Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Villiger Archives of St. Joseph's Preparatory School
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 1 out of 1  
Villiger Archives of St. Joseph's Preparatory School [Contact Us]
circa 1730-2016 (bulk 1890s-2016)
Creator:
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School
Extent: 325 linear feet
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School is a Roman Catholic high school for boys in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that was founded by Jesuit priests in 1851. It was established as a preparatory school for Saint Joseph's College (now University). The College and Preparatory School moved to Stiles Street and 17th Street in North Philadelphia in 1868. The College later moved to the Overbrook neighborhood of Philadelphia in 1927, while the Preparatory School remained at the North Philadelphia location. As of 2016, Saint Joseph's Preparatory School enrolls just under 1,000 male high school students. Many of the school's graduates have gone on to notable careers in government, business, and other areas. Saint Joseph's Preparatory School records, circa 1730-2016 (bulk 1890s-2016), consist of records and other materials from Saint Joseph's Preparatory School, records and materials relating to people associated with and the activities of the Gesu Parish, and materials documenting Jesuits, including those at the Church of the Gesu. The collection also includes administrative and financial records; publications; property, legal, and insurance materials; photographs, scrapbooks, and audiovisual materials; papers and other materials from people associated with Saint Joseph's Preparatory School and the Gesu Parish; over two hundred relic authenticity certificates, 1730-1975, for Father Burchard Villiger's relic collection; and other documents. (View full finding aid.)
title
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School records
creator
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School
id
VASJPS.01
repository
extent
325 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1730-2016 (bulk 1890s-2016)
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Saint Joseph's Preparatory School is a Roman Catholic high school for boys in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania that was founded by Jesuit priests in 1851. It was established as a preparatory school for Saint Joseph's College (now University). The College and Preparatory School moved to Stiles Street and 17th Street in North Philadelphia in 1868. The College later moved to the Overbrook neighborhood of Philadelphia in 1927, while the Preparatory School remained at the North Philadelphia location. As of 2016, Saint Joseph's Preparatory School enrolls just under 1,000 male high school students. Many of the school's graduates have gone on to notable careers in government, business, and other areas. Saint Joseph's Preparatory School records, circa 1730-2016 (bulk 1890s-2016), consist of records and other materials from Saint Joseph's Preparatory School, records and materials relating to people associated with and the activities of the Gesu Parish, and materials documenting Jesuits, including those at the Church of the Gesu. The collection also includes administrative and financial records; publications; property, legal, and insurance materials; photographs, scrapbooks, and audiovisual materials; papers and other materials from people associated with Saint Joseph's Preparatory School and the Gesu Parish; over two hundred relic authenticity certificates, 1730-1975, for Father Burchard Villiger's relic collection; and other documents.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet