Search Finding Aids
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Names filters: 2 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Creator filters: 2 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Subject: Corporate name filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Civil War Library and Museum (Philadelphia, Pa.).
Extent: 26.1 linear feet
The Civil War Museum of Philadelphia was chartered in Philadelphia in 1888 with the goals of “the collection, preservation and maintenance of a free library, more particularly upon military and naval subjects relating to the War of the Rebellion in the United States of America, the formation of a museum of implements, relics and muniments of war, and the erection and maintenance of a building for lectures and meetings.” Rutherford B. Hayes served as the Museum’s first president. The Museum was housed in various rented spaces until 1922, when it was moved to 1805 Pine Street. In 2008, the Museum was closed to prepare for a new building, originally intended to open in 2014. The Civil War Museum of Philadelphia records date from 1886 to 2006. The collection consists of institutional records, including general correspondence, financial records, and minute books; administrative records associated with the Board of Governors, the museum registrar, and exhibition planning; educational multimedia materials; and scrapbooks, clippings, and other ephemera. The collection documents the administration and activities of the Civil War Museum of Philadelphia. This collection could prove valuable for researchers interested in the museum itself, as well as for those interested in the history of museum administration in the Philadelphia area. Bibliography Charter and By-Laws of the War Library and Museum of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the U.S. Civil War Museum of Philadelphia records, Union League of Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States..
Extent: 155.5 linear feet
In response to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States (MOLLUS) was founded on April 15, 1865, in Philadelphia by Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Brown Wylie Mitchell, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Ellwood Zell and Captain Peter Dirck Keyser. The object of MOLLUS was and is “to cherish the memories and associations of the war waged in defense of the unity and indivisibility of the Republic; to strengthen the ties of fraternal friendship and sympathy formed from companionship-in-arms; to advance the best interests of the soldiers and sailors of the United States, especially of those associated as members of this Order, and to extend all possible relief to their widows and children; to foster the cultivation of Military and Naval Science; to enforce unqualified allegiance to the General Government; to protect the rights and liberties of American citizenship, and to maintain National Honor, Union and Independence.” The MOLLUS collection dates from 1857 to 2012. The majority of the collection consists of record books, meeting records, scrapbooks, correspondence, financial records, registers, published addresses, membership records, photograph books, photographs of members, and songbooks. The collection documents the administration and membership of MOLLUS since its creation, focusing primarily on the Commandery-in-chief and the Pennsylvania commandery, but also covering other states, as well as the sister organization Dames of the Loyal Legion of the United States (DOLLUS). Bibliography Commandery-in-Chief, Register Book, 1906, Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States Records, The Union League of Philadelphia. Commandery-in-Chief, Constitution and Bylaws Booklet, 1865, MOLLUS Records. Commandery-in-Chief, Constitution and Bylaws Booklet, 1881, MOLLUS Records. (View full finding aid.)