Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Germantown Historical Society
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 38  
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1900-1987
Creator:
Shoemaker, Benjamin H., 1901-1987
Extent: 2.2 linear feet
Benjamin H. Shoemaker III (1901-1987) was a resident of the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the author of the two-volume series of genealogical works titled Shoemaker Pioneers. The Benjamin H. Shoemaker III papers, circa 1900-1987, are comprised of genealogical research compiled by Shoemaker, as well as personal papers. There is a small amount of records relating to Shoemaker's father's company, Benjamin Shoemaker, Inc., importers and distributors of window glass. (View full finding aid.)
title
Benjamin H. Shoemaker III papers
creator
Shoemaker, Benjamin H., 1901-1987
id
GHS.20
repository
extent
2.2 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1900-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Benjamin H. Shoemaker III (1901-1987) was a resident of the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the author of the two-volume series of genealogical works titled Shoemaker Pioneers. The Benjamin H. Shoemaker III papers, circa 1900-1987, are comprised of genealogical research compiled by Shoemaker, as well as personal papers. There is a small amount of records relating to Shoemaker's father's company, Benjamin Shoemaker, Inc., importers and distributors of window glass.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1963-1977
Creator:
Colonial Germantown Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 4 linear feet
Colonial Germantown Inc. was formed in 1956 and held its last formal meeting in 1975. Its goal was to revitalize the Germantown section of Philadelphia through both historic preservation and modern development. The Colonial Germantown Inc. records, 1963-1977, consist of administrative and financial records, including meeting minutes, reports, tax returns, and other document types. (View full finding aid.)
title
Colonial Germantown Inc. records
creator
Colonial Germantown Inc. (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
GHS.12
repository
extent
4 linear feet
inclusive date
1963-1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Colonial Germantown Inc. was formed in 1956 and held its last formal meeting in 1975. Its goal was to revitalize the Germantown section of Philadelphia through both historic preservation and modern development. The Colonial Germantown Inc. records, 1963-1977, consist of administrative and financial records, including meeting minutes, reports, tax returns, and other document types.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1802-1924
Creator:
Keyser, Naaman H., (Naaman Henry), b. 1867
Extent: 2.5 linear feet
Naaman Henry Keyser (1867-1922) was a dentist and historian who resided in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the author of many dental journal articles, historical addresses, and local histories. The Dr. Naaman H. Keyser family papers, 1802-1924, are comprised of family documents assembled by Dr. Naaman H. Keyser for his genealogical and local history research, as well as some of his research notes and manuscripts. The family documents date from about 1802 to the 1870s, and Naaman H. Keyser's research dates from the 1920s. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dr. Naaman H. Keyser family papers
creator
Keyser, Naaman H., (Naaman Henry), b. 1867
id
GHS.23
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1802-1924
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Naaman Henry Keyser (1867-1922) was a dentist and historian who resided in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the author of many dental journal articles, historical addresses, and local histories. The Dr. Naaman H. Keyser family papers, 1802-1924, are comprised of family documents assembled by Dr. Naaman H. Keyser for his genealogical and local history research, as well as some of his research notes and manuscripts. The family documents date from about 1802 to the 1870s, and Naaman H. Keyser's research dates from the 1920s.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1892-1991
Creator:
Haines, Edward P., 1918-
Extent: 3 linear feet
Ed Preston Haines, Sr. (1873-1937) was an engineer and inventor who resided in the Mount Airy section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His son Edward Preston Haines, Jr. (b. 1918) attended the Fox School of Business at Temple University. The Edward P. Haines, Sr. and Edward P. Haines, Jr. papers, 1892-1991, are comprised of papers from both father and son. These materials include photographs and negatives, audio tapes, correspondence, technical drawings, and financial records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edward P. Haines, Sr. and Edward P. Haines, Jr. papers
creator
Haines, Edward P., 1918-
id
GHS.26
repository
extent
3 linear feet
inclusive date
1892-1991
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Ed Preston Haines, Sr. (1873-1937) was an engineer and inventor who resided in the Mount Airy section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His son Edward Preston Haines, Jr. (b. 1918) attended the Fox School of Business at Temple University. The Edward P. Haines, Sr. and Edward P. Haines, Jr. papers, 1892-1991, are comprised of papers from both father and son. These materials include photographs and negatives, audio tapes, correspondence, technical drawings, and financial records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1886-1959
Creator:
Hocker, Edward W., 1873-1962
Extent: 4.33 linear feet
Edward W. Hocker (1872-1962) was a librarian at the Germantown Historical Society, a local historian, and a journalist who wrote the popular column "Up and Down Montgomery County." The Edward W. Hocker papers, 1886-1959, include manuscripts for Hocker's books and articles, his correspondence as librarian for the Germantown Historical Society, genealogical research on the Hartman family, scrapbooks, and correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edward W. Hocker papers
creator
Hocker, Edward W., 1873-1962
id
GHS.21
repository
extent
4.33 linear feet
inclusive date
1886-1959
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Edward W. Hocker (1872-1962) was a librarian at the Germantown Historical Society, a local historian, and a journalist who wrote the popular column "Up and Down Montgomery County." The Edward W. Hocker papers, 1886-1959, include manuscripts for Hocker's books and articles, his correspondence as librarian for the Germantown Historical Society, genealogical research on the Hartman family, scrapbooks, and correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1874-1931
Creator:
Jellett, Edwin C., (Edwin Costley), 1860-1929
Extent: 9.4 linear feet
Edwin Costley Jellett (1860-1929) was an engineer and amateur botanist, gardener and local historian known for his various books about Germantown, its environment, gardens, old homes and residents of the area. He was very active in the Germantown Horticultural Society and in the Germantown Historical Society. The Edwin C. Jellett papers, 1874-1931, contain scrapbooks, manuscripts, photographs, notes, and journals. Major subjects in the collection include the Wissahickon park, Germantown history, and Jellett's daily life. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edwin C. Jellett papers
creator
Jellett, Edwin C., (Edwin Costley), 1860-1929
id
GHS.08
repository
extent
9.4 linear feet
inclusive date
1874-1931
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Edwin Costley Jellett (1860-1929) was an engineer and amateur botanist, gardener and local historian known for his various books about Germantown, its environment, gardens, old homes and residents of the area. He was very active in the Germantown Horticultural Society and in the Germantown Historical Society. The Edwin C. Jellett papers, 1874-1931, contain scrapbooks, manuscripts, photographs, notes, and journals. Major subjects in the collection include the Wissahickon park, Germantown history, and Jellett's daily life.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1857-1948
Creator:
Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls.
Extent: 4.75 linear feet
The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was established in Philadelphia in 1882 for orphaned daughters of soldiers, firemen, and others sacrificed for the public benefit. In 1888, Foulke and Long merged with the Industrial Home for the Training of Girls in the Arts of Housewifery and Sewing. Foulke and Long moved to the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia in 1913, where it remained until the institute merged with the Youth Study Center of Philadelphia in 1960. The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records, 1857-1948, are primarily comprised of administrative, financial, and pupil records for the Foulke and Long Institute, with some materials from the Industrial Home for Girls. There are Admission and Dismission Committee records, meeting minutes, account books and ledgers, and many other document types. (View full finding aid.)
title
Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records
creator
Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls.
id
GHS.14
repository
extent
4.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1857-1948
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was established in Philadelphia in 1882 for orphaned daughters of soldiers, firemen, and others sacrificed for the public benefit. In 1888, Foulke and Long merged with the Industrial Home for the Training of Girls in the Arts of Housewifery and Sewing. Foulke and Long moved to the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia in 1913, where it remained until the institute merged with the Youth Study Center of Philadelphia in 1960. The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls records, 1857-1948, are primarily comprised of administrative, financial, and pupil records for the Foulke and Long Institute, with some materials from the Industrial Home for Girls. There are Admission and Dismission Committee records, meeting minutes, account books and ledgers, and many other document types.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1869-1897
Creator:
Wagner, Louis, 1838-1914
Extent: 14 linear feet
General Louis Wagner (1838-1914) was a Civil War veteran who served as Commander of Camp William Penn, and a Philadelphia city official. He served as Director of Public Works for the City of Philadelphia. The General Louis Wagner scrapbooks, circa 1873-1897, are mainly comprised of newspaper clippings relating to Philadelphia utilities. There are also clippings on Philadelphia politics, temperance, Girard College, the German Society of Philadelphia, and other subjects. Of special interest is a volume of autographs of army officers and other dignitaries at Ulysses S. Grant's reception in Philadelphia, December 1879. (View full finding aid.)
title
General Louis Wagner scrapbooks
creator
Wagner, Louis, 1838-1914
id
GHS.04
repository
extent
14 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1869-1897
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
General Louis Wagner (1838-1914) was a Civil War veteran who served as Commander of Camp William Penn, and a Philadelphia city official. He served as Director of Public Works for the City of Philadelphia. The General Louis Wagner scrapbooks, circa 1873-1897, are mainly comprised of newspaper clippings relating to Philadelphia utilities. There are also clippings on Philadelphia politics, temperance, Girard College, the German Society of Philadelphia, and other subjects. Of special interest is a volume of autographs of army officers and other dignitaries at Ulysses S. Grant's reception in Philadelphia, December 1879.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1913-1936
Creator:
Darrow, George Potter, 1859-1943
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
George P. Darrow (1859-1943) was a United States Congressman (1915-1937, 1939-1941) and a resident of the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The George P. Darrow scrapbooks, 1913-1936, comprise seven volumes relating to Darrow's political career and issues with which he was involved. Darrow worked to avert lay-offs at the Navy Yard, opposed Prohibition, and supported women's suffrage. (View full finding aid.)
title
George P. Darrow scrapbooks
creator
Darrow, George Potter, 1859-1943
id
GHS.29
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1913-1936
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
George P. Darrow (1859-1943) was a United States Congressman (1915-1937, 1939-1941) and a resident of the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The George P. Darrow scrapbooks, 1913-1936, comprise seven volumes relating to Darrow's political career and issues with which he was involved. Darrow worked to avert lay-offs at the Navy Yard, opposed Prohibition, and supported women's suffrage.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1906-1950
Creator:
Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association.
Extent: 2.5 linear feet
The Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association was formed in 1906, and focused on issues affecting the 22nd Ward of Philadelphia--encompassing the neighborhoods of Germantown, Chestnut Hill, and Mount Airy. Its concerns included roads and sewers, zoning, and fire and police protection; it helped to bring new schools, elevated train crossings, and reliable trash pick-up to the area. The Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association records, 1906-1950, include minutes, annual reports, a scrapbook, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association records
creator
Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association.
id
GHS.15
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1906-1950
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association was formed in 1906, and focused on issues affecting the 22nd Ward of Philadelphia--encompassing the neighborhoods of Germantown, Chestnut Hill, and Mount Airy. Its concerns included roads and sewers, zoning, and fire and police protection; it helped to bring new schools, elevated train crossings, and reliable trash pick-up to the area. The Germantown and Chestnut Hill Improvement Association records, 1906-1950, include minutes, annual reports, a scrapbook, correspondence, and newspaper clippings.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1898-1998
Creator:
Daughters of the American Revolution. Germantown Chapter (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 2.25 linear feet
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) is a service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism and American history that is open to any woman who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution. The DAR was founded in 1890, and a chapter in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia was established eight years later. The Germantown Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution records, 1898-1998, contain scrapbooks, administrative records, and pamphlets/ephemera. Scrapbooks dating from 1898 to 1978 make up the bulk of the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution records
creator
Daughters of the American Revolution. Germantown Chapter (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
GHS.13
repository
extent
2.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1898-1998
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) is a service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism and American history that is open to any woman who can prove lineal descent from a patriot of the American Revolution. The DAR was founded in 1890, and a chapter in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia was established eight years later. The Germantown Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution records, 1898-1998, contain scrapbooks, administrative records, and pamphlets/ephemera. Scrapbooks dating from 1898 to 1978 make up the bulk of the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1814-1966
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 2.8 linear feet
The Wisters were a prominent merchant family, established in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 18th century. The family built many homes in the area which are now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Germantown Historical Society collection on the Wister family, 1814-1966, is comprised of materials created by various members of the Wister family, such as business records, correspondence, diaries, knitting patterns, and photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society collection on the Wister family
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.18
repository
extent
2.8 linear feet
inclusive date
1814-1966
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Wisters were a prominent merchant family, established in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the 18th century. The family built many homes in the area which are now on the National Register of Historic Places. The Germantown Historical Society collection on the Wister family, 1814-1966, is comprised of materials created by various members of the Wister family, such as business records, correspondence, diaries, knitting patterns, and photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1688-1952
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 12.5 linear feet
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society deed collection, 1688-1952, contains original deeds and land titles for properties in the region of Germantown, Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society deed collection
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.02
repository
extent
12.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1688-1952
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society deed collection, 1688-1952, contains original deeds and land titles for properties in the region of Germantown, Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1864-2012
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 31.5 linear feet
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society family files, 1864-2012, contains research relating to prominent or long established families in Germantown. It consists primarily of research notes and copies, although there is a small amount of original primary source material in the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society family files
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.06
repository
extent
31.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1864-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society family files, 1864-2012, contains research relating to prominent or long established families in Germantown. It consists primarily of research notes and copies, although there is a small amount of original primary source material in the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1992-1993
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 10 linear feet
Germantown and Mount Airy are neighborhoods in the northwest section of Philadelphia which underwent dramatic demographic change, from nearly all Caucasian to significantly African-American, over the course of the 20th century. During the early 1990s, the Germantown Historical Society, in conjunction with other groups, conducted three oral history projects. The Germantown Historical Society oral history projects, circa 1992-1993, contains about 140 tapes of interviews, as well as some transcripts, interviewee data sheets, and other associated documents. The three oral history projects focused on the topics of Integration in West Mount Airy, African-Americans in Germantown between the World Wars, and Awbury Arboretum. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society oral history projects
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.31
repository
extent
10 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1992-1993
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown and Mount Airy are neighborhoods in the northwest section of Philadelphia which underwent dramatic demographic change, from nearly all Caucasian to significantly African-American, over the course of the 20th century. During the early 1990s, the Germantown Historical Society, in conjunction with other groups, conducted three oral history projects. The Germantown Historical Society oral history projects, circa 1992-1993, contains about 140 tapes of interviews, as well as some transcripts, interviewee data sheets, and other associated documents. The three oral history projects focused on the topics of Integration in West Mount Airy, African-Americans in Germantown between the World Wars, and Awbury Arboretum.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1875-2012
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 163 linear feet
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society pamphlet boxes, circa 1875-2012, contain files on various topics relating to Germantown and surrounding areas. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society pamphlet boxes
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.01
repository
extent
163 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1875-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society pamphlet boxes, circa 1875-2012, contain files on various topics relating to Germantown and surrounding areas.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1858-circa 1990
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 32 linear feet
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society photograph collection, 1856-circa 1990, consists of images of individuals, families, and scenes of the Germantown area. It includes photographic prints, photograph albums, glass plates, film negatives, and cased photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society photograph collection
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.07
repository
extent
32 linear feet
inclusive date
1858-circa 1990
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society photograph collection, 1856-circa 1990, consists of images of individuals, families, and scenes of the Germantown area. It includes photographic prints, photograph albums, glass plates, film negatives, and cased photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1900-1987
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 27 linear feet
The Germantown Historical Society was founded in 1900 as the Site and Relic Society of Germantown. It is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and interpreting the rich and diverse history of the historic German Township (now Germantown, Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill) in northwest Philadelphia. The Germantown Historical Society records, 1900-1987, consist primarily of minute books, visitor registers, correspondence, and financial records. This collection consists of the archival records of the Germantown Historical Society; active records are not included. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society records
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.16
repository
extent
27 linear feet
inclusive date
1900-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Germantown Historical Society was founded in 1900 as the Site and Relic Society of Germantown. It is dedicated to collecting, preserving, and interpreting the rich and diverse history of the historic German Township (now Germantown, Mt. Airy, and Chestnut Hill) in northwest Philadelphia. The Germantown Historical Society records, 1900-1987, consist primarily of minute books, visitor registers, correspondence, and financial records. This collection consists of the archival records of the Germantown Historical Society; active records are not included.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1880-1989
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 14.75 linear feet
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society scrapbook collection, circa 1880-1989, contains scrapbooks from multiple creators relating to local Germantown families, events, and organizations. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society scrapbook and photograph album collection
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.05
repository
extent
14.75 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1880-1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a section of northwest Philadelphia, was settled in the late 1600s. It is well known as the site of the first American anti-slavery protest, the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown, and the seat of the National government during the yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The Germantown Historical Society scrapbook collection, circa 1880-1989, contains scrapbooks from multiple creators relating to local Germantown families, events, and organizations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1764-1989
Creator:
Germantown Historical Society.
Extent: 42.5 linear feet
Germantown Historical Society small collections, 1764-1989, consists of small accumulations of records and papers from various families, individuals, and organizations based in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. There are four general groups of materials: "Organizational records," "Family and personal papers," "Unprocessed papers," and "Small manuscript collection." Rough, preliminary inventories exist for the first three groups and are provided below. There is an online finding aid for the fourth group, "Small manuscript collection," at http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/pacscl/HSP_GHS34SM. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society small collections
creator
Germantown Historical Society.
id
GHS.34
repository
extent
42.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1764-1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown Historical Society small collections, 1764-1989, consists of small accumulations of records and papers from various families, individuals, and organizations based in the Germantown section of Philadelphia. There are four general groups of materials: "Organizational records," "Family and personal papers," "Unprocessed papers," and "Small manuscript collection." Rough, preliminary inventories exist for the first three groups and are provided below. There is an online finding aid for the fourth group, "Small manuscript collection," at http://hdl.library.upenn.edu/1017/d/pacscl/HSP_GHS34SM.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1701-1987
Extent: 8 linear feet (one filing cabinet ("box 1"), two boxes ("box 2" and "box 3"))
Germantown, a neighborhood in the northwest section of Philadelphia, was the site of several nationally significant events. It was settled in the late 1600s by Mennonite and Quaker German-speaking emigrants and incorporated as a borough in 1689. Germantown is sometimes called the home of the American anti-slavery movement; the first organized protest against slavery in the Americas was begun by four members of the Germantown Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in 1688. In 1777, the courage displayed by American troops at the Battle of Germantown helped to spur the French to assist the United States in the Revolutionary War. During the yellow fever outbreak of 1793, government officials escaping the epidemic in Philadelphia relocated to Germantown, and it served as the temporary home of George Washington and the First Bank of the United States. Germantown was incorporated into the City of Philadelphia in 1854. The Germantown Historical Society small manuscript collection, dated 1701 to 1987, is an artificial collection containing small accumulations of family and personal papers, as well as business, government, and organizational documents, mostly evidencing the eighteenth and nineteenth century history of Philadelphia?s Germantown neighborhood. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Historical Society small manuscripts collection
creator
id
GHS.34SM
repository
extent
8 linear feet (one filing cabinet ("box 1"), two boxes ("box 2" and "box 3"))
inclusive date
1701-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Germantown, a neighborhood in the northwest section of Philadelphia, was the site of several nationally significant events. It was settled in the late 1600s by Mennonite and Quaker German-speaking emigrants and incorporated as a borough in 1689. Germantown is sometimes called the home of the American anti-slavery movement; the first organized protest against slavery in the Americas was begun by four members of the Germantown Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in 1688. In 1777, the courage displayed by American troops at the Battle of Germantown helped to spur the French to assist the United States in the Revolutionary War. During the yellow fever outbreak of 1793, government officials escaping the epidemic in Philadelphia relocated to Germantown, and it served as the temporary home of George Washington and the First Bank of the United States. Germantown was incorporated into the City of Philadelphia in 1854. The Germantown Historical Society small manuscript collection, dated 1701 to 1987, is an artificial collection containing small accumulations of family and personal papers, as well as business, government, and organizational documents, mostly evidencing the eighteenth and nineteenth century history of Philadelphia?s Germantown neighborhood.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1863-1997
Creator:
Germantown Hospital (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 58 linear feet
A medical dispensary was started in the Germantown section of Philadelphia in 1863, and seven years later the doors of Germantown Hospital opened to the public. In 1997 the hospital was acquired by Einstein medical group, and it was merged into Albert Einstein Medical Center in 1999. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Hospital records
creator
Germantown Hospital (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
GHS.27
repository
extent
58 linear feet
inclusive date
1863-1997
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A medical dispensary was started in the Germantown section of Philadelphia in 1863, and seven years later the doors of Germantown Hospital opened to the public. In 1997 the hospital was acquired by Einstein medical group, and it was merged into Albert Einstein Medical Center in 1999.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1873-1953
Creator:
Germantown Relief Society (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 2.5 linear feet
The Germantown Relief Society, founded in Philadelphia in 1873, was the first society in the United States to organize charitable work. It aimed to make sure charity reached those who needed it most, and avoid wasting effort on those who did not really need it. The Germantown Relief Society records, 1873-1953, consist of minute books, financial records, correspondence, scrapbooks, and other records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Relief Society records
creator
Germantown Relief Society (Philadelphia, Pa.).
id
GHS.10
repository
extent
2.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1873-1953
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Germantown Relief Society, founded in Philadelphia in 1873, was the first society in the United States to organize charitable work. It aimed to make sure charity reached those who needed it most, and avoid wasting effort on those who did not really need it. The Germantown Relief Society records, 1873-1953, consist of minute books, financial records, correspondence, scrapbooks, and other records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1910-2009
Creator:
Germantown Theatre Guild (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Minehart, Katherine (Kitty)
Extent: 50.58 linear feet
The Germantown Theatre Guild (GTG) in Philadelphia is one of the oldest small non-profit regional theatres in the country. Founded in 1933, the Theatre Guild continued (as of 2014) to operate out of the small carriage-house theatre and offices which are part of the historic residence built in 1742. The stage was the site of the first live televised theatre performance in the world in 1947. In 1970, the School District of Philadelphia built a theatre in the John B. Kelly school for the GTG to use for its Free Theatre for Children program. Known for years as ?the theatre with a social conscience,? the GTG has had as its mission serving audiences that are out of the mainstream of the cultural experience, taking plays into rural communities, inner city schools, libraries, senior citizen and recreation centers, as well as prisons in three states. The Germantown Theatre Guild records document the institutional history of the Germantown Theatre Guild. This collection dates from 1910 to 2009, with a number of undated records, and contains administrative records as well as materials related to theatrical performances, such as programs, scripts, and photographs. Together, these records document the activities of one of the oldest and most respected small, non-profit theater companies in the country. (View full finding aid.)
title
Germantown Theatre Guild records
creator
Germantown Theatre Guild (Philadelphia, Pa.). Minehart, Katherine (Kitty)
id
GHS.1998.11
repository
extent
50.58 linear feet
inclusive date
1910-2009
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Germantown Theatre Guild (GTG) in Philadelphia is one of the oldest small non-profit regional theatres in the country. Founded in 1933, the Theatre Guild continued (as of 2014) to operate out of the small carriage-house theatre and offices which are part of the historic residence built in 1742. The stage was the site of the first live televised theatre performance in the world in 1947. In 1970, the School District of Philadelphia built a theatre in the John B. Kelly school for the GTG to use for its Free Theatre for Children program. Known for years as ?the theatre with a social conscience,? the GTG has had as its mission serving audiences that are out of the mainstream of the cultural experience, taking plays into rural communities, inner city schools, libraries, senior citizen and recreation centers, as well as prisons in three states. The Germantown Theatre Guild records document the institutional history of the Germantown Theatre Guild. This collection dates from 1910 to 2009, with a number of undated records, and contains administrative records as well as materials related to theatrical performances, such as programs, scripts, and photographs. Together, these records document the activities of one of the oldest and most respected small, non-profit theater companies in the country.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Germantown Historical Society [Contact Us]
1882-1937
(Bulk: 1923-1937)
Creator:
Stafford, Giles Spranklin, 1856-
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Giles Spranklin Stafford (1856-) was a policeman, poet, and resident of the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Giles S. Stafford papers, 1882-1937, consist of manuscripts of poems, short stories, and historical essays, as well as correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Giles S. Stafford papers
creator
Stafford, Giles Spranklin, 1856-
id
GHS.17
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1882-1937
bulk date
1923-1937
abstract/scope/contents
Giles Spranklin Stafford (1856-) was a policeman, poet, and resident of the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Giles S. Stafford papers, 1882-1937, consist of manuscripts of poems, short stories, and historical essays, as well as correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »