Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 26  
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1855-1954
Extent: 1.63 linear feet
This collection focuses on one family’s multi-generational U.S. Naval service during the Civil War and World War II. Additionally, there is small but significant focus on one family member’s involvement with the 1876 Centennial Exhibition. (View full finding aid.)
title
Albert Family Papers.
creator
id
1987.43.1985.73.1986.107
repository
extent
1.63 linear feet
inclusive date
1855-1954
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection focuses on one family’s multi-generational U.S. Naval service during the Civil War and World War II. Additionally, there is small but significant focus on one family member’s involvement with the 1876 Centennial Exhibition.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1723-1875
(Bulk: 1778-1861)
Creator:
Barry, John, 1745-1803
Extent: 23 boxes
John Barry (1745-1803), often credited as the Father of the American Navy, served the Continental Navy and the United States Navy for seventeen years. He and his descendents, particularly his nephew Patrick Hayes and grand-nephew Patrick Barry Hayes, became prominent members of Philadelphia society, serving as seamen, merchants, businessmen and politicians. The Barry-Hayes papers are the business, political and personal papers of John Barry and of his family, especially Patrick Hayes and Patrick Barry Hayes. The collection includes correspondence, letterbooks, diaries, logbooks, legal and financial papers related to Barry’s career in the Navy, the business ventures of the Hayes, Keen and Somers families, and their personal lives. (View full finding aid.)
title
Barry-Hayes papers
creator
Barry, John, 1745-1803
id
ISM.1966.17
repository
extent
23 boxes
inclusive date
1723-1875
bulk date
1778-1861
abstract/scope/contents
John Barry (1745-1803), often credited as the Father of the American Navy, served the Continental Navy and the United States Navy for seventeen years. He and his descendents, particularly his nephew Patrick Hayes and grand-nephew Patrick Barry Hayes, became prominent members of Philadelphia society, serving as seamen, merchants, businessmen and politicians. The Barry-Hayes papers are the business, political and personal papers of John Barry and of his family, especially Patrick Hayes and Patrick Barry Hayes. The collection includes correspondence, letterbooks, diaries, logbooks, legal and financial papers related to Barry’s career in the Navy, the business ventures of the Hayes, Keen and Somers families, and their personal lives.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1832-1856 1816-1903
(Bulk: 1832-1856)
Creator:
Conner, Susan Dillwyn Physick, 1803-1856
Conner
Physick
Extent: 3 folders
Susan Dillwyn Physick was born on June 22, 1803, in Philadelphia, the second of four children. Her parents were Elizabeth Emlen, whose family was one of the wealthiest in Philadelphia, and Philip Syng Physick, the prominent physician. In 1824 she met naval Master-Commandant David Conner, and the two married on June 25, 1828. The Conner family papers consist primarily of 23 journals kept by Susan Dillwyn Physick Conner from 1832 to 1856. The collection also includes her unfinished autobiography with amendments by her son, a scrapbook, two notebooks, two journals by her son, one journal by Philip Conner’s wife, two letters (one by Mary Lewis, one by Philip Conner), three account books, two published books owned by Susan Physick Conner, and notes and drafts by Arthur Hale, Philip Conner’s son-in-law. (View full finding aid.)
title
Conner family papers
creator
Conner, Susan Dillwyn Physick, 1803-1856 Conner Physick
id
ISM.Conner
repository
extent
3 folders
inclusive date
Bulk, 1832-1856 1816-1903
bulk date
1832-1856
abstract/scope/contents
Susan Dillwyn Physick was born on June 22, 1803, in Philadelphia, the second of four children. Her parents were Elizabeth Emlen, whose family was one of the wealthiest in Philadelphia, and Philip Syng Physick, the prominent physician. In 1824 she met naval Master-Commandant David Conner, and the two married on June 25, 1828. The Conner family papers consist primarily of 23 journals kept by Susan Dillwyn Physick Conner from 1832 to 1856. The collection also includes her unfinished autobiography with amendments by her son, a scrapbook, two notebooks, two journals by her son, one journal by Philip Conner’s wife, two letters (one by Mary Lewis, one by Philip Conner), three account books, two published books owned by Susan Physick Conner, and notes and drafts by Arthur Hale, Philip Conner’s son-in-law.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1830-1995
(Bulk: 1860-1985)
Creator:
Clark, Edward O.
Extent: 16.73 linear feet
Edward O. Clark (1918-1994) was an avid marine historian and photographer who traveled across the country pursuing interesting vessels and ports of call, and documented the vanishing heritage of American steam navigation. This collection houses the personal papers and research materials of Edward O. Clark and contains four series: “I. Photographs, 1835-1995,” “II. Reference files, 1830-1994,” “III. Correspondence, 1943-1991,” and “IV. Index cards, undated.” This collection dates from 1830 to 1995, with bulk dates of 1860 to 1985, and consists of a variety of materials relating to the Delaware River steamship industry, especially the Wilson Line. Specifically, it includes photographic prints, admeasurements, advertisements, albums, clippings, contracts, receipts, catalogs, correspondence, chronologies, ship manifests, negatives, plans and drawings, writings, and other ephemera. This collection thoroughly documents the variety of Delaware River steamships, their operating lines, and routes during the 19th and 20th centuries – subjects central to Clark’s research interests. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edward O. Clark papers
creator
Clark, Edward O.
id
1993.57
repository
extent
16.73 linear feet
inclusive date
1830-1995
bulk date
1860-1985
abstract/scope/contents
Edward O. Clark (1918-1994) was an avid marine historian and photographer who traveled across the country pursuing interesting vessels and ports of call, and documented the vanishing heritage of American steam navigation. This collection houses the personal papers and research materials of Edward O. Clark and contains four series: “I. Photographs, 1835-1995,” “II. Reference files, 1830-1994,” “III. Correspondence, 1943-1991,” and “IV. Index cards, undated.” This collection dates from 1830 to 1995, with bulk dates of 1860 to 1985, and consists of a variety of materials relating to the Delaware River steamship industry, especially the Wilson Line. Specifically, it includes photographic prints, admeasurements, advertisements, albums, clippings, contracts, receipts, catalogs, correspondence, chronologies, ship manifests, negatives, plans and drawings, writings, and other ephemera. This collection thoroughly documents the variety of Delaware River steamships, their operating lines, and routes during the 19th and 20th centuries – subjects central to Clark’s research interests.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1889-1938
(Bulk: 1912-1938)
title
Elliston P. Morris family papers
creator
id
ISM.Morris
repository
extent
1 linear feet
inclusive date
1889-1938
bulk date
1912-1938
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1784-1947
(Bulk: 1884-1944)
Creator:
Sproule, George F., 1867-1928
Extent: 4.16 linear feet (3 boxes, 17 volumes)
George F. Sproule (1867-1928), known as an authority on the Port of Philadelphia, served on the Board of Port Wardens of Philadelphia from 1884 to 1907, as Secretary of the Board of Commissioners of Navigation for the Delaware River from 1907 to 1920, and as Director of Wharves, Docks and Ferries from 1920 to 1928. His son, Samuel Jackson Sproule served as Port Representative for the United States Shipping Administration, Recruitment and Manning Organization during World War II. This collection documents the professional life of George F. Sproule in the Philadelphia shipping and maritime industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the history of the Port of Philadelphia, and the World War II career of his son. The collection includes clippings, correspondence, appointment books, a scrapbook, business records, photographs, ephemera, and writings. The collection also includes a large number of maritime-related newspaper clipping volumes dating from 1891 to 1928. (View full finding aid.)
title
George Sproule papers
creator
Sproule, George F., 1867-1928
id
ISM.Sproule
repository
extent
4.16 linear feet (3 boxes, 17 volumes)
inclusive date
1784-1947
bulk date
1884-1944
abstract/scope/contents
George F. Sproule (1867-1928), known as an authority on the Port of Philadelphia, served on the Board of Port Wardens of Philadelphia from 1884 to 1907, as Secretary of the Board of Commissioners of Navigation for the Delaware River from 1907 to 1920, and as Director of Wharves, Docks and Ferries from 1920 to 1928. His son, Samuel Jackson Sproule served as Port Representative for the United States Shipping Administration, Recruitment and Manning Organization during World War II. This collection documents the professional life of George F. Sproule in the Philadelphia shipping and maritime industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the history of the Port of Philadelphia, and the World War II career of his son. The collection includes clippings, correspondence, appointment books, a scrapbook, business records, photographs, ephemera, and writings. The collection also includes a large number of maritime-related newspaper clipping volumes dating from 1891 to 1928.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1859-2009
(Bulk: 1900-2009)
Extent: 8.5 linear feet
The Pennsylvania Nautical School was formed in 1889 by the Pennsylvania State Legislature to meet the nation's demand for trained seamen. For 58 years cadets were instructed by U.S. Navy officers in the arts of navigation, marine engineering and seamanship to prepare them for careers in the maritime trades and professions. In 1942 the school was renamed the Pennsylvania Maritime Academy (based in Morrisville, Pennsylvania) and in 1947 the Academy closed. Between 1889 and 1947, close to 2000 cadets graduated from the program. Ships retired from the Navy were retrofitted into schoolships. The Nautical School taught aboard five different ships over its 58 year history: Sloop of War USS Saratoga (1889-1907); Screw Bark USS Adams (1907-1914); Gunboat USS Annapolis (1919-1942); Cutter Keystone State, ex USCG Seneca (1942-1946); and Attack Cargo Ship USS Keystone State II, ex. USS Selinur (1946-1947). In 1940 the Light Cruiser USS Omaha and the Ammunition Ship USS Pyro were hosts to Nautical School cadets. An early alumni association The Pennsylvania Nautical School Association was established around 1906. A later association, the Pennsylvania Schoolship Association, was formed in 1955 and publishes a newsletter, The Lookout. This is a collection of papers related to the Pennsylvania Nautical School and the Pennsylvania Schoolship Association, the Nautical School's alumni association. Files on cadets include: photographs; correspondence from cadets to their families and from the school to families; itineraries; grade sheets; programs; class journals; diplomas and certificates; and ephemera. Files on ships include: photographs, negatives, and drawings of the various ships used by the School. General school materials include: an 1889 prospectus for the school; course materials compiled by Commander C. W. Densmore, U.S.N., Retired on various aspects of nautical engineering; a run of the Nautical School’s yearbook The Helm (1924-1946); and newspaper clippings. Material related to the Pennsylvania Nautical School Association include: The Log of the Pennsylvania Nautical School Association and The Log of the American Merchant Training Ships (1912-1915) a publication of the Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York alumni associations; menus; and photographs. Pennsylvania Schoolship Association materials include: invitations and programs; memorials; alumni directories; anniversary booklets; and a run of the Association’s newsletters, The Lookout (1956-2006). (View full finding aid.)
title
Independence Seaport Museum collection of Pennsylvania Nautical School material
creator
id
ISM.PA Nautical
repository
extent
8.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1859-2009
bulk date
1900-2009
abstract/scope/contents
The Pennsylvania Nautical School was formed in 1889 by the Pennsylvania State Legislature to meet the nation's demand for trained seamen. For 58 years cadets were instructed by U.S. Navy officers in the arts of navigation, marine engineering and seamanship to prepare them for careers in the maritime trades and professions. In 1942 the school was renamed the Pennsylvania Maritime Academy (based in Morrisville, Pennsylvania) and in 1947 the Academy closed. Between 1889 and 1947, close to 2000 cadets graduated from the program. Ships retired from the Navy were retrofitted into schoolships. The Nautical School taught aboard five different ships over its 58 year history: Sloop of War USS Saratoga (1889-1907); Screw Bark USS Adams (1907-1914); Gunboat USS Annapolis (1919-1942); Cutter Keystone State, ex USCG Seneca (1942-1946); and Attack Cargo Ship USS Keystone State II, ex. USS Selinur (1946-1947). In 1940 the Light Cruiser USS Omaha and the Ammunition Ship USS Pyro were hosts to Nautical School cadets. An early alumni association The Pennsylvania Nautical School Association was established around 1906. A later association, the Pennsylvania Schoolship Association, was formed in 1955 and publishes a newsletter, The Lookout. This is a collection of papers related to the Pennsylvania Nautical School and the Pennsylvania Schoolship Association, the Nautical School's alumni association. Files on cadets include: photographs; correspondence from cadets to their families and from the school to families; itineraries; grade sheets; programs; class journals; diplomas and certificates; and ephemera. Files on ships include: photographs, negatives, and drawings of the various ships used by the School. General school materials include: an 1889 prospectus for the school; course materials compiled by Commander C. W. Densmore, U.S.N., Retired on various aspects of nautical engineering; a run of the Nautical School’s yearbook The Helm (1924-1946); and newspaper clippings. Material related to the Pennsylvania Nautical School Association include: The Log of the Pennsylvania Nautical School Association and The Log of the American Merchant Training Ships (1912-1915) a publication of the Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York alumni associations; menus; and photographs. Pennsylvania Schoolship Association materials include: invitations and programs; memorials; alumni directories; anniversary booklets; and a run of the Association’s newsletters, The Lookout (1956-2006).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1919-1964
Creator:
New York Shipbuilding Corporation.
Extent: 1.5 linear feet (4 containers, 1 volume)
The New York Shipbuilding Corporation (NYS) was founded in 1899 by Henry G. Morse (1850-1903), who served as the company’s first president. The company held significant government contracts during both World Wars, and built ships for the United States Navy, Coast Guard, and Emergency Fleet Corporation as well as the Department of Commerce and Labor. During the 1930s, the company built luxury ocean liners, such as the Manhattan and the Washington for the United States Lines, and also built ships for Pennsylvania Railroad, Reading Railroad, Standard Oil and American Export Lines. During its tenure, the New York Shipbuilding Corporation constructed over 500 ships. NYS completed its last ship in 1967 and went out of business shortly thereafter. The collection houses small caches of documentation relating to the history and operations of the New York Shipbuilding Corporation from 1919 to 1964. Of note, is an oversized scrapbook of newspaper clippings about the New York Shipbuilding Corporation and files containing information on specific ships. Ships covered are: The Nuclear Ship Savannah, USS Arkansas, USS Camden, USS Kitty Hawk, USS Truxtun and the USS Utah. (View full finding aid.)
title
Independence Seaport Museum collection on New York Shipbuilding Corporation
creator
New York Shipbuilding Corporation.
id
ISM.NYSB.ISM
repository
extent
1.5 linear feet (4 containers, 1 volume)
inclusive date
1919-1964
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The New York Shipbuilding Corporation (NYS) was founded in 1899 by Henry G. Morse (1850-1903), who served as the company’s first president. The company held significant government contracts during both World Wars, and built ships for the United States Navy, Coast Guard, and Emergency Fleet Corporation as well as the Department of Commerce and Labor. During the 1930s, the company built luxury ocean liners, such as the Manhattan and the Washington for the United States Lines, and also built ships for Pennsylvania Railroad, Reading Railroad, Standard Oil and American Export Lines. During its tenure, the New York Shipbuilding Corporation constructed over 500 ships. NYS completed its last ship in 1967 and went out of business shortly thereafter. The collection houses small caches of documentation relating to the history and operations of the New York Shipbuilding Corporation from 1919 to 1964. Of note, is an oversized scrapbook of newspaper clippings about the New York Shipbuilding Corporation and files containing information on specific ships. Ships covered are: The Nuclear Ship Savannah, USS Arkansas, USS Camden, USS Kitty Hawk, USS Truxtun and the USS Utah.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1865-2002, undated [bulk dates: 1900-1980]
Creator:
John E. Hand & Sons Company.
Extent: 26 linear feet
The John E. Hand & Sons Company was founded in Philadelphia in 1873. The Hand Company built navigational equipment for all varieties of floating vessels, and operated a chain of retail outlets with “service stations” in numerous port cities, including Baltimore and New Orleans, until 1956. Service stations sold Hand instruments as well as other nautical paraphernalia and provided compass adjusting services. The collection documents the business activities of the John E. Hand & Sons Company from its institution in 1873 to 1997, when the company was sold. The collection boasts a wide breadth of material that includes legal documents, financial records, patents, correspondence, contracts, reports, catalogs and other ephemera, photographs, and engineering plans. Together, the records provide a thorough account of the firm’s operations. (View full finding aid.)
title
John E. Hand & Sons Co. records
creator
John E. Hand & Sons Company.
id
ISM.2002.38
repository
extent
26 linear feet
inclusive date
1865-2002, undated [bulk dates: 1900-1980]
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The John E. Hand & Sons Company was founded in Philadelphia in 1873. The Hand Company built navigational equipment for all varieties of floating vessels, and operated a chain of retail outlets with “service stations” in numerous port cities, including Baltimore and New Orleans, until 1956. Service stations sold Hand instruments as well as other nautical paraphernalia and provided compass adjusting services. The collection documents the business activities of the John E. Hand & Sons Company from its institution in 1873 to 1997, when the company was sold. The collection boasts a wide breadth of material that includes legal documents, financial records, patents, correspondence, contracts, reports, catalogs and other ephemera, photographs, and engineering plans. Together, the records provide a thorough account of the firm’s operations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1919-1987
Creator:
John H. Mathis Co. (Camden, N.J.).
Extent: 195 linear feet (43 containers, 12 flat file drawers [includes 2,480-2,760 drawings])
Founded in 1870 by John H. Mathis and W.W. Reynolds, by the time of its 1913 incorporation, the John H. Mathis Company was an already established and well-represented shipbuilding firm in the maritime world. Located at Point and Erie Streets in Camden, New Jersey, the Mathis Company built and repaired yachts, river steamers, tugs, barges, car floats, ships and other varieties of floating vessels for private individuals and businesses as well as the Navy and Coast Guard. During World Wars I and II, a variety of ships were built, including minesweepers, transports, Coast Guard Cutters, and ferries. Of note, was the presidential yacht Sequoia, which was built by Mathis Yacht Building Company as a separate but allied venture at the Mathis shipyard in 1910. The Mathis Shipyard closed in 1961. The Mathis Shipyard was later used by the firm Camden Ship Repair. The John H. Mathis Company records, which date from 1919 to 1987, consists of business records, correspondence, photographs, measured drawings, design plans, and other records documenting the work of the shipbuilding firm. The majority of the material dates from 1930 to 1960. The collection is divided into four series: "Shipbuilding Records," "Photographs," "Index” and “Measured Drawings.” (View full finding aid.)
title
John H. Mathis Company records
creator
John H. Mathis Co. (Camden, N.J.).
id
ISM.Mathis
repository
extent
195 linear feet (43 containers, 12 flat file drawers [includes 2,480-2,760 drawings])
inclusive date
1919-1987
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in 1870 by John H. Mathis and W.W. Reynolds, by the time of its 1913 incorporation, the John H. Mathis Company was an already established and well-represented shipbuilding firm in the maritime world. Located at Point and Erie Streets in Camden, New Jersey, the Mathis Company built and repaired yachts, river steamers, tugs, barges, car floats, ships and other varieties of floating vessels for private individuals and businesses as well as the Navy and Coast Guard. During World Wars I and II, a variety of ships were built, including minesweepers, transports, Coast Guard Cutters, and ferries. Of note, was the presidential yacht Sequoia, which was built by Mathis Yacht Building Company as a separate but allied venture at the Mathis shipyard in 1910. The Mathis Shipyard closed in 1961. The Mathis Shipyard was later used by the firm Camden Ship Repair. The John H. Mathis Company records, which date from 1919 to 1987, consists of business records, correspondence, photographs, measured drawings, design plans, and other records documenting the work of the shipbuilding firm. The majority of the material dates from 1930 to 1960. The collection is divided into four series: "Shipbuilding Records," "Photographs," "Index” and “Measured Drawings.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1916-1972
(Bulk: 1916-1920)
Creator:
Keck, Marvin Rosefield, 1895-1971
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Marvin Rosefield Keck, (1895-1971) was a musician who served in World War I in Admiral Niblack’s Flagship Band of the Mediterranean Fleet on the Flagship Olympia. The Marvin Rosefield Keck papers, which date from 1916 to 1972, consists of newspaper clippings, correspondence, diaries, drawings, photographs, scrapbooks, and unpublished writings. The collection covers Keck's experience in World War I as a band member in the United States Navy aboard the U.S.S. Olympia and his experience in the American Legion band in South Dakota after World War I. (View full finding aid.)
title
Marvin Rosefield Keck papers
creator
Keck, Marvin Rosefield, 1895-1971
id
ISM.Keck
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1916-1972
bulk date
1916-1920
abstract/scope/contents
Marvin Rosefield Keck, (1895-1971) was a musician who served in World War I in Admiral Niblack’s Flagship Band of the Mediterranean Fleet on the Flagship Olympia. The Marvin Rosefield Keck papers, which date from 1916 to 1972, consists of newspaper clippings, correspondence, diaries, drawings, photographs, scrapbooks, and unpublished writings. The collection covers Keck's experience in World War I as a band member in the United States Navy aboard the U.S.S. Olympia and his experience in the American Legion band in South Dakota after World War I.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1750-1906
(Bulk: 1760-1830)
Creator:
Cuthbert
Ogden
Extent: 17 volumes
The Odgen and Cuthbert families joined when Anthony Cuthbert (1751-1832) married Mary Ogden (1770-1862) in 1799. Both families had strong connections to the rivers of Philadelphia. The Ogden and Cuthbert family papers consist largely of financial records (receipt, invoice and account books) of Joseph Ogden, his son George, and his son-in-law Anthony Cuthbert. (View full finding aid.)
title
Ogden and Cuthbert family papers
creator
Cuthbert Ogden
id
ISM.Ogden
repository
extent
17 volumes
inclusive date
1750-1906
bulk date
1760-1830
abstract/scope/contents
The Odgen and Cuthbert families joined when Anthony Cuthbert (1751-1832) married Mary Ogden (1770-1862) in 1799. Both families had strong connections to the rivers of Philadelphia. The Ogden and Cuthbert family papers consist largely of financial records (receipt, invoice and account books) of Joseph Ogden, his son George, and his son-in-law Anthony Cuthbert.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1891-1960
Creator:
New York Shipbuilding Corporation.
Pennsylvania Railroad.
Pusey & Jones Corporation.
RTC Shipbuilding Co. (Camden, N.J.).
William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Co .
Extent: 45.33 linear feet
The Pennsylvania Railroad, which was headquartered in Philadelphia, transported people and goods, and was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the United States throughout its 20th century existence. At its peak, it controlled about 10,000 miles of rail line and it was at one time the largest publicly traded corporateion in the world. The Pennsylvania Railroad, also known as "Pennsy," operated from 1846 to 1968, when it merged with New York Central to form Penn Central Railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad records date from 1891 to 1960 and contain 861 naval architectural designs and plans of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s body of floating equipment, which consisted of steamers, tugboats, ferryboats, carfloats, and barges. The collection also contains designs and plans of cranes and transfer bridges as well as a small number of dock, freight facility, and shipyard maps in the Philadelphia and Camden vicinity. (View full finding aid.)
title
Pennsylvania Railroad records
creator
New York Shipbuilding Corporation. Pennsylvania Railroad. Pusey & Jones Corporation. RTC Shipbuilding Co. (Camden, N.J.). William Cramp & Sons Ship and Engine Building Co .
id
ISM.PRR
repository
extent
45.33 linear feet
inclusive date
1891-1960
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Pennsylvania Railroad, which was headquartered in Philadelphia, transported people and goods, and was the largest railroad by traffic and revenue in the United States throughout its 20th century existence. At its peak, it controlled about 10,000 miles of rail line and it was at one time the largest publicly traded corporateion in the world. The Pennsylvania Railroad, also known as "Pennsy," operated from 1846 to 1968, when it merged with New York Central to form Penn Central Railroad. The Pennsylvania Railroad records date from 1891 to 1960 and contain 861 naval architectural designs and plans of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s body of floating equipment, which consisted of steamers, tugboats, ferryboats, carfloats, and barges. The collection also contains designs and plans of cranes and transfer bridges as well as a small number of dock, freight facility, and shipyard maps in the Philadelphia and Camden vicinity.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1870-1967
title
Philadelphia Maritime Exchange Records
creator
id
1973.2
repository
extent
100 linear feet
inclusive date
1870-1967
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1859-1998
Extent: 8.9 linear feet
The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, formerly known as the Navy Yard, was the first naval shipyard in the United States. The original site of the shipyard (Federal Yard) was located on Federal Street along the Delaware River, but the facility was eventually moved due to overcrowded conditions and increasing urban development. The new location at League Island was acquired by the Federal Government in the 1860s, while the old location at Federal Yard continued to operate until 1876. During the Spanish-American War and the years leading up to World War I, the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard rapidly transformed into a major production facility, and the first Naval ship, the U.S.S. Henderson, was commissioned in 1917. During World War II the shipyard built 53 ships and conducted repairs, conversions, and overhauls of 1,218 other vessels. Throughout the 20th century, the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard actively completed repairs, constructions, and conversions; developed new materials and methods; and built special equipment for Navy ships. The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard collection houses personnel records and memorabilia related to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. This collection, which dates from 1859 to 1998, with the bulk of materials dating from 1914 to 1998, consists of a variety of materials, including photographic prints, handbooks, manuals, printed volumes, schedules, lists of wages, notebooks, booklets, registers, ships plans, clippings, and other ephemera. These materials document various aspects of the Apprentice Training Program (including job-specific technical requirements) and daily shipyard activities such as ship repairs and construction. The celebrations of significant events such as Navy Day, Armed Forces Day, ship launchings, and retirement parties are also documented. This collection thus documents the activities of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, concentrating mostly on the period between 1950 and 1990. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Naval Shipyard collection
creator
id
95.116
repository
extent
8.9 linear feet
inclusive date
1859-1998
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, formerly known as the Navy Yard, was the first naval shipyard in the United States. The original site of the shipyard (Federal Yard) was located on Federal Street along the Delaware River, but the facility was eventually moved due to overcrowded conditions and increasing urban development. The new location at League Island was acquired by the Federal Government in the 1860s, while the old location at Federal Yard continued to operate until 1876. During the Spanish-American War and the years leading up to World War I, the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard rapidly transformed into a major production facility, and the first Naval ship, the U.S.S. Henderson, was commissioned in 1917. During World War II the shipyard built 53 ships and conducted repairs, conversions, and overhauls of 1,218 other vessels. Throughout the 20th century, the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard actively completed repairs, constructions, and conversions; developed new materials and methods; and built special equipment for Navy ships. The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard collection houses personnel records and memorabilia related to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. This collection, which dates from 1859 to 1998, with the bulk of materials dating from 1914 to 1998, consists of a variety of materials, including photographic prints, handbooks, manuals, printed volumes, schedules, lists of wages, notebooks, booklets, registers, ships plans, clippings, and other ephemera. These materials document various aspects of the Apprentice Training Program (including job-specific technical requirements) and daily shipyard activities such as ship repairs and construction. The celebrations of significant events such as Navy Day, Armed Forces Day, ship launchings, and retirement parties are also documented. This collection thus documents the activities of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, concentrating mostly on the period between 1950 and 1990.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1935-1967
Creator:
Pollack, Lydia A., Collector
Extent: 0.75 linear feet (2 containers)
The Pollack collection of ocean liner ephemera (1935-1967) consists of menus, brochures, postcards, souvenir programs, deck plans, ship passenger lists, ocean liner newspapers, newspaper clippings, and luggage stamps from numerous ocean liners. The collection documents the many travels of Robert L. and Lydia A. Pollack on ocean liners including the French Lines, the Cunard Line, and the United States Lines. (View full finding aid.)
title
Pollack collection of Ocean Liner ephemera
creator
Pollack, Lydia A., Collector
id
ISM.Pollack
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet (2 containers)
inclusive date
1935-1967
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Pollack collection of ocean liner ephemera (1935-1967) consists of menus, brochures, postcards, souvenir programs, deck plans, ship passenger lists, ocean liner newspapers, newspaper clippings, and luggage stamps from numerous ocean liners. The collection documents the many travels of Robert L. and Lydia A. Pollack on ocean liners including the French Lines, the Cunard Line, and the United States Lines.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1861-1936
Creator:
Red D Line.
Extent: 1.66 linear feet (12 volumes)
The Red D Line was the main transportation link between the United States and Venezuela from 1820 to 1936. The line took its trade name from the red D on its white flag, which stood for the line's founder, John Dallett, a Philadelphia merchant. Dallett travelled to Venezuela in 1823, where he went into business with the influential Venezuelan merchant, John Boulton. Dallett returned to Philadelphia and set up a business shipping cargoes to Boulton, and in 1838 began chartering sailing vessels to carry his merchandise. The Red D Line records house a sampling of business and financial records of the shipping line from 1861 to 1936. There are twelve volumes. (View full finding aid.)
title
Red D Line records
creator
Red D Line.
id
ISM.Red D
repository
extent
1.66 linear feet (12 volumes)
inclusive date
1861-1936
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Red D Line was the main transportation link between the United States and Venezuela from 1820 to 1936. The line took its trade name from the red D on its white flag, which stood for the line's founder, John Dallett, a Philadelphia merchant. Dallett travelled to Venezuela in 1823, where he went into business with the influential Venezuelan merchant, John Boulton. Dallett returned to Philadelphia and set up a business shipping cargoes to Boulton, and in 1838 began chartering sailing vessels to carry his merchandise. The Red D Line records house a sampling of business and financial records of the shipping line from 1861 to 1936. There are twelve volumes.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1887-1929
Creator:
Riggs & Brother Company.
Extent: 5 boxes
Riggs and Brother, a Philadelphia chronometer and nautical instrument manufacture and import company, was founded in 1818 by William H. C. Riggs. The business records of the company include cash books, invoice books, day books, inventories and correspondence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Riggs & Brother Company records
creator
Riggs & Brother Company.
id
ISM.Riggs
repository
extent
5 boxes
inclusive date
1887-1929
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Riggs and Brother, a Philadelphia chronometer and nautical instrument manufacture and import company, was founded in 1818 by William H. C. Riggs. The business records of the company include cash books, invoice books, day books, inventories and correspondence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1921-1965
Creator:
RTC Shipbuilding Co. (Camden, N.J.).
Extent: 8.8 linear feet (21 containers)
In 1940, Leroy M. Robinson (President), George R. Taylor (Vice-president), and John P. Carson (Secretary and Treasurer) formed RTC Shipbuilding Company in Camden, New Jersey. Their initials are the basis for the name of the company. All three men were former executives at J. H. Mathis Company. Subsequent to the death of Robinson and the retirement of Taylor in 1946, Carson became the firm's president and assumed sole ownership. The RTC Shipbuilding Company records evidence the shipbuilding and repairs conducted by this company from 1934 to 1965. The collection also includes an impressive photographic documentation of the daily work performed on the RTC Shipyard. Heavily involved in ships designed for the Navy in World War II, as well as in building fishing vessels in subsequent years, one of the strengths of this collection lies in the hundreds of records found in the “Shipbuilding records” series. The “Photographs” series is also a strength of the collection, with many images of RTC ships under construction on the worksite and on the water. Additional series, “Business records,” and “Printed materials,” can also be found in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
RTC Shipbuilding Company records
creator
RTC Shipbuilding Co. (Camden, N.J.).
id
ISM.RTC
repository
extent
8.8 linear feet (21 containers)
inclusive date
1921-1965
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1940, Leroy M. Robinson (President), George R. Taylor (Vice-president), and John P. Carson (Secretary and Treasurer) formed RTC Shipbuilding Company in Camden, New Jersey. Their initials are the basis for the name of the company. All three men were former executives at J. H. Mathis Company. Subsequent to the death of Robinson and the retirement of Taylor in 1946, Carson became the firm's president and assumed sole ownership. The RTC Shipbuilding Company records evidence the shipbuilding and repairs conducted by this company from 1934 to 1965. The collection also includes an impressive photographic documentation of the daily work performed on the RTC Shipyard. Heavily involved in ships designed for the Navy in World War II, as well as in building fishing vessels in subsequent years, one of the strengths of this collection lies in the hundreds of records found in the “Shipbuilding records” series. The “Photographs” series is also a strength of the collection, with many images of RTC ships under construction on the worksite and on the water. Additional series, “Business records,” and “Printed materials,” can also be found in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1859-2009
Creator:
Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia.
Extent: 50 linear feet (121 containers)
The Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia was founded in 1858. It is the oldest amateur athletic governing body in the United States. By charter, "[the Schuylkill Navy’s] object is to secure united action among the several Clubs and to promote amateurism on the Schuylkill River." The Schuylkill Navy records documents the history of this rowing organization from 1859 to 2009. An organization dedicated to hosting rowing events for its member clubs and visiting teams, the collection houses the administrative records of the Schuylkill Navy and its member clubs, including the original founding members as well as clubs that joined the organization later; and records related to the planning and promotion of regattas. In addition, the collection includes an extensive assortment of newspaper clippings and photographs that highlight Schuylkill Navy rowing events and its influential members. The collection contains administrative records, information regarding regattas and member rowing clubs, publications, scrapbooks and clippings, photographs, non-rowing records, and information regarding other rowing organizations. (View full finding aid.)
title
Schuylkill Navy records
creator
Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia.
id
ISM.Schuylkill.Navy
repository
extent
50 linear feet (121 containers)
inclusive date
1859-2009
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia was founded in 1858. It is the oldest amateur athletic governing body in the United States. By charter, "[the Schuylkill Navy’s] object is to secure united action among the several Clubs and to promote amateurism on the Schuylkill River." The Schuylkill Navy records documents the history of this rowing organization from 1859 to 2009. An organization dedicated to hosting rowing events for its member clubs and visiting teams, the collection houses the administrative records of the Schuylkill Navy and its member clubs, including the original founding members as well as clubs that joined the organization later; and records related to the planning and promotion of regattas. In addition, the collection includes an extensive assortment of newspaper clippings and photographs that highlight Schuylkill Navy rowing events and its influential members. The collection contains administrative records, information regarding regattas and member rowing clubs, publications, scrapbooks and clippings, photographs, non-rowing records, and information regarding other rowing organizations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1828-2000
(Bulk: 1919-1998)
Extent: 55 linear feet (149 boxes, 30 volumes, 6 flat file folders)
Seamen's Church Institute (SCI) was founded in Philadelphia in 1919 to care for the moral, spiritual, mental and bodily welfare of seamen, and to generally better the conditions surrounding and affecting "men of the sea." It joined ranks with similar organizations that had established a long tradition assisting the merchant marine, going back to the first decade of the nineteenth century when the Bible Society of Philadelphia singled out seamen as important beneficiaries of their work. Over one hundred years later, and in a considerably more ambitious manner than this earliest precursor, SCI set to work providing clean and affordable housing, affordable food, morally sound entertainment, banking, religious services and employment assistance to seamen while in the Port of Philadelphia. The Seamen's Church Institute Records document the business activities of the Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI) in Philadelphia from 1919 to 2000. The collection boasts a wide breadth of textual documentation that includes meeting minutes, publications and ephemera, financial records, correspondence and subject files, seamen's records and study materials for seamen's licensing exams. In addition, there are small numbers of photographs, multimedia and blueprints. Together, the records offer a complete representation of the agency and its affiliates from its founding to the late 1990s. The collection also houses records created by SCI’s predecessors, the Churchmen's Missionary Association for Seamen and the Pennsylvania Seamen's Friend Society, from 1843 to 1923. Two additional Philadelphia-based seamen's organizations represented are Maskline Clark Mariner's Home and the Norwegian Seamen's Church. (View full finding aid.)
title
Seamen's Church Institute records.
creator
id
ISM.Seamans Church
repository
extent
55 linear feet (149 boxes, 30 volumes, 6 flat file folders)
inclusive date
1828-2000
bulk date
1919-1998
abstract/scope/contents
Seamen's Church Institute (SCI) was founded in Philadelphia in 1919 to care for the moral, spiritual, mental and bodily welfare of seamen, and to generally better the conditions surrounding and affecting "men of the sea." It joined ranks with similar organizations that had established a long tradition assisting the merchant marine, going back to the first decade of the nineteenth century when the Bible Society of Philadelphia singled out seamen as important beneficiaries of their work. Over one hundred years later, and in a considerably more ambitious manner than this earliest precursor, SCI set to work providing clean and affordable housing, affordable food, morally sound entertainment, banking, religious services and employment assistance to seamen while in the Port of Philadelphia. The Seamen's Church Institute Records document the business activities of the Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI) in Philadelphia from 1919 to 2000. The collection boasts a wide breadth of textual documentation that includes meeting minutes, publications and ephemera, financial records, correspondence and subject files, seamen's records and study materials for seamen's licensing exams. In addition, there are small numbers of photographs, multimedia and blueprints. Together, the records offer a complete representation of the agency and its affiliates from its founding to the late 1990s. The collection also houses records created by SCI’s predecessors, the Churchmen's Missionary Association for Seamen and the Pennsylvania Seamen's Friend Society, from 1843 to 1923. Two additional Philadelphia-based seamen's organizations represented are Maskline Clark Mariner's Home and the Norwegian Seamen's Church.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1916-1998
Creator:
Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company.
Extent: 26 linear feet
Established in 1916, the Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company produced hundreds of ships (primarily tankers and cargo ships) for other companies as well as its own. These included private parties, other oil companies, and, particularly during World War II, the United States Maritime Commission. During World War II, the National Defense Program helped make the Sun shipyard one of the world's biggest producers of oil tankers, with more than 35,000 people working in the shipyard. The yard built more than 250 tankers for the war effort and repaired more than 1,500 ships that were damaged during the conflicts. The company also developed many new building technologies and became known for its use of "All-Welded Construction." The Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company records date from 1916 to 1998 and document the design, construction, and launching of ships built by the organization; the history and promotion of the company; and also the administration of the organization through the perspective of its employees. These records include photographs, ships plans, ephemera, books, periodicals, clippings, and other materials, including records from the personal collections of Merville E. Willis and George S. Blair. The collection is divided into four series: “I. Administrative records, 1924-1981,” “II. Publications, 1930s-1980s,” “III. Ships plans and technical drawings, 1916-1980,” and “IV. Photographs, 1917-1998.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company records
creator
Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company.
id
84.76
repository
extent
26 linear feet
inclusive date
1916-1998
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Established in 1916, the Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company produced hundreds of ships (primarily tankers and cargo ships) for other companies as well as its own. These included private parties, other oil companies, and, particularly during World War II, the United States Maritime Commission. During World War II, the National Defense Program helped make the Sun shipyard one of the world's biggest producers of oil tankers, with more than 35,000 people working in the shipyard. The yard built more than 250 tankers for the war effort and repaired more than 1,500 ships that were damaged during the conflicts. The company also developed many new building technologies and became known for its use of "All-Welded Construction." The Sun Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company records date from 1916 to 1998 and document the design, construction, and launching of ships built by the organization; the history and promotion of the company; and also the administration of the organization through the perspective of its employees. These records include photographs, ships plans, ephemera, books, periodicals, clippings, and other materials, including records from the personal collections of Merville E. Willis and George S. Blair. The collection is divided into four series: “I. Administrative records, 1924-1981,” “II. Publications, 1930s-1980s,” “III. Ships plans and technical drawings, 1916-1980,” and “IV. Photographs, 1917-1998.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1892-1986
Creator:
Thayer
Extent: 10 boxes
The Thayers were a prominent Philadelphia-area family at the turn of the 20th century. John Borland Thayer, Jr. was a vice-president of the Pennsylvania Railroad when he died in the sinking of Titanic on April 15, 1912. The Thayer family collection consists of more than 700 items of ocean liner ephemera dating from 1892 to 1986, including postcards, abstracts of logs, advertisements, passenger lists, menus, deck plans, photographs, stationery and baggage tags from ships of more than 40 lines. The collection also includes one of the only extant first class passenger lists from Titanic. (View full finding aid.)
title
Thayer family collection
creator
Thayer
id
ISM.1989.033
repository
extent
10 boxes
inclusive date
1892-1986
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Thayers were a prominent Philadelphia-area family at the turn of the 20th century. John Borland Thayer, Jr. was a vice-president of the Pennsylvania Railroad when he died in the sinking of Titanic on April 15, 1912. The Thayer family collection consists of more than 700 items of ocean liner ephemera dating from 1892 to 1986, including postcards, abstracts of logs, advertisements, passenger lists, menus, deck plans, photographs, stationery and baggage tags from ships of more than 40 lines. The collection also includes one of the only extant first class passenger lists from Titanic.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1904-1980
Creator:
Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates.
Extent: 129.5 linear feet (95 containers [includes approximately 5764 rolled plans])
In 1905, Thomas D. Bowes (1883-1965) founded the naval architecture firm of Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates Inc. From 1905 to 1965, the Bowes firm functioned as part of a large network of ship design and building companies along Philadelphia’s Delaware River waterfront, which included the John H. Mathis Company, which built many of Bowes’ designs, and RTC Shipbuilding Company. Bowes designed vessels of all sizes, from small sail boats to 300 foot barges; and for all purposes, receiving contracts for leisure, business and military vessels. More specifically, Bowes designed over eighty tugboats, several of Philadelphia’s fireboats and over 300 yachts, which were mostly commuter and houseboat yachts. He also designed and patented the Bowes Drive, an electric device for the reduction of speed between the engine and drive shafts in marine installations. Overall, “Tugboat Tom,” as he was known, designed over 800 vessel plans. The Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates records, 1904-1980, consists of ships' plans and records created by that naval architecture firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Materials in the collection include the business records of Bowes’ firm, design plans and measured drawings of Bowes’ vessels, and some personal papers. There are four series in this collection: “Corporate Records,” “Personal Papers,” “Design Plan records” and “Measured drawings.” (View full finding aid.)
title
Thomas D. Bowes M.E., Associates records
creator
Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates.
id
ISM.Bowes
repository
extent
129.5 linear feet (95 containers [includes approximately 5764 rolled plans])
inclusive date
1904-1980
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
In 1905, Thomas D. Bowes (1883-1965) founded the naval architecture firm of Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates Inc. From 1905 to 1965, the Bowes firm functioned as part of a large network of ship design and building companies along Philadelphia’s Delaware River waterfront, which included the John H. Mathis Company, which built many of Bowes’ designs, and RTC Shipbuilding Company. Bowes designed vessels of all sizes, from small sail boats to 300 foot barges; and for all purposes, receiving contracts for leisure, business and military vessels. More specifically, Bowes designed over eighty tugboats, several of Philadelphia’s fireboats and over 300 yachts, which were mostly commuter and houseboat yachts. He also designed and patented the Bowes Drive, an electric device for the reduction of speed between the engine and drive shafts in marine installations. Overall, “Tugboat Tom,” as he was known, designed over 800 vessel plans. The Thomas D. Bowes, M.E., Associates records, 1904-1980, consists of ships' plans and records created by that naval architecture firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Materials in the collection include the business records of Bowes’ firm, design plans and measured drawings of Bowes’ vessels, and some personal papers. There are four series in this collection: “Corporate Records,” “Personal Papers,” “Design Plan records” and “Measured drawings.”
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Independence Seaport Museum, J. Welles Henderson Archives and Library [Contact Us]
1856-1986
Creator:
Undine Barge Club of Philadelphia.
Extent: 35 linear feet
The Undine Barge Club records documents the history of this rowing organization from 1856 to 1986. Included in the collection are annual records on membership participation, correspondence, files regarding stewdarship of Castle Ringstetten, and scrapbooks documenting significant Undine Barge Club events. Researchers interested in the history of this organization, or on the history of activity on the Schuylkill River would find this collection useful. (View full finding aid.)
title
Undine Barge Club records
creator
Undine Barge Club of Philadelphia.
id
ISM.Undine
repository
extent
35 linear feet
inclusive date
1856-1986
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Undine Barge Club records documents the history of this rowing organization from 1856 to 1986. Included in the collection are annual records on membership participation, correspondence, files regarding stewdarship of Castle Ringstetten, and scrapbooks documenting significant Undine Barge Club events. Researchers interested in the history of this organization, or on the history of activity on the Schuylkill River would find this collection useful.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »