Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute
Remove
filtered Date: 1950-2000
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 9 out of 9  
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1909-1956
Creator:
Armstrong, Edwin H. (Edwin Howard), 1890-1954
Extent: 4.35 linear feet
Edwin H. Armstrong (1890-1954) was an American electrical engineer and inventor, best known for inventing the regenerative circuit, the super-regenerative circuit, the superheterodyne receiver, and FM (frequency modulation) radio. He spent much of his life battling in court over his patent rights, primarily with Lee De Forest and Radio Corporation of America, and took his own life in 1954. Edwin H. Armstrong papers, 1909-1956, consist of photographs, lecture notes, letters, certificates, published materials, programs and ephemera, materials from his memorial service, and other documents. (View full finding aid.)
title
Edwin H. Armstrong papers
creator
Armstrong, Edwin H. (Edwin Howard), 1890-1954
id
FI.1981.4
repository
extent
4.35 linear feet
inclusive date
1909-1956
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Edwin H. Armstrong (1890-1954) was an American electrical engineer and inventor, best known for inventing the regenerative circuit, the super-regenerative circuit, the superheterodyne receiver, and FM (frequency modulation) radio. He spent much of his life battling in court over his patent rights, primarily with Lee De Forest and Radio Corporation of America, and took his own life in 1954. Edwin H. Armstrong papers, 1909-1956, consist of photographs, lecture notes, letters, certificates, published materials, programs and ephemera, materials from his memorial service, and other documents.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1824-2016
Creator:
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 1225 linear feet
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Franklin Institute records, 1824-2016, consist of administrative and financial records, membership materials, files from various departments and committees at The Franklin Institute, property records and materials relating to the Institute's building, photographs and audiovisual materials, publications, marketing materials, ephemera, and other materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Franklin Institute records
creator
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FI.35
repository
extent
1225 linear feet
inclusive date
1824-2016
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Franklin Institute records, 1824-2016, consist of administrative and financial records, membership materials, files from various departments and committees at The Franklin Institute, property records and materials relating to the Institute's building, photographs and audiovisual materials, publications, marketing materials, ephemera, and other materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1924-1959
(Bulk: 1933-1959)
Creator:
Allen, Henry Butler, 1887-1962
Extent: 2.1 linear feet
Henry Butler Allen (1887-1962) was a metallurgical and mechanical engineer and served as Director of the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1935 until 1947. During World War II, Allen served on the National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) in the Armor and Ordnance Division. The Henry Butler Allen papers, 1924-1959 (bulk 1933-1959), consist of materials produced as part of or relating to Allen's duties at Director and Secretary of the Franklin Institute in the 1930s, as well as materials related to work he conducted during World War II for the National Defense Research Committee in Philadelphia and England. (View full finding aid.)
title
Henry Butler Allen papers
creator
Allen, Henry Butler, 1887-1962
id
FI.7950
repository
extent
2.1 linear feet
inclusive date
1924-1959
bulk date
1933-1959
abstract/scope/contents
Henry Butler Allen (1887-1962) was a metallurgical and mechanical engineer and served as Director of the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1935 until 1947. During World War II, Allen served on the National Defense Research Committee (NDRC) in the Armor and Ordnance Division. The Henry Butler Allen papers, 1924-1959 (bulk 1933-1959), consist of materials produced as part of or relating to Allen's duties at Director and Secretary of the Franklin Institute in the 1930s, as well as materials related to work he conducted during World War II for the National Defense Research Committee in Philadelphia and England.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1873-1978
(Bulk: 1920-1978)
Creator:
Midvale Steel Company
Extent: 20 linear feet
Midvale Steel was originally established in the Nicetown neighborhood of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1867 by William Butcher under the name Butcher Steel Works. Renamed Midvale Steel Works in 1873, it was one of the main steel suppliers to the United States military from 1875 through World War II and was also where Frederick Taylor developed his theory of scientific management. The Nicetown plant closed in 1976. Midvale Steel Company records, 1873-1978 (bulk 1920-1978), consist of photographs, glass plate negatives, scrapbooks, and printed matter from or relating to Midvale Steel. There is a small amount of manuscript materials, including a company activity log book, 1876-1889, and a notebook from Charles Brinley, 1873. (View full finding aid.)
title
Midvale Steel Company records
creator
Midvale Steel Company
id
FI.02
repository
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
1873-1978
bulk date
1920-1978
abstract/scope/contents
Midvale Steel was originally established in the Nicetown neighborhood of North Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1867 by William Butcher under the name Butcher Steel Works. Renamed Midvale Steel Works in 1873, it was one of the main steel suppliers to the United States military from 1875 through World War II and was also where Frederick Taylor developed his theory of scientific management. The Nicetown plant closed in 1976. Midvale Steel Company records, 1873-1978 (bulk 1920-1978), consist of photographs, glass plate negatives, scrapbooks, and printed matter from or relating to Midvale Steel. There is a small amount of manuscript materials, including a company activity log book, 1876-1889, and a notebook from Charles Brinley, 1873.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1801-1980
Creator:
Philadelphia (Pa.). Water Department
Extent: 6.33 linear feet
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was the first city in the United States to provide water as a public utility and was known for its advances in water distribution technology, such as using a centralized distribution system and employing the use of hydropower for pumps. The Philadelphia Water Department (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) traces its roots to 1799 when the Joint Committee on Supplying the City with Water (known as the Watering Committee) was established by the city council in response to pressure from the city's residents to provide them with clean water for drinking, fire fighting, and cleansing the streets following a series of yellow fever epidemics. The Fairmount Water Works (FWW), Philadelphia's second water works, began operating in 1815 and remained in use until 1909. Regarded as a significant achievement in civil engineering, FWW was also an important Philadelphia landmark and tourist attraction. In the early twenty-first century, Philadelphia operates three water treatment plants that supply the city and surrounding suburban communities: Baxter in Northeast Philadelphia, Queen Lane in East Falls, and Belmont in West Philadelphia. Philadelphia Water Department records and collection on Fairmount Water Works, 1801-1980, consist primarily of volumes that contain printed reports and statements from the Watering Committee of Philadelphia, and later, the Philadelphia Water Department. There are also pamphlets, glass plate negatives, photographs, prints and illustrations, mechanical and other technical drawings, and other materials related to the Water Works. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia Water Department records and collection on Fairmount Water Works
creator
Philadelphia (Pa.). Water Department
id
FI.01
repository
extent
6.33 linear feet
inclusive date
1801-1980
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was the first city in the United States to provide water as a public utility and was known for its advances in water distribution technology, such as using a centralized distribution system and employing the use of hydropower for pumps. The Philadelphia Water Department (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) traces its roots to 1799 when the Joint Committee on Supplying the City with Water (known as the Watering Committee) was established by the city council in response to pressure from the city's residents to provide them with clean water for drinking, fire fighting, and cleansing the streets following a series of yellow fever epidemics. The Fairmount Water Works (FWW), Philadelphia's second water works, began operating in 1815 and remained in use until 1909. Regarded as a significant achievement in civil engineering, FWW was also an important Philadelphia landmark and tourist attraction. In the early twenty-first century, Philadelphia operates three water treatment plants that supply the city and surrounding suburban communities: Baxter in Northeast Philadelphia, Queen Lane in East Falls, and Belmont in West Philadelphia. Philadelphia Water Department records and collection on Fairmount Water Works, 1801-1980, consist primarily of volumes that contain printed reports and statements from the Watering Committee of Philadelphia, and later, the Philadelphia Water Department. There are also pamphlets, glass plate negatives, photographs, prints and illustrations, mechanical and other technical drawings, and other materials related to the Water Works.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1909-1959
(Bulk: 1940-1959)
Creator:
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 1.33 linear feet
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute aviation scrapbook collection, 1909-1959 (bulk 1940-1959), consists of eleven scrapbooks with newspaper and magazine clippings, photographs, ephemera, correspondence, and other materials related to aviation and airplanes. Most of the scrapbooks in the collection were compiled by Carl Hunter Boas; some were compiled by Thomas Hart. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute aviation scrapbook collection
creator
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FI.22
repository
extent
1.33 linear feet
inclusive date
1909-1959
bulk date
1940-1959
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute aviation scrapbook collection, 1909-1959 (bulk 1940-1959), consists of eleven scrapbooks with newspaper and magazine clippings, photographs, ephemera, correspondence, and other materials related to aviation and airplanes. Most of the scrapbooks in the collection were compiled by Carl Hunter Boas; some were compiled by Thomas Hart.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1790-1984
Creator:
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 6 linear feet
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute collection of oversized papers, 1790-1984, consists of oversized materials such as technical drawings of machinery (some used for patents), posters, illustrations, prints, drawings, engravings, maps, photographs, certificates, blueprints, and newspaper pages. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute collection of oversized papers
creator
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FI.31
repository
extent
6 linear feet
inclusive date
1790-1984
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute collection of oversized papers, 1790-1984, consists of oversized materials such as technical drawings of machinery (some used for patents), posters, illustrations, prints, drawings, engravings, maps, photographs, certificates, blueprints, and newspaper pages.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1718-2006
Creator:
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 4 linear feet
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute Frankliniana collection, 1718-2006, consists of prints, drawings, photographs, and a variety of ephemera and secondary-source materials relating to Benjamin Franklin and his activities. There is a small amount of 18th century materials signed or printed by Franklin. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute Frankliniana collection
creator
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FI.21
repository
extent
4 linear feet
inclusive date
1718-2006
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most important science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute Frankliniana collection, 1718-2006, consists of prints, drawings, photographs, and a variety of ephemera and secondary-source materials relating to Benjamin Franklin and his activities. There is a small amount of 18th century materials signed or printed by Franklin.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute [Contact Us]
1762-2003
Creator:
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 40 linear feet
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most significant science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute manuscript collection, 1762-2003, includes small groups (less than 1 linear foot each) of papers of scientists, inventors, science-oriented groups and organizations, industrial businesses, and others in the scientific community, as well as other science and engineering related materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute manuscript collection
creator
Franklin Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
FI.03
repository
extent
40 linear feet
inclusive date
1762-2003
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Founded in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1824, in honor of America's first scientist, Benjamin Franklin, The Franklin Institute is one of the oldest and most significant science institutes in the nation. Its mission is to inspire a passion for learning about science and technology. The Historical and Interpretive Collections of The Franklin Institute manuscript collection, 1762-2003, includes small groups (less than 1 linear foot each) of papers of scientists, inventors, science-oriented groups and organizations, industrial businesses, and others in the scientific community, as well as other science and engineering related materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »