Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Repository: Wallace Township Archives
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 7 out of 7  
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1836-1857
Creator:
McIlvaine, A. R. (Abraham Robinson), 1804-1863
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Abraham Robinson McIlvaine (1804-1863) was a farmer and United States Congressman from Pennsylvania. In office from 1843-1849, he befriended future president Abraham Lincoln during Lincoln's only term in Congress. The Abraham R. McIlvaine correspondence, 1836-1857, consists entirely of incoming and outgoing letters between Abraham McIlvaine and various family members. There are 556 letters, spanning the time period during Abraham McIlvaine's career as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, a U.S. Congressman and chairman of the Committee on Expenditures in the Department of War, and his post-political life. At least some of McIlvaine's letters from 1843-1849 discuss his activities in Congress. (View full finding aid.)
title
Abraham R. McIlvaine correspondence
creator
McIlvaine, A. R. (Abraham Robinson), 1804-1863
id
WTHC.07
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1836-1857
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Abraham Robinson McIlvaine (1804-1863) was a farmer and United States Congressman from Pennsylvania. In office from 1843-1849, he befriended future president Abraham Lincoln during Lincoln's only term in Congress. The Abraham R. McIlvaine correspondence, 1836-1857, consists entirely of incoming and outgoing letters between Abraham McIlvaine and various family members. There are 556 letters, spanning the time period during Abraham McIlvaine's career as a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, a U.S. Congressman and chairman of the Committee on Expenditures in the Department of War, and his post-political life. At least some of McIlvaine's letters from 1843-1849 discuss his activities in Congress.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1849-1952
Creator:
Howson, Henry, 1859-1937
Extent: 2.5 cubic feet
Henry Howson, Sr. (1823-1885), trained as an engineer in his native England before establishing a patent law firm in Philadelphia in 1853. Henry Howson, Jr. (1859-1937) joined the family practice in 1875. He maintained residences in Philadelphia, but also enjoyed the family's country home, "Brae Head Farm," in Glenmoore (Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania). The Henry Howson family papers, 1849-1952, mostly pertain to Henry Howson, Jr., with some documents from his father, and a sizeable quantity of papers from his daughter, Margaret, relative to Henry Howson, Jr.'s estate. Most materials relate to properties owned by the family in Philadelphia and in Chester County, Pennsylvania (Brae Head Farm) or the Howson patent law firm; there are a few items about Henry Howson, Sr.'s engineering work, Henry Howson, Jr.'s involvement with the Fairview Presbyterian Church's annual flower, fruit, and vegetable exhibition, and other topics. (View full finding aid.)
title
Henry Howson family papers
creator
Howson, Henry, 1859-1937
id
WTHC.02
repository
extent
2.5 cubic feet
inclusive date
1849-1952
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Henry Howson, Sr. (1823-1885), trained as an engineer in his native England before establishing a patent law firm in Philadelphia in 1853. Henry Howson, Jr. (1859-1937) joined the family practice in 1875. He maintained residences in Philadelphia, but also enjoyed the family's country home, "Brae Head Farm," in Glenmoore (Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania). The Henry Howson family papers, 1849-1952, mostly pertain to Henry Howson, Jr., with some documents from his father, and a sizeable quantity of papers from his daughter, Margaret, relative to Henry Howson, Jr.'s estate. Most materials relate to properties owned by the family in Philadelphia and in Chester County, Pennsylvania (Brae Head Farm) or the Howson patent law firm; there are a few items about Henry Howson, Sr.'s engineering work, Henry Howson, Jr.'s involvement with the Fairview Presbyterian Church's annual flower, fruit, and vegetable exhibition, and other topics.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1952-2006
(Bulk: 1984-2006)
Creator:
Davidson, Jane L. S., 1939-2012
Extent: 1.25 linear feet
Jane L. S. Davidson (1939-2012) of Chester County, Pennsylvania was an award-winning advocate for historic preservation, long-time county Historic Preservation Coordinator, and co-founder of the Chester County Historic Preservation Network. The Jane L. S. Davidson papers, 1952-2006 (bulk 1984-2006), relate mostly to her work as preservation coordinator for Chester County, such as historic site research, correspondence, and an historic resource atlas. Unrelated to Davidson's work for the county, there is also a folder of her family genealogy research, and a packet of clippings on Wallace Township history. (View full finding aid.)
title
Jane L. S. Davidson papers
creator
Davidson, Jane L. S., 1939-2012
id
WTHC.01
repository
extent
1.25 linear feet
inclusive date
1952-2006
bulk date
1984-2006
abstract/scope/contents
Jane L. S. Davidson (1939-2012) of Chester County, Pennsylvania was an award-winning advocate for historic preservation, long-time county Historic Preservation Coordinator, and co-founder of the Chester County Historic Preservation Network. The Jane L. S. Davidson papers, 1952-2006 (bulk 1984-2006), relate mostly to her work as preservation coordinator for Chester County, such as historic site research, correspondence, and an historic resource atlas. Unrelated to Davidson's work for the county, there is also a folder of her family genealogy research, and a packet of clippings on Wallace Township history.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1940-1995
(Bulk: 1975-1995)
Creator:
Shrader, John J. S., 1914-2011
Extent: 0.75 cubic feet
John J. S. Shrader (1914-2001) was an amateur archaeologist, photographer, and local historian who spent most of his life in Glenmoore, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The John Shrader photographs and slides, 1940-2005 (bulk 1975-1995), consist of over 1,000 slides and two albums of captioned photographs, in black and white and in color. Depicted are local sites, especially historic sites such as Springton Manor, events, landscapes, and buildings such as houses and churches. (View full finding aid.)
title
John Shrader photographs and slides
creator
Shrader, John J. S., 1914-2011
id
WTHC.06
repository
extent
0.75 cubic feet
inclusive date
1940-1995
bulk date
1975-1995
abstract/scope/contents
John J. S. Shrader (1914-2001) was an amateur archaeologist, photographer, and local historian who spent most of his life in Glenmoore, Chester County, Pennsylvania. The John Shrader photographs and slides, 1940-2005 (bulk 1975-1995), consist of over 1,000 slides and two albums of captioned photographs, in black and white and in color. Depicted are local sites, especially historic sites such as Springton Manor, events, landscapes, and buildings such as houses and churches.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1914-2014
(Bulk: 1950-2014)
Creator:
Wallace Township Historical Commission
Extent: 4.5 linear feet
Although the first official survey of Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania took place in 1729, the Township was formally created in 1852 and has had multiple changes to its boundaries since. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, farms, mills, and forges dotted the landscape, but the late 19th century brought the railroad and considerable development of the area. A Pennsylvania Turnpike entrance was created near Wallace in 1950, and during the late 20th century, many residential subdivisions were built in the Township resulting in a substantial population increase. The Wallace Township Historical Commission clippings files, 1914-2014 (bulk 1950-2014), consist of newspaper clippings about people, places, organizations, and other topics relating to Wallace Township, as well as topics of national interest. (View full finding aid.)
title
Wallace Township clippings files
creator
Wallace Township Historical Commission
id
WTHC.03
repository
extent
4.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1914-2014
bulk date
1950-2014
abstract/scope/contents
Although the first official survey of Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania took place in 1729, the Township was formally created in 1852 and has had multiple changes to its boundaries since. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, farms, mills, and forges dotted the landscape, but the late 19th century brought the railroad and considerable development of the area. A Pennsylvania Turnpike entrance was created near Wallace in 1950, and during the late 20th century, many residential subdivisions were built in the Township resulting in a substantial population increase. The Wallace Township Historical Commission clippings files, 1914-2014 (bulk 1950-2014), consist of newspaper clippings about people, places, organizations, and other topics relating to Wallace Township, as well as topics of national interest.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1977-2011
Creator:
Wallace Township Historical Commission
Extent: 3 linear feet
Around the time of the United States bicentennial, the Chester County Commissioners formed a partnership with the Chester County Historical Society, the Brandywine Conservancy and many volunteers to organize a Chester County Historic Sites Survey. This survey, conducted between 1979 and 1982, included all of Chester County except for the Boroughs of West Chester and Downingtown (which initiated separate survey projects around this time). Glenmoore Historic District, consisting of about 50 buildings in Wallace Township, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. The Wallace Township Historical Commission historic property research files, 1977-2011, consist of folders for buildings more than fifty years old in Wallace Township at the time of the survey. Most files contain photocopies of Chester County's Architectural Inventory Form (AIF), and/or Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission's Historic Resource Survey forms. Several files contain additional documentation such as memoranda, correspondence, handwritten notes, copies of relevant primary documents, newspaper clippings, or photographs. (View full finding aid.)
title
Wallace Township historic property research files
creator
Wallace Township Historical Commission
id
WTHC.05
repository
extent
3 linear feet
inclusive date
1977-2011
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Around the time of the United States bicentennial, the Chester County Commissioners formed a partnership with the Chester County Historical Society, the Brandywine Conservancy and many volunteers to organize a Chester County Historic Sites Survey. This survey, conducted between 1979 and 1982, included all of Chester County except for the Boroughs of West Chester and Downingtown (which initiated separate survey projects around this time). Glenmoore Historic District, consisting of about 50 buildings in Wallace Township, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. The Wallace Township Historical Commission historic property research files, 1977-2011, consist of folders for buildings more than fifty years old in Wallace Township at the time of the survey. Most files contain photocopies of Chester County's Architectural Inventory Form (AIF), and/or Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission's Historic Resource Survey forms. Several files contain additional documentation such as memoranda, correspondence, handwritten notes, copies of relevant primary documents, newspaper clippings, or photographs.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Wallace Township Archives [Contact Us]
1789-2014
Creator:
Wallace Township Historical Commission
Extent: 30 linear feet
Although the first official survey of Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania took place in 1729, the Township was formally created in 1852 and has had multiple changes to its boundaries since. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, farms, mills, and forges dotted the landscape, but the late 19th century brought the railroad and considerable development of the area. A Pennsylvania Turnpike entrance was created near Wallace in 1950, and during the late 20th century, many residential subdivisions were built in the Township resulting in a substantial population increase. The Wallace Township Historical Commission local history collection, 1789-2014, consists of a mix of primary and secondary-source material relating to the history and residents of Wallace Township. Materials include scrapbooks, maps and blueprints, deeds, financial and administrative records, photographs, audio recordings, ephemera, correspondence, posters, and genealogy and other research materials. (View full finding aid.)
title
Wallace Township local history collection
creator
Wallace Township Historical Commission
id
WTHC.04
repository
extent
30 linear feet
inclusive date
1789-2014
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Although the first official survey of Wallace Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania took place in 1729, the Township was formally created in 1852 and has had multiple changes to its boundaries since. In the 18th and early 19th centuries, farms, mills, and forges dotted the landscape, but the late 19th century brought the railroad and considerable development of the area. A Pennsylvania Turnpike entrance was created near Wallace in 1950, and during the late 20th century, many residential subdivisions were built in the Township resulting in a substantial population increase. The Wallace Township Historical Commission local history collection, 1789-2014, consists of a mix of primary and secondary-source material relating to the history and residents of Wallace Township. Materials include scrapbooks, maps and blueprints, deeds, financial and administrative records, photographs, audio recordings, ephemera, correspondence, posters, and genealogy and other research materials.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »