Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Village Improvement Association of Doylestown
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 2 out of 2  
Village Improvement Association of Doylestown [Contact Us]
1833-1954
Creator:
James, Sarah M., 1864-1954
Extent: 12 linear feet
Oliver P. James (1815-1894) was a prominent doctor and community member in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He, his wife Sarah (1824-1906), and their three children Oliver (1860-1890), Martha (1862-1918), and Sarah (1864-1954) lived at what is now known as the James-Lorah Memorial Home at 132 N. Main Street in Doylestown. In 1896, Dr. James' daughter, Martha, married George H. Lorah (1863-1945), a minister at the Doylestown Methodist Episcopal Church. Martha's sister, Sarah James was a charter member of the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (VIA), and upon her passing in 1954, the family home and its contents and property, as well as a trust fund for maintenance were bequeathed to the VIA. The James and Lorah families papers, 1833-1954, consist of original manuscript documents from the James and Lorah families, primarily Dr. Oliver P. James (1815-1894), Sarah (Sallie) James (1864-1954), Martha (Mattie) James Lorah (1862-1918), and Dr. George Lorah (1863-1945). The largest amount of materials is from Sarah James. The papers include diaries, letters scrapbooks, pamphlets and ephemera, legal and financial documents, photographs, and various other materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
James and Lorah families papers
creator
James, Sarah M., 1864-1954
id
VIA.02
repository
extent
12 linear feet
inclusive date
1833-1954
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Oliver P. James (1815-1894) was a prominent doctor and community member in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He, his wife Sarah (1824-1906), and their three children Oliver (1860-1890), Martha (1862-1918), and Sarah (1864-1954) lived at what is now known as the James-Lorah Memorial Home at 132 N. Main Street in Doylestown. In 1896, Dr. James' daughter, Martha, married George H. Lorah (1863-1945), a minister at the Doylestown Methodist Episcopal Church. Martha's sister, Sarah James was a charter member of the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (VIA), and upon her passing in 1954, the family home and its contents and property, as well as a trust fund for maintenance were bequeathed to the VIA. The James and Lorah families papers, 1833-1954, consist of original manuscript documents from the James and Lorah families, primarily Dr. Oliver P. James (1815-1894), Sarah (Sallie) James (1864-1954), Martha (Mattie) James Lorah (1862-1918), and Dr. George Lorah (1863-1945). The largest amount of materials is from Sarah James. The papers include diaries, letters scrapbooks, pamphlets and ephemera, legal and financial documents, photographs, and various other materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Village Improvement Association of Doylestown [Contact Us]
1895-2014
Creator:
Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (Pa.)
Extent: 25 linear feet
The Village Improvement Association (VIA) was founded in 1895 by a group of women in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with the goal of improving and beautifying Central Bucks County. The VIA founded Doylestown Hospital in 1923 and is the only women's club to own and operate a community hospital. As of 2015, the VIA is headquartered at the James-Lorah Memorial Home, has a membership of over 350 women, and continues to undertake projects relating to health, welfare, community improvement, education, and the arts in Bucks County. The Village Improvement Association of Doylestown records, 1895-2014, consist of administrative records, scrapbooks, membership materials, photographs, audiovisual materials, blueprints, newsletters, ephemera, and other materials relating to the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown. There is also a small amount of materials from the Junior Women's Club of Doylestown. (View full finding aid.)
title
Village Improvement Association of Doylestown records
creator
Village Improvement Association of Doylestown (Pa.)
id
VIA.01
repository
extent
25 linear feet
inclusive date
1895-2014
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Village Improvement Association (VIA) was founded in 1895 by a group of women in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with the goal of improving and beautifying Central Bucks County. The VIA founded Doylestown Hospital in 1923 and is the only women's club to own and operate a community hospital. As of 2015, the VIA is headquartered at the James-Lorah Memorial Home, has a membership of over 350 women, and continues to undertake projects relating to health, welfare, community improvement, education, and the arts in Bucks County. The Village Improvement Association of Doylestown records, 1895-2014, consist of administrative records, scrapbooks, membership materials, photographs, audiovisual materials, blueprints, newsletters, ephemera, and other materials relating to the Village Improvement Association of Doylestown. There is also a small amount of materials from the Junior Women's Club of Doylestown.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet