Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library
Remove
filtered Sort: Title (descending)
Sort Results By:
hide/display content

Possible Sorts:

Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 45  
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1900-2013
Creator:
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera. (View full finding aid.)
title
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania (Frauen-Hilfsverein) records
creator
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 40
repository
extent
6.25 linear feet (5 paige boxes)
inclusive date
1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Women’s Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania was founded in 1900 to serve as an additional charitable arm of the Society, with particular emphasis on charity for families in distress in the Philadelphia area. Since its founding in 1764, the German Society had provided charitable assistance to German-speaking immigrants in the community, especially those newly arrived in the country. With German immigration on the decline in the early 20th century, the Women's Auxiliary assumed the greater portion of the Society's charitable work. After the First and Second World Wars the Auxiliary engaged in war relief to German speaking lands directly and in cooperation with Quaker relief agencies. As state and federal government undertook more and more welfare work in the city, the auxiliary charter was changed in the 1950s to provide scholarship aid to students who majored in German language study. The records include annual reports, charters, bylaws, minute books, treasurer’s reports, correspondence, fundraising materials, newsletters, photographs, and ephemera.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1880-1935
(Bulk: 1880-1926)
Creator:
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929
Hoffmann, Henry
Kuhl, Carl
Luedecke, Ernst
Nordöstlicher Sängerbund.
Säuberlich, Ernst
Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
Extent: 4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925. (View full finding aid.)
title
United Singers of Philadelphia records
creator
Haussmann, Frederick W., 1868-1929 Hoffmann, Henry Kuhl, Carl Luedecke, Ernst Nordöstlicher Sängerbund. Säuberlich, Ernst Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 15
repository
extent
4 linear feet (24 boxes + 4 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1880-1935
bulk date
1880-1926
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises the records of the umbrella organization United Singers of Philadelphia (Vereinigte Sänger von Philadelphia) from its founding, in 1881, until 1926, with some scattered ephemera dating as late as 1935; included are the records of several regional singing festivals held in Philadelphia (in 1882, 1897, 1912, and 1926) under the auspices of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund, an alliance of singing societies in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes minute books, financial records, correspondence, membership lists, scrapbooks, three newspaper issues related to Saengerfests (1897, 1912), and ephemera, including souvenir programs, admission tickets, fliers, and singers' badges (1912 festival). Also included are manuscripts in the hand of William A. Haussmann, of essays written for a souvenir program of 1912, and the rehearsal attendance list of the Ladies' Chorus, dated 1925.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1885-1943
(Bulk: 1905-1938)
Extent: 2 linear feet (5 boxes)
Eight scrapbooks of newspaper clippings related to German Americans and German-American issues, dating from 1885 to 1943, and concentrated in the period 1905 to 1938. Most of the clippings are from the New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, the New Yorker Herold, or the New York Times. Subjects include international news, general news, politics, obituaries, bequests, business, singing clubs, religion, and poems. The obituary clippings primarily cover prominent German Americans of the time and some Germans. (View full finding aid.)
title
Scrapbooks on German Americans
creator
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 41
repository
extent
2 linear feet (5 boxes)
inclusive date
1885-1943
bulk date
1905-1938
abstract/scope/contents
Eight scrapbooks of newspaper clippings related to German Americans and German-American issues, dating from 1885 to 1943, and concentrated in the period 1905 to 1938. Most of the clippings are from the New Yorker Staats-Zeitung, the New Yorker Herold, or the New York Times. Subjects include international news, general news, politics, obituaries, bequests, business, singing clubs, religion, and poems. The obituary clippings primarily cover prominent German Americans of the time and some Germans.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1924-1929
Creator:
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963
Heyl, Herman
Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee.
Hoffmann, Henry
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee.
Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951
Thomas, C. R. Walther
Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde. (View full finding aid.)
title
Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria records
creator
Evers, Fritz O., (Fritz Otto), 1886-1963 Heyl, Herman Hilfswerk für die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen. Philadelphia Komitee. Hoffmann, Henry Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria. Philadelphia Committee. Stopper, Eugene A., 1885-1951 Thomas, C. R. Walther Treut, Robert, 1885-1953
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 29
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (8 folders)
inclusive date
circa 1924-1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Records of a Philadelphia Committee that supported Relief for German Children of the Lost Provinces of Germany and Austria (Hilfswerk fuer die deutschen Kinder in den vom Deutschen Reich und Oesterreich abgetrennten Provinzen), a project of the Berlin-based German organization Verein für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA; Society for the Germans in Foreign Countries). The Philadelphia Committee, which was chaired by Pastor Fritz O. Evers from December 1925 through 1928, worked in cooperation with Robert Treut of the VDA, organizing Philadelphia showings of films provided by Treut that concerned Germany and German culture. The collection comprises financial records, correspondence, clippings, and ephemera related to four film evenings held from 1926 to 1929, the first three at the Metropolitan Opera House, and the last at the hall of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1883-1958
Creator:
Fischer, Casper
Philadelphia Turngemeinde.
Schuck, Louis F., 1870-1933
Extent: 0.17 linear feet (1 box + 1 oversize folder)
Collection of miscellaneous records as well as ephemera of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde (also known as the Philadelphia Turners), one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The records include a letter dated 1900 from Turngemeinde vice president Louis F. Schuck to the Academy of Music; an original manuscript (4 leaves), dated 1911, by member Casper Fischer, telling the history of the organization from the founding until 1899; and a guest register for events of the club from 1956 to 1958. The ephemera include invitation letters, program and admission ticket to the dedication ceremony of the new Turngemeinde hall in 1883 and the first two leaves of the Philadelphia newspaper Vereins und Logen Zeitung for 20 May 1899 containing the report of the Turngemeinde's 50th anniversary celebration. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Turngemeinde collection
creator
Fischer, Casper Philadelphia Turngemeinde. Schuck, Louis F., 1870-1933
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 22
repository
extent
0.17 linear feet (1 box + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1883-1958
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Collection of miscellaneous records as well as ephemera of the Philadelphia Turngemeinde (also known as the Philadelphia Turners), one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The records include a letter dated 1900 from Turngemeinde vice president Louis F. Schuck to the Academy of Music; an original manuscript (4 leaves), dated 1911, by member Casper Fischer, telling the history of the organization from the founding until 1899; and a guest register for events of the club from 1956 to 1958. The ephemera include invitation letters, program and admission ticket to the dedication ceremony of the new Turngemeinde hall in 1883 and the first two leaves of the Philadelphia newspaper Vereins und Logen Zeitung for 20 May 1899 containing the report of the Turngemeinde's 50th anniversary celebration.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1860-1902
Creator:
Welden, Otto, 1824-1902
Extent: 0.93 linear feet (4 boxes)
Handwritten copies of works by German-American author Otto Welden (pseudonym of P. J. Reuss), mostly produced at Welden's direction, with some material in his own hand. Comprises two volumes of poetry, three dramatic works, and two novels. Includes works that were published only in periodicals; some may not have been published in any form. (View full finding aid.)
title
Otto Welden literary manuscripts
creator
Welden, Otto, 1824-1902
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AX 3171
repository
extent
0.93 linear feet (4 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1860-1902
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Handwritten copies of works by German-American author Otto Welden (pseudonym of P. J. Reuss), mostly produced at Welden's direction, with some material in his own hand. Comprises two volumes of poetry, three dramatic works, and two novels. Includes works that were published only in periodicals; some may not have been published in any form.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1912, 1917-1919
Creator:
Brauch, Carl
Brauch, Otto, b. 1885
Extent: 05 linear feet (1 folder, 7 items)
Otto Brauch was an immigrant from Hamburg, Germany, who settled in Philadelphia some time before 1917, and was working for the Hamburg-American Line in 1918. The collection of 7 items includes an identification card and insurance fund membership card related to his employment; a letter from the United States Immigration Service, 1917; and three items addressed to him in 1919, from his brother Carl Brauch, who was a prisoner of war at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and returned home to Hamburg that year. (View full finding aid.)
title
Otto Brauch papers
creator
Brauch, Carl Brauch, Otto, b. 1885
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 51
repository
extent
05 linear feet (1 folder, 7 items)
inclusive date
1912, 1917-1919
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Otto Brauch was an immigrant from Hamburg, Germany, who settled in Philadelphia some time before 1917, and was working for the Hamburg-American Line in 1918. The collection of 7 items includes an identification card and insurance fund membership card related to his employment; a letter from the United States Immigration Service, 1917; and three items addressed to him in 1919, from his brother Carl Brauch, who was a prisoner of war at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and returned home to Hamburg that year.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1914-1940
Creator:
Borst, Selma
Guthmann, Oscar, b. 1894
Extent: 05 linear feet (1 folder, 7 items)
Oscar Guthmann was a German seaman, born in Hamburg, in 1894, who later apparently settled in New York City. The collection comprises a 1921 copy of Guthmann's birth certificate, and 6 photographs, including one that is on a postcard addressed to a German, Hans Lüders, who was interned at the Knockaloe Aliens Camp on the Isle of Man, England, during World War I. Another photograph depicts a sailboat, or yacht, named Jacinta, at dock, and is inscribed on the verso with the name and address of Chase Adams of Dearborn, Michigan. (View full finding aid.)
title
Oscar Guthmann family papers
creator
Borst, Selma Guthmann, Oscar, b. 1894
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 52
repository
extent
05 linear feet (1 folder, 7 items)
inclusive date
circa 1914-1940
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Oscar Guthmann was a German seaman, born in Hamburg, in 1894, who later apparently settled in New York City. The collection comprises a 1921 copy of Guthmann's birth certificate, and 6 photographs, including one that is on a postcard addressed to a German, Hans Lüders, who was interned at the Knockaloe Aliens Camp on the Isle of Man, England, during World War I. Another photograph depicts a sailboat, or yacht, named Jacinta, at dock, and is inscribed on the verso with the name and address of Chase Adams of Dearborn, Michigan.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1903-1938
(Bulk: 1910-1918)
Creator:
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939
Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument. (View full finding aid.)
title
National German-American Alliance records
creator
Cronau, Rudolf, 1855-1939 Hexamer, C. J., (Charles John), 1862-1921 Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 58
repository
extent
0.63 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1903-1938
bulk date
1910-1918
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains records of the National German-American Alliance (NGAA; Deutschamerikanischer Nationalbund), a federation of German-American organizations in the United States based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that existed from 1901 to 1918, for most of that time under the leadership of Charles J. Hexamer. The NGAA aimed to foster fellowship and common endeavors among German Americans, to advocate on issues affecting German-American life, and to support the preservation of German culture in the United States. The collection includes correspondence, reports, clippings, and printed ephemera. The bulk of the materials dates from 1910 to 1918, and pertains to the NGAA's efforts to erect two monuments to figures of German-American history: one in Germantown, Philadelphia, honoring the first German settlers and their leader, Francis Daniel Pastorius; and the other in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, dedicated to the revolutionary war general Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben. Included are papers kept by the German-American artist and journalist Rudolf Cronau, who chaired the NGAA commission that oversaw the planning for the Germantown monument.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1868-1935, 1985
Creator:
Männerchor. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Schmidt, Herbert R., 1914-2011
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (2 boxes + 3 folders)
This small collection comprises a charter, ephemera, photographs, and memorabilia related to the Männerchor, the first German-American singing society in the United States, founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15 December 1835. The specific items include the original handwritten charter, signed by 13 members, in March 1868; a summer season concert program from 1887; a banner dedicated to the society in 1925 from its women's chorus (Damenchor); the program and menu for the 100th anniversary celebration in 1935, along with a miniature souvenir banner dedicated to the Männerchor on that occasion, by the Vereinigten Sänger von Baltimore (United Singers of Baltimore); and two photographs taken at the Männerchor's 150th anniversary celebration, in 1985, on which occasion the society was officially dissolved, according to a note on the verso of one of the photographs, signed by Herbert Schmidt, one of the last active members. (View full finding aid.)
title
Männerchor records
creator
Männerchor. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Schmidt, Herbert R., 1914-2011
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 56
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (2 boxes + 3 folders)
inclusive date
1868-1935, 1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This small collection comprises a charter, ephemera, photographs, and memorabilia related to the Männerchor, the first German-American singing society in the United States, founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 15 December 1835. The specific items include the original handwritten charter, signed by 13 members, in March 1868; a summer season concert program from 1887; a banner dedicated to the society in 1925 from its women's chorus (Damenchor); the program and menu for the 100th anniversary celebration in 1935, along with a miniature souvenir banner dedicated to the Männerchor on that occasion, by the Vereinigten Sänger von Baltimore (United Singers of Baltimore); and two photographs taken at the Männerchor's 150th anniversary celebration, in 1985, on which occasion the society was officially dissolved, according to a note on the verso of one of the photographs, signed by Herbert Schmidt, one of the last active members.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1936-1939
Creator:
Heinrici, Max
Extent: 0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
Max Heinrici manuscript and photographs
creator
Heinrici, Max
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 46
repository
extent
0.83 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1936-1939
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains an unpublished manuscript by Max Heinrici, and several photographs of him in his later years. The manuscript (approximately 460 leaves) tells the history of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1915 to 1935, and was intended as a continuation of an earlier history of the Society that Heinrici had published in 1917, co-authored by Oswald Seidensticker. It includes biographical sketches of prominent Society leaders, and lists of its officers and board of directors for the period. The text gives perspectives on the experiences of German Americans in the era of the First World War, and contains material on charitable relief work carried on by German Americans in Philadelphia to benefit Germany and Austria-Hungary during and after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1918-1919
Creator:
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Schmidt, Louis H.
Extent: 0.21 linear feet (1 box + 6 posters + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent, a committee that coordinated the campaign for the purchase of Liberty Bonds among German Americans in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1918, during the First World War. Liberty Bonds were issued by the United States government to finance the American war effort. These records were kept by Louis H. Schmidt, treasurer of the Committee, and pertain mainly to the Third and Fourth Liberty Loans, with inclusion of a few subscription lists related to the fifth loan, issued in 1919 and known as the Victory Liberty Loan. The collection contains correspondence, subscription forms, lists of subscribers, reports, clippings, and ephemera, including Liberty Loan volunteer buttons and six posters promoting the purchase of Liberty Bonds. (View full finding aid.)
title
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent records
creator
Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Schmidt, Louis H.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AA 231
repository
extent
0.21 linear feet (1 box + 6 posters + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1918-1919
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the Liberty Loan Committee of Americans of German Birth or Descent, a committee that coordinated the campaign for the purchase of Liberty Bonds among German Americans in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1918, during the First World War. Liberty Bonds were issued by the United States government to finance the American war effort. These records were kept by Louis H. Schmidt, treasurer of the Committee, and pertain mainly to the Third and Fourth Liberty Loans, with inclusion of a few subscription lists related to the fifth loan, issued in 1919 and known as the Victory Liberty Loan. The collection contains correspondence, subscription forms, lists of subscribers, reports, clippings, and ephemera, including Liberty Loan volunteer buttons and six posters promoting the purchase of Liberty Bonds.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1933-1938, 1954-1959
Creator:
Herold, Lucy
Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners.
Extent: 0.25 linear feet (2 boxes)
This collection comprises two volumes of records of the Ladies Society (Damen-Verein), or women's auxiliary, of the Philadelphia Turners. The parent club, which was known until the late 1930s as the Philadelphia Turngemeinde, was one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The Ladies Society was founded on 5 September 1877 to assist the Turngemeinde. These partial records of the Ladies Society are from two different periods. The first volume is a ledger recording member information and dues paid from 1933 to 1938. The second volume is a cashbook kept from 1954 to 1959. In the 1950s the Ladies Society mainly held social events such as card parties, dessert parties, picnics, and dinners; and besides supporting the Turngemeinde it partly had a general charitable purpose. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners. Records
creator
Herold, Lucy Ladies Society of the Philadelphia Turners.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 49
repository
extent
0.25 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1933-1938, 1954-1959
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection comprises two volumes of records of the Ladies Society (Damen-Verein), or women's auxiliary, of the Philadelphia Turners. The parent club, which was known until the late 1930s as the Philadelphia Turngemeinde, was one of the oldest German-American Turner, or gymnastics clubs in the United States, founded in 1849. The Ladies Society was founded on 5 September 1877 to assist the Turngemeinde. These partial records of the Ladies Society are from two different periods. The first volume is a ledger recording member information and dues paid from 1933 to 1938. The second volume is a cashbook kept from 1954 to 1959. In the 1950s the Ladies Society mainly held social events such as card parties, dessert parties, picnics, and dinners; and besides supporting the Turngemeinde it partly had a general charitable purpose.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1944, 1959-1982
Creator:
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club.
Naegele, Katharina
Steeb, Lee
Extent: 0.38 linear feet (3 boxes)
This collections comprises three minute books of the Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club, which was founded 12 February 1914, with the aim of holding social events and assisting the Philadelphia Rifle Club (Philadelphia Schützen-Verein), a German-American society that dated back to 1846. The Ladies Social Club also made charitable donations. It held meetings at the clubhouse of the Rifle Club in Schuetzen Park near Tabor Station, at the edge of the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia. The extant minutes cover two periods, 1914 to 1944, and 1959 to 1971. Loose correspondence found with the minute books dates to as late as 1982. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club minute books
creator
Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club. Naegele, Katharina Steeb, Lee
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 47
repository
extent
0.38 linear feet (3 boxes)
inclusive date
1914-1944, 1959-1982
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collections comprises three minute books of the Ladies Social Club of the Philadelphia Rifle Club, which was founded 12 February 1914, with the aim of holding social events and assisting the Philadelphia Rifle Club (Philadelphia Schützen-Verein), a German-American society that dated back to 1846. The Ladies Social Club also made charitable donations. It held meetings at the clubhouse of the Rifle Club in Schuetzen Park near Tabor Station, at the edge of the Olney neighborhood of Philadelphia. The extant minutes cover two periods, 1914 to 1944, and 1959 to 1971. Loose correspondence found with the minute books dates to as late as 1982.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1860s-1934, 1948-1969
Creator:
Krutzke, Herbert Fritz, 1888-1969
Krutzke, Louise, 1898-1987
Krutzky, Maria, 1881-1959
Extent: 0.33 linear feet (2 boxes)
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs and memorabilia from the Krutzke (Krutzky) family. The correspondence is mostly addressed to Herbert Krutzke and his wife, Luise (Louise) Krutzke (née Greger), German Americans who came from East Prussia and lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The correspondents are family members and several friends living in Germany. The correspondence falls into two time periods, 1911 to 1934 and 1948 to 1969. The memorabilia includes an art work, partly sewn, with a handwritten text, created by a German child in school, in the 1860s or early 1870s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Krutzke family papers
creator
Krutzke, Herbert Fritz, 1888-1969 Krutzke, Louise, 1898-1987 Krutzky, Maria, 1881-1959
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 43
repository
extent
0.33 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1860s-1934, 1948-1969
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection consists of correspondence, photographs and memorabilia from the Krutzke (Krutzky) family. The correspondence is mostly addressed to Herbert Krutzke and his wife, Luise (Louise) Krutzke (née Greger), German Americans who came from East Prussia and lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The correspondents are family members and several friends living in Germany. The correspondence falls into two time periods, 1911 to 1934 and 1948 to 1969. The memorabilia includes an art work, partly sewn, with a handwritten text, created by a German child in school, in the 1860s or early 1870s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1930-1984
(Bulk: 1939-1983)
Creator:
Marx, Karl T., 1902-1997
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection documents the activities of Karl T. Marx and it spans the years 1930 to 1984 with the bulk of the materials dating from 1939 to 1983. He was a German immigrant who was employed in the textile industry and was also a prolific writer in the German and English languages on a variety of subjects. Some of his writings deal with technical issues related to the textile industry. Other writings include aphorisms, prose and articles related to his interest in German-American history. During World War II, he collected political cartoons related to the war from various newspapers that are arranged in two scrapbooks. The collection also includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, ephemera, and films. (View full finding aid.)
title
Karl T. Marx papers
creator
Marx, Karl T., 1902-1997
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 38
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1930-1984
bulk date
1939-1983
abstract/scope/contents
This collection documents the activities of Karl T. Marx and it spans the years 1930 to 1984 with the bulk of the materials dating from 1939 to 1983. He was a German immigrant who was employed in the textile industry and was also a prolific writer in the German and English languages on a variety of subjects. Some of his writings deal with technical issues related to the textile industry. Other writings include aphorisms, prose and articles related to his interest in German-American history. During World War II, he collected political cartoons related to the war from various newspapers that are arranged in two scrapbooks. The collection also includes correspondence, clippings, photographs, ephemera, and films.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1915-1994
Creator:
Hugg, Karl Oscar, 1894-1992
Extent: 0.33 linear feet (2 boxes)
This collection primarily consists of 187 photographs that document Karl Oscar Hugg’s activities as a World War I pilot for Germany. Before and after the war he studied to be an opera singer, and two concert programs for events he sang at are included. In 1923, Hugg immigrated to the United States, where he worked as a tool and die maker. In 1942 he was faced with possible denaturalization over some pro-German statements he made. The collection includes news clippings from his denaturalization trial in 1942 to 1943, as well as other biographical information. (View full finding aid.)
title
Karl Oscar Hugg papers
creator
Hugg, Karl Oscar, 1894-1992
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 39
repository
extent
0.33 linear feet (2 boxes)
inclusive date
1915-1994
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection primarily consists of 187 photographs that document Karl Oscar Hugg’s activities as a World War I pilot for Germany. Before and after the war he studied to be an opera singer, and two concert programs for events he sang at are included. In 1923, Hugg immigrated to the United States, where he worked as a tool and die maker. In 1942 he was faced with possible denaturalization over some pro-German statements he made. The collection includes news clippings from his denaturalization trial in 1942 to 1943, as well as other biographical information.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1831-1892
Creator:
Ballier, John F. (John Frederick), 1815-1893
Extent: 2.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
The collection primarily includes records related to the Civil War service of John F. Ballier, including correspondence, guard reports, muster rolls, military orders, and other papers pertaining to the 21st and the 98th Regiments of Pennsylvania Volunteers, which Ballier commanded. Other papers of Ballier include a handwritten copy of a resolution of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, Third Regiment, acknowledging Ballier's retirement in 1876; and a personal scrapbook of correspondence, memorabilia, ephemera, and clippings documenting his Civil War service as well as other events throughout his life. Many items in the scrapbook relate to German-American societies and festivities in Philadelphia. Also included are records of discharges and payments to veterans of regiments in Pennsylvania and in other states; and a volume entitled Pennsylvania Militia Legion cashbook. (View full finding aid.)
title
John F. Ballier papers
creator
Ballier, John F. (John Frederick), 1815-1893
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 11
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet (6 boxes)
inclusive date
circa 1831-1892
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection primarily includes records related to the Civil War service of John F. Ballier, including correspondence, guard reports, muster rolls, military orders, and other papers pertaining to the 21st and the 98th Regiments of Pennsylvania Volunteers, which Ballier commanded. Other papers of Ballier include a handwritten copy of a resolution of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, Third Regiment, acknowledging Ballier's retirement in 1876; and a personal scrapbook of correspondence, memorabilia, ephemera, and clippings documenting his Civil War service as well as other events throughout his life. Many items in the scrapbook relate to German-American societies and festivities in Philadelphia. Also included are records of discharges and payments to veterans of regiments in Pennsylvania and in other states; and a volume entitled Pennsylvania Militia Legion cashbook.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1935, 1937
Creator:
Gibson, James E., (James Edgar)
Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871-
Extent: 05 linear feet (1 folder)
The collection comprises a signed typescript of a paper (12 leaves) presented by James E. Gibson at the annual meeting of the Montgomery County Historical Society at Norristown, Pennsylvania, in 1935, on the German-born physician Bodo Otto, who served at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. The paper preceded Gibson's book on Otto, which was published in 1937. Also included is a newspaper clipping of a German-language article on Bodo Otto by Carl Frederick Haussmann, published in the Philadelphia Gazette-Democrat, in 1937, which was based on Gibson's material. (View full finding aid.)
title
James E. Gibson manuscript on Bodo Otto
creator
Gibson, James E., (James Edgar) Haussmann, Carl Frederick, 1871-
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 53
repository
extent
05 linear feet (1 folder)
inclusive date
1935, 1937
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises a signed typescript of a paper (12 leaves) presented by James E. Gibson at the annual meeting of the Montgomery County Historical Society at Norristown, Pennsylvania, in 1935, on the German-born physician Bodo Otto, who served at Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. The paper preceded Gibson's book on Otto, which was published in 1937. Also included is a newspaper clipping of a German-language article on Bodo Otto by Carl Frederick Haussmann, published in the Philadelphia Gazette-Democrat, in 1937, which was based on Gibson's material.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1914-1925
Creator:
Grobel, Ewald
Hausser, C. A.
Heyl, Herman
Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Hoffmann, Henry
National German-American Alliance.
Extent: 1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hilfsfond records
creator
Grobel, Ewald Hausser, C. A. Heyl, Herman Hilfsfond. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Hoffmann, Henry National German-American Alliance.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 28
repository
extent
1.7 linear feet (10 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1914-1925
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hilfsfond, or Relief Fund, of Philadelphia, was a German-American charity for civilian war relief that was founded on 5 August 1914, just after the start of the First World War, and remained in existence until 1925. The Hilfsfond initially aimed to assist widows and orphans of German and Austrian-Hungarian soldiers killed in the war. After the entrance of the United States into the war, it focused on aid to prisoners of war interned in the United States and Canada; and in the postwar period it provided humanitarian relief in Germany, with special attention to the plight of children. During World War I, the Hilfsfond had close ties to the National German-American Alliance. Some of its leaders were also active members of the German Society of Pennsylvania. In the 1920s the Hilfsfond worked in cooperation with the American Friends Service Committee. The records include minute books, from the founding until April 1925; treasurer's records, 1914 to 1916; and ephemera such as appeal letters and programs for fundraising events.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1871, 1879
Creator:
Rabe, Catherine, 1848-1943
Rabe, Frederick Martin
Voelcker, Henry, 1842-1879
Extent: 0.2 linear feet
The collection consists of 12 letters written by Henry Voelcker, of Philadelphia, to his wife, Catherine Voelcker (later: Catherine Rabe), over several months during a trip to Germany, in 1879, along with a small notebook containing a draft of another letter. Henry and Catherine were both German immigrants, and the destination of Henry's trip was Durkheim, Germany, his hometown; he was very ill at the time and died shortly after his return to Philadelphia. The collection also includes a diary (partly resembling an autograph album) belonging to Frederick Martin Rabe, whom Catherine later married. Rabe, also a German immigrant and resident of Philadelphia, wrote the diary in 1871 when he was living in Lawrence, New South Wales, Australia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Henry Voelcker, Catherine Rabe, and Frederick Martin Rabe family papers
creator
Rabe, Catherine, 1848-1943 Rabe, Frederick Martin Voelcker, Henry, 1842-1879
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 25
repository
extent
0.2 linear feet
inclusive date
1871, 1879
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection consists of 12 letters written by Henry Voelcker, of Philadelphia, to his wife, Catherine Voelcker (later: Catherine Rabe), over several months during a trip to Germany, in 1879, along with a small notebook containing a draft of another letter. Henry and Catherine were both German immigrants, and the destination of Henry's trip was Durkheim, Germany, his hometown; he was very ill at the time and died shortly after his return to Philadelphia. The collection also includes a diary (partly resembling an autograph album) belonging to Frederick Martin Rabe, whom Catherine later married. Rabe, also a German immigrant and resident of Philadelphia, wrote the diary in 1871 when he was living in Lawrence, New South Wales, Australia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1855-1957
(Bulk: 1855-1918)
Creator:
Hammerstein, Max
Harmonie Singing Society.
Hecking, Joseph
Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913
Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914
Kunath, Oscar
Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Moebius, Emil
Extent: 1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957). (View full finding aid.)
title
Harmonie Singing Society records
creator
Hammerstein, Max Harmonie Singing Society. Hecking, Joseph Herrmann, S. L., (Samuel L.), 1858-1913 Huch, C. F., (Carl Friedrich), 1830-1914 Kunath, Oscar Liedertafel der Deutschen Freien Gemeinde. (Philadelphia, Pa.) Moebius, Emil
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 54
repository
extent
1 linear feet (5 boxes + 3 oversize folders)
inclusive date
1855-1957
bulk date
1855-1918
abstract/scope/contents
The collection contains the records of the Harmonie Singing Society of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1855, and originally known as the Liedertafel des Deutschen Freien Gemeinde (Liedertafel of the Independent German Congregation); it changed its name to Harmonie in 1869, when it reestablished itself separate from the congregation. A Women's, or Ladies' Chorus (Damen-Chor) was founded in 1857. The records include minutes dating from the founding in 1855 until December 1918, with a gap during the years 1876 to 1885; a certificate of incorporation of 1892; ephemera from the late 1890s; a scrapbook of newspaper clippings documenting the 50th anniversary celebration, in 1905; correspondence related to the 60th anniversary celebration, in 1915; anniversary concert programs (1925, 1939, 1940, and 1949); and several songbooks used at regional singing festivals of the Nordöstlicher Sängerbund (1903-1957).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
circa 1935
Creator:
Fick, H. H., (Heinrich H.), 1849-1935
Extent: 0.13 linear feet (1 box)
The collection comprises a scrapbook containing clippings of an autobiography written by Heinrich H. Fick, a German-American educator, writer and poet, born in Lübeck, who spent much of his professional life working in the public school system of Cincinnati, Ohio, and who was noted for his leading of the training program for German teachers, and his development of the bilingual German-English curriculum. His career there spanned the 1890s until 1918. The work, entitled "Zwischen Anfang und Ende: mein Leben" (Between the beginning and the end: my life), was published in installments in the Chicago German-language newspaper Sonntagpost, not long before Fick's death, in 1935. Fick tells of both his personal and his professional life, and also, at times, about current events, such as the assassination of President Lincoln, the Chicago fire of 1871, and German-American festive occasions. Included, at the back, is an obituary of Fick, which describes his funeral, in the chapel of the Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati. (View full finding aid.)
title
H. H. Fick autobiography
creator
Fick, H. H., (Heinrich H.), 1849-1935
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. AM 2171
repository
extent
0.13 linear feet (1 box)
inclusive date
circa 1935
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The collection comprises a scrapbook containing clippings of an autobiography written by Heinrich H. Fick, a German-American educator, writer and poet, born in Lübeck, who spent much of his professional life working in the public school system of Cincinnati, Ohio, and who was noted for his leading of the training program for German teachers, and his development of the bilingual German-English curriculum. His career there spanned the 1890s until 1918. The work, entitled "Zwischen Anfang und Ende: mein Leben" (Between the beginning and the end: my life), was published in installments in the Chicago German-language newspaper Sonntagpost, not long before Fick's death, in 1935. Fick tells of both his personal and his professional life, and also, at times, about current events, such as the assassination of President Lincoln, the Chicago fire of 1871, and German-American festive occasions. Included, at the back, is an obituary of Fick, which describes his funeral, in the chapel of the Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1764-1998
(Bulk: 1764-1968)
Creator:
German Society of Pennsylvania.
Witte, Herman
Extent: 26.4 linear feet
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania institutional records
creator
German Society of Pennsylvania. Witte, Herman
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 1
repository
extent
26.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1998
bulk date
1764-1968
abstract/scope/contents
The German Society of Pennsylvania, founded in Philadelphia in 1764, directed its early efforts to assisting new German immigrants, especially those forced into indentured servitude when they were unable to pay their sea fare. Throughout the late 18th and 19th centuries, the Society was very visible in the thriving German-American community in Philadelphia, boasting just over one thousand members at the peak of its growth, in the late 1870s. In the 20th century, the Society’s scope and prominence was affected by the two World Wars, which created suspicion and criticism of Germanic culture. That suspicion and government scrutiny played a role in the dwindling membership of the Society. In the post-World War II era the Society channeled its overseas relief activities through a Quaker-based aid society. In the second half of the century, the neighborhood was also changing, as it became predominantly African-American, rather than German, and more impoverished. But the Society pressed forward, continuing its educational and cultural programs. From the early 21st century, the Society has seen the resurgence of the neighborhood, and its leadership has directed the organization to embark on new projects. As of 2014, the Society building represents the last surviving monumental record of the German presence in Philadelphia. This collection contains the institutional records of the German Society of Pennsylvania from 1764 to approximately 1968, with some additional materials, such as souvenir programs and ephemera, dating to as late as 1998. Materials include correspondence, financial records, printed materials, clippings, ephemera, photographs, and bound volumes consisting of letter books, financial ledgers, membership record books, minute books, and scrapbooks. The records document the administrative affairs, financial transactions, membership activities, events, committees, and programs of the German Society of Pennsylvania. This collection documents the local German-American community in Philadelphia from the 18th through the 20th centuries as well as the Society’s efforts to preserve and celebrate German-American cultural identity on both local and national levels.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
German Society of Pennsylvania: Joseph P. Horner Memorial Library [Contact Us]
1919-1925, 1929
Creator:
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947
German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee.
Johannssen, Walther
Kellner, Elizabeth F.
Mayer, John B., 1864-1922
Schmidt, Louis H.
Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war. (View full finding aid.)
title
German Society of Pennsylvania Foreign Relief Committee records
creator
Berger, Carl P., 1873-1947 German Society of Pennsylvania. Foreign Relief Committee. Johannssen, Walther Kellner, Elizabeth F. Mayer, John B., 1864-1922 Schmidt, Louis H. Women's Auxiliary of the German Society of Pennsylvania.
id
GSP.Ms. Coll. 44
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (2 boxes + 1 oversize folder)
inclusive date
1919-1925, 1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the records of the German Society of Pennsylvania's Foreign Relief Committee, which from late 1919 through 1922 contributed humanitarian aid to the populations of Germany and Austria in the wake of the First World War. Most of the aid was distributed through the American Friends Service Committee. The collection contains correspondence, appeals, reports, financial records, and ephemera. The correspondence includes letters from 78 charitable organizations in Hamburg, Germany, that applied for distributions of donated sacks of flour in 1919; and nine letters written from various parts of Germany in 1922 during the period of inflation. The Foreign Relief Committee was comprised of an all-male committee of the Society and a committee of the Society's Women's Auxiliary, whose greatest contributions were in the form of knitted and sewn items produced by the members at weekly gatherings. Also included is a 1929 letter from the Deutsche Liga der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (an alliance of German social welfare organizations) telling of a monument to commemorate the foreign relief efforts that had helped Germany after the war.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »