well as a record of donations received from March 1915 to April 1917. It also includes a log of homemade knitted items produced for overseas relief from October 1919 to March 1920, as well as a few items dated in the early 1920s related to campaigns to feed destitute children in German-speaking areas in Europe, efforts that were led by the American Friends Service Committee. The records dating from after 1917 appear to overlap with the activities of the Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania, of which the Frauenhilfsfond president, Antonie Ehrlich, and others in the group were simultaneously members.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1921-1925
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Extent: 0.3 linear feet (1 volume/box + 6 folders)
Scrapbook kept by Frederick W. Haussmann, from approximately 1921 to 1925, related to his recreational and volunteer activities in Philadelphia, especially concerning the United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia), an umbrella organization of German-American choral societies, and the related regional group, Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, as well as the charitable organization Hilfsfond, which raised funds for humanitarian aid to Germany following the First World War. The volume also includes a section devoted to obituary clippings on German Americans in Haussmann's milieu. (View full finding aid.)
title
Frederick W. Haussmann scrapbook
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 33
repository
extent
0.3 linear feet (1 volume/box + 6 folders)
inclusive date
circa 1921-1925
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Scrapbook kept by Frederick W. Haussmann, from approximately 1921 to 1925, related to his recreational and volunteer activities in Philadelphia, especially concerning the United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia), an umbrella organization of German-American choral societies, and the related regional group, Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, as well as the charitable organization Hilfsfond, which raised funds for humanitarian aid to Germany following the First World War. The volume also includes a section devoted to obituary clippings on German Americans in Haussmann's milieu.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1943-1945
Creator:
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Lawrence, E. Hagen
Extent: 0.1 linear feet (5 folders)
This collection contains the records of the German Associated Nationality Group, a committee of the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross that led a fundraising effort within the German-American community in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during World War II, from 1943 to 1945, as part of the Red Cross War Fund campaign. Included are minutes of meetings (12 March to 12 May 1943); invitation letters to meetings (July 1943 to April 1944); two appeal letters (1944, 1945), including related Red Cross campaign ephemera; committee membership lists; lists of donors and donations; and two clippings from German-language newspapers. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. Records
creator
German Associated Nationality Group of the American Red Cross War Fund Campaign. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Lawrence, E. Hagen
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 50
repository
extent
0.1 linear feet (5 folders)
inclusive date
1943-1945
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Associated Nationality Group, a committee of the Southeastern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross that led a fundraising effort within the German-American community in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during World War II, from 1943 to 1945, as part of the Red Cross War Fund campaign. Included are minutes of meetings (12 March to 12 May 1943); invitation letters to meetings (July 1943 to April 1944); two appeal letters (1944, 1945), including related Red Cross campaign ephemera; committee membership lists; lists of donors and donations; and two clippings from German-language newspapers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1847-1947
(Bulk: 1854-1938)
Creator:
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885
Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Hoffmann, Henry
Naumann, O. Richard
Extent: 10 linear feet (52 boxes)
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Agentur records
creator
Ackermann, William Robert, 1823-1885 Bernt, Joseph, 1841-1916 German Society of Pennsylvania. Hoffmann, Henry Naumann, O. Richard
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 3
repository
extent
10 linear feet (52 boxes)
inclusive date
1847-1947
bulk date
1854-1938
abstract/scope/contents
72 volumes of handwritten ledgers, indexes, logs, reports, and letter books, recording the efforts of the Agentur to help needy German immigrants and Philadelphia residents of German origin over a period of a hundred years. Valuable biographical information for local history, social history, labor history, immigration research, genealogy.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1925, 1929
Creator:
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947
German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee.
Johannssen, Walther
Kellner, Elizabeth F.
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
Schmidt, Louis H.
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Foreign Relief Committee records
creator
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947 German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee. Johannssen, Walther Kellner, Elizabeth F. Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 Schmidt, Louis H. Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 44
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1919-1925, 1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1764-1998
(Bulk: 1764-1968)
Creator:
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Witte, Herman
Extent: 26.4 linear feet
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania institutional records
creator
German Society of Pennsylvania. Witte, Herman
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 1
repository
extent
26.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1998
bulk date
1764-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1925
Creator:
Grobel, Ewald
Hausser, C. A.
Heyl, Herman
Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Hoffmann, Henry
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hilfsfond records
creator
Grobel, Ewald Hausser, C. A. Heyl, Herman Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Hoffmann, Henry National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 28
repository
extent
1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1914-1925
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1944, 1959-1982
Creator:
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club.
Naegele, Katharina
Steeb, Lee
Extent: 0.38 linear feet (3 boxes)
This collections comprises three minute books of the Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club, which was founded 12 February 1914, with the aim of holding social events and assisting the Philadelphia Rifle Club (Philadelphia Schützen-Verein), a German-American society that dated back to 1846. The Ladies Social Club also made charitable donations. It held meetings at the clubhouse of the Rifle Club in Schuetzen Park near Tabor Station, at the edge of the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia. The extant minutes cover two periods, 1914 to 1944, and 1959 to 1971. Loose correspondence found with the minute books dates to as late as 1982. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club minute books
creator
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club. Naegele, Katharina Steeb, Lee
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 47
repository
extent
0.38 linear feet (3 boxes)
inclusive date
1914-1944, 1959-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collections comprises three minute books of the Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club, which was founded 12 February 1914, with the aim of holding social events and assisting the Philadelphia Rifle Club (Philadelphia Schützen-Verein), a German-American society that dated back to 1846. The Ladies Social Club also made charitable donations. It held meetings at the clubhouse of the Rifle Club in Schuetzen Park near Tabor Station, at the edge of the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia. The extant minutes cover two periods, 1914 to 1944, and 1959 to 1971. Loose correspondence found with the minute books dates to as late as 1982.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1933-1938, 1954-1959
Creator:
Herold, Lucy
Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners.
Extent: 0.25 linear feet (2 boxes)
This collection comprises two volumes of records of the Ladies Society (Damen-Verein), or women's auxiliary, of the Philadelphia Turners. The parent club, which was known until the late 1930s as the Philadelphia Turngemeinde, was one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The Ladies Society was founded on 5 September 1877 to assist the Turngemeinde. These partial records of the Ladies Society are from two different periods. The first volume is a ledger recording member information and dues paid from 1933 to 1938. The second volume is a cashbook kept from 1954 to 1959. In the 1950s the Ladies Society mainly held social events such as card parties, dessert parties, picnics, and dinners; and besides supporting the Turngemeinde it partly had a general charitable purpose. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners. Records
creator
Herold, Lucy Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 49
repository
extent
0.25 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1933-1938, 1954-1959
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection comprises two volumes of records of the Ladies Society (Damen-Verein), or women's auxiliary, of the Philadelphia Turners. The parent club, which was known until the late 1930s as the Philadelphia Turngemeinde, was one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The Ladies Society was founded on 5 September 1877 to assist the Turngemeinde. These partial records of the Ladies Society are from two different periods. The first volume is a ledger recording member information and dues paid from 1933 to 1938. The second volume is a cashbook kept from 1954 to 1959. In the 1950s the Ladies Society mainly held social events such as card parties, dessert parties, picnics, and dinners; and besides supporting the Turngemeinde it partly had a general charitable purpose.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1936-1939
Creator:
Heinrici, Max
Extent: 0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
Max Heinrici manuscript and photographs
creator
Heinrici, Max
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 46
repository
extent
0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1936-1939
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1924-1929
Creator:
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963
Heyl, Herman
Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee.
Hoffmann, Henry
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee.
Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951
Thomas, C. R. Walther
Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde. (View full finding aid.)
title
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria records
creator
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963 Heyl, Herman Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee. Hoffmann, Henry Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee. Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951 Thomas, C. R. Walther Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 29
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
circa 1924-1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1880-1935
(Bulk: 1880-1926)
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Hoffmann, Henry
Kuhl, Carl
Luedecke, Ernst
Nordöstlicher Sängerbund.
Säuberlich, Ernst
Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
Extent: 4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925. (View full finding aid.)
title
United Singers of Philadelphia records
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929 Hoffmann, Henry Kuhl, Carl Luedecke, Ernst Nordöstlicher Sängerbund. Säuberlich, Ernst Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 15
repository
extent
4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1880-1935
bulk date
1880-1926
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1900-2013
Creator:
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania (Frauen-Hilfsverein) records
creator
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 40
repository
extent
6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »