Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 6 out of 6  
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1908-1963
Extent: 0.5 linear feet (11 folders and 2 oversized items)
Dearnley Brothers Worsted and Spinning Company was owned by John H. Dearnley, the son of a British wool merchant, and produced worsted and woolen yarns during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The company was eventually passed on to Dearnley’s son, Charles E. Dearnley, who created the Dearnley Top Company, Incorporated in 1946. This collection contains the companies’ business records and personal papers of Charles E. Dearnley. This collection dates from 1908 to 1963, and consists of ledgers, appraisal documents, financial records, and photographs detailing the companies’ creations and dissolutions, production, and legal affairs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Dearnley Brothers Worsted Spinning Company and Dearnley Top Company records
creator
id
MsC.82.2.d.t
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet (11 folders and 2 oversized items)
inclusive date
1908-1963
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dearnley Brothers Worsted and Spinning Company was owned by John H. Dearnley, the son of a British wool merchant, and produced worsted and woolen yarns during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The company was eventually passed on to Dearnley’s son, Charles E. Dearnley, who created the Dearnley Top Company, Incorporated in 1946. This collection contains the companies’ business records and personal papers of Charles E. Dearnley. This collection dates from 1908 to 1963, and consists of ledgers, appraisal documents, financial records, and photographs detailing the companies’ creations and dissolutions, production, and legal affairs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1940-1999
(Bulk: 1970-1989)
Creator:
Fortess, Fred
Extent: 82.5 linear feet
Fred Fortess was an authority on the use of fabrics in clothing and a long-time professor at the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science (now Philadelphia University). He worked at the Celanese Fibers Marketing Company for 31 years before joining the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science in 1973 as Director of Apparel Research and head of its School of Textiles. He served as President of the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC) as well as on numerous other committees. He received the Medal of Honor of the Southern Burn Institute for contributions to fire safety and the Harold DeWitt Smith Award of the American Society of Testing and Materials. Fortess died in Philadelphia in 1991. The Fred Fortess papers house the administrative and research materials of Fred Fortess, and dates from 1940 to 1999, with the bulk of the collection dating from the 1970s and 1980s. It consists of a variety of research materials relating to the manufacture, care, and evaluation of fibers and fabrics, as well as administrative and educational records from Fortess’ appointment at the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science. This collection is unique in showcasing both the career and scientific contributions of Fred Fortess as well as the evolution of the textile industry and the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science over the course of several decades. (View full finding aid.)
title
Fred Fortess papers
creator
Fortess, Fred
id
PhilaU.1
repository
extent
82.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1940-1999
bulk date
1970-1989
abstract/scope/contents
Fred Fortess was an authority on the use of fabrics in clothing and a long-time professor at the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science (now Philadelphia University). He worked at the Celanese Fibers Marketing Company for 31 years before joining the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science in 1973 as Director of Apparel Research and head of its School of Textiles. He served as President of the American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists (AATCC) as well as on numerous other committees. He received the Medal of Honor of the Southern Burn Institute for contributions to fire safety and the Harold DeWitt Smith Award of the American Society of Testing and Materials. Fortess died in Philadelphia in 1991. The Fred Fortess papers house the administrative and research materials of Fred Fortess, and dates from 1940 to 1999, with the bulk of the collection dating from the 1970s and 1980s. It consists of a variety of research materials relating to the manufacture, care, and evaluation of fibers and fabrics, as well as administrative and educational records from Fortess’ appointment at the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science. This collection is unique in showcasing both the career and scientific contributions of Fred Fortess as well as the evolution of the textile industry and the Philadelphia College of Textiles and Science over the course of several decades.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1931-1957
Extent: 6 linear feet
The Hugh Nelson, Incorporated (Columbia Carpet Mills) company was one of the oldest surviving carpet manufacturers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hugh Nelson owned the company until his son-in-law, Edward M. Schmauder became owner and president. Schmauder ran the company for 28 years before selling it in 1978. The carpet mill finally closed in 1983. The Hugh Nelson, Incorporated (Columbia Carpet Mills) records date from 1931 to 1957, with bulk dates from 1941 to 1957. This collection is mostly made up of correspondence between Hugh Nelson, Incorporated and vendors with which it did most of its business, especially from 1955 to 1957. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hugh Nelson, Incorporated (Columbia Carpet Mills) records
creator
id
MsC.840.n
repository
extent
6 linear feet
inclusive date
1931-1957
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hugh Nelson, Incorporated (Columbia Carpet Mills) company was one of the oldest surviving carpet manufacturers in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Hugh Nelson owned the company until his son-in-law, Edward M. Schmauder became owner and president. Schmauder ran the company for 28 years before selling it in 1978. The carpet mill finally closed in 1983. The Hugh Nelson, Incorporated (Columbia Carpet Mills) records date from 1931 to 1957, with bulk dates from 1941 to 1957. This collection is mostly made up of correspondence between Hugh Nelson, Incorporated and vendors with which it did most of its business, especially from 1955 to 1957.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1930-1946
Extent: 0.75 linear feet (4 volumes)
Joseph R. Foster and Sons was a Philadelphia dyeing and finishing yarn company, specializing in worsted and wool yarns. The Joseph R. Foster and Sons records houses four ledger books detailing 16 years of the company’s business records between 1930 and 1946. (View full finding aid.)
title
Joseph R. Foster and Sons records
creator
id
MsC.835.f
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet (4 volumes)
inclusive date
1930-1946
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Joseph R. Foster and Sons was a Philadelphia dyeing and finishing yarn company, specializing in worsted and wool yarns. The Joseph R. Foster and Sons records houses four ledger books detailing 16 years of the company’s business records between 1930 and 1946.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1893-1967
Extent: 5.5 linear feet
At the 1876 Centennial Exposition, local textile manufacturers noticed that Philadelphia's textile industry was falling behind its rivals' capacity, technology, and ability. In 1880, they formed the Philadelphia Association of Manufacturers of Textile Fabrics, with Theodore C. Search as its president, to fight for higher tariffs on imported textiles and to educate local textile leaders. In early 1884, Search taught the first classes of the Philadelphia Textile School to five students at 1336 Spring Garden Street. The school was officially opened on November 5, 1884. The Philadelphia University early institutional records house the papers of Philadelphia University from its inception and through its early years. The collection dates from 1893 to 1967, with bulk dates of 1916 to 1941. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia University early institutional records
creator
id
PhilaU.2
repository
extent
5.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1893-1967
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
At the 1876 Centennial Exposition, local textile manufacturers noticed that Philadelphia's textile industry was falling behind its rivals' capacity, technology, and ability. In 1880, they formed the Philadelphia Association of Manufacturers of Textile Fabrics, with Theodore C. Search as its president, to fight for higher tariffs on imported textiles and to educate local textile leaders. In early 1884, Search taught the first classes of the Philadelphia Textile School to five students at 1336 Spring Garden Street. The school was officially opened on November 5, 1884. The Philadelphia University early institutional records house the papers of Philadelphia University from its inception and through its early years. The collection dates from 1893 to 1967, with bulk dates of 1916 to 1941.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia University: Paul J. Gutman Library, Special Collections [Contact Us]
1921-1977
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Henry Whitaker had founded the firm of Whitaker and Sons in Rochdale, England, in 1796. He visited the United States in 1807 and returned in 1809 to relocate the business to Hudson, N.Y. In 1813 he again relocated to Philadelphia, where he established the Cedar Grove Mills on Tacony Creek. The William Whitaker and Sons, Incorporated records house a small portion of the records of the company. The collection dates from 1921-1977, with bulk dates of 1930 to 1964. This collection consists mostly of financial reports, graphs, and a map of the Cedar Grove Mills. (View full finding aid.)
title
William Whitaker And Sons, Incorporated records
creator
id
MsC.82.w
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1921-1977
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Henry Whitaker had founded the firm of Whitaker and Sons in Rochdale, England, in 1796. He visited the United States in 1807 and returned in 1809 to relocate the business to Hudson, N.Y. In 1813 he again relocated to Philadelphia, where he established the Cedar Grove Mills on Tacony Creek. The William Whitaker and Sons, Incorporated records house a small portion of the records of the company. The collection dates from 1921-1977, with bulk dates of 1930 to 1964. This collection consists mostly of financial reports, graphs, and a map of the Cedar Grove Mills.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »