Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Subject: Topic: Historic buildings
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • NextLast »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 68  
Historical Society of Pennsylvania [Contact Us]
1789-2007
Creator:
Batcheler, George Dewey, 1926-2009.
Batcheler, Penelope Hartshorne, 1928-2007.
Boëthius, Essie Sahlin, 1859-1950.
Hartshorne, Ellen Sahlin, 1895-1988.
Hartshorne, Richard, 1888-1975.
Sahlin, Axel, 1826-1909.
Sahlin, Axel, 1855-1937.
Sahlin, Axeline Örtendahl, 1834-1922.
Sahlin, Gertrude Chandler, 1860-1953.
Sahlin, Robert Chandler, 1889-1967.
Extent: 40 linear feet
This collection contains the papers of the Batcheler, Hartshorne, and Sahlin families, descended from Axel (1826-March 5, 1909) and Axeline Sahlin (1834-1922), a Swedish couple whose children lived in Europe and the United States. Four generations of the family are documented here, with documentation centering around five families. In the United States, the family is represented by Gertrude Chandler (July 17, 1860-1953) and Axel Sahlin (1855-1937); their daughter Ellen Sahlin (February 21, 1895-June 4, 1988) and her husband, Judge Richard Hartshorne (February 29, 1888-September 19,1975); and their daughter, Penelope Hartshorne (1928-2007) and her husband, George Batcheler(1926-2009). The Swedish side of the family is represented by Axel and Axeline Sahlin and the family of their daughter, Essie Sahlin (1859-1950) and her husband, Simon Johannes Boëthius (1850-1924). The contents of this collection are mostly correspondence and other personal papers, including diaries, artwork, school work, and genealogical research on all branches of the family. There are also a good deal of photographs, documenting all four generations of the family and their relatives. (View full finding aid.)
title
Batcheler, Hartshorne, and Sahlin families papers
creator
Batcheler, George Dewey, 1926-2009. Batcheler, Penelope Hartshorne, 1928-2007. Boëthius, Essie Sahlin, 1859-1950. Hartshorne, Ellen Sahlin, 1895-1988. Hartshorne, Richard, 1888-1975. Sahlin, Axel, 1826-1909. Sahlin, Axel, 1855-1937. Sahlin, Axeline Örtendahl, 1834-1922. Sahlin, Gertrude Chandler, 1860-1953. Sahlin, Robert Chandler, 1889-1967.
id
PHi.3173
repository
extent
40 linear feet
inclusive date
1789-2007
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This collection contains the papers of the Batcheler, Hartshorne, and Sahlin families, descended from Axel (1826-March 5, 1909) and Axeline Sahlin (1834-1922), a Swedish couple whose children lived in Europe and the United States. Four generations of the family are documented here, with documentation centering around five families. In the United States, the family is represented by Gertrude Chandler (July 17, 1860-1953) and Axel Sahlin (1855-1937); their daughter Ellen Sahlin (February 21, 1895-June 4, 1988) and her husband, Judge Richard Hartshorne (February 29, 1888-September 19,1975); and their daughter, Penelope Hartshorne (1928-2007) and her husband, George Batcheler(1926-2009). The Swedish side of the family is represented by Axel and Axeline Sahlin and the family of their daughter, Essie Sahlin (1859-1950) and her husband, Simon Johannes Boëthius (1850-1924). The contents of this collection are mostly correspondence and other personal papers, including diaries, artwork, school work, and genealogical research on all branches of the family. There are also a good deal of photographs, documenting all four generations of the family and their relatives.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]
circa 1849-1890
Creator:
Evans, Benjamin Ridgway
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
Benjamin Ridgway Evans was an artist and draftsman active in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the mid- to late 19th century known for producing watercolors of the city's buildings and streets. The Benjamin Ridgway Evans prints, circa 1849-1890, consist of 125 artworks, mostly prints of drawings, but also a few watercolors, showing detailed views of buildings and streets in Philadelphia. (View full finding aid.)
title
Benjamin Ridgway Evans prints
creator
Evans, Benjamin Ridgway
id
PHM.22
repository
extent
1.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1849-1890
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Benjamin Ridgway Evans was an artist and draftsman active in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the mid- to late 19th century known for producing watercolors of the city's buildings and streets. The Benjamin Ridgway Evans prints, circa 1849-1890, consist of 125 artworks, mostly prints of drawings, but also a few watercolors, showing detailed views of buildings and streets in Philadelphia.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.) [Contact Us]
1988-2012
Creator:
Springfield (Montgomery County, Pa. : Township). Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee.
Extent: 2 linear feet
The Black Horse Inn was an early rural inn located in Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The inn is believed to have been built in the 18th century. The Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee was established to save and restore the building. The Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee records, 1988-2012, are comprised of reports, correspondence, and other documents relating to the history and restoration of the inn. (View full finding aid.)
title
Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee records
creator
Springfield (Montgomery County, Pa. : Township). Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee.
id
STHS.04
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1988-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Black Horse Inn was an early rural inn located in Springfield Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The inn is believed to have been built in the 18th century. The Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee was established to save and restore the building. The Black Horse Inn Advisory Committee records, 1988-2012, are comprised of reports, correspondence, and other documents relating to the history and restoration of the inn.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Warwick Township Historical Society [Contact Us]
1989
Creator:
Heritage Conservancy
Extent: 2 linear feet
Warwick Township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania was founded by petition on February 13, 1733. Its first European settlers were primarily Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. A mainly rural area for most of its history, the township's population almost tripled in the late 20th century resulting in its suburbanization. The Bucks County Conservancy historic resource surveys for Warwick Township, 1989, consist of seven volumes of surveys documenting properties in Warwick Township. Apparently created in an attempt to establish Warwick Township as an historic district, surveys include the location, date of construction, condition, description, photographs, and other pertinent information about each property. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bucks County Conservancy historic resource surveys for Warwick Township
creator
Heritage Conservancy
id
WTHS.02
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1989
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Warwick Township in Bucks County, Pennsylvania was founded by petition on February 13, 1733. Its first European settlers were primarily Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. A mainly rural area for most of its history, the township's population almost tripled in the late 20th century resulting in its suburbanization. The Bucks County Conservancy historic resource surveys for Warwick Township, 1989, consist of seven volumes of surveys documenting properties in Warwick Township. Apparently created in an attempt to establish Warwick Township as an historic district, surveys include the location, date of construction, condition, description, photographs, and other pertinent information about each property.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
New Hope Historical Society [Contact Us]
1947-1972
Creator:
Bucks County Playhouse (Organization)
Extent: 0.75 linear feet
The Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, Pennsylvania is a renowned theater that has hosted numerous famous actors and productions since it opened in 1939. It was founded as part of an adaptive reuse effort to save an historic 1790 structure. The Bucks County Playhouse records, 1947-1972, include annual reports, playbills, miscellaneous correspondence and financial and business records, property records, and legal correspondence and business records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Bucks County Playhouse records
creator
Bucks County Playhouse (Organization)
id
NHHS.06
repository
extent
0.75 linear feet
inclusive date
1947-1972
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, Pennsylvania is a renowned theater that has hosted numerous famous actors and productions since it opened in 1939. It was founded as part of an adaptive reuse effort to save an historic 1790 structure. The Bucks County Playhouse records, 1947-1972, include annual reports, playbills, miscellaneous correspondence and financial and business records, property records, and legal correspondence and business records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Ryerss Museum and Library [Contact Us]
1978-1980
Creator:
Day & Zimmermann.
Extent: 0.5 linear feet
Joseph Waln Ryerss built Burholme as his summer house in 1859, and upon his death he left it to his son, Robert Waln Ryerss (1831-1896). Robert's will stipulated that Burholme could be occupied by his wife, Mary Ann, but should eventually be turned over to the City of Philadelphia. The Ryerss Museum and Library was opened to the public in 1910 under the administration of the Fairmount Park Commission. The Burholme Mansion architectural drawings, 1978-1980, comprise approximately 40 architectural and shop drawings for a restoration of Burholme Mansion. (View full finding aid.)
title
Burholme Mansion architectural drawings
creator
Day & Zimmermann.
id
RM.02
repository
extent
0.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1978-1980
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Joseph Waln Ryerss built Burholme as his summer house in 1859, and upon his death he left it to his son, Robert Waln Ryerss (1831-1896). Robert's will stipulated that Burholme could be occupied by his wife, Mary Ann, but should eventually be turned over to the City of Philadelphia. The Ryerss Museum and Library was opened to the public in 1910 under the administration of the Fairmount Park Commission. The Burholme Mansion architectural drawings, 1978-1980, comprise approximately 40 architectural and shop drawings for a restoration of Burholme Mansion.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Yardley Historical Association [Contact Us]
1855-1981
(Bulk: 1950-1980)
Creator:
Belville, Catherine Reading, 1897-1995
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
Catherine "Kitty" Reading Belville (1897-1995) was born in Yardley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Belville was a 1919 graduate of Swarthmore College, and established the Belville Scholarship there in 1982 in honor of her parents. Having a strong interest in history, Belville was a member of the Colonial Yardley Association (predecessor of the Yardley Historical Association). The Catherine R. Belville family papers, 1885-1981 (bulk 1950-1980), mostly consist of the personal papers of Catherine R. Belville, including correspondence, diaries, ephemera, and photographs, as well as some papers relating to the Belville family. Many of the materials relate to Belville's time as a student at Swarthmore College and her continued association with the school. Also included are materials relating to the Colonial Yardley Association, genealogy research, and Yardley history research. (View full finding aid.)
title
Catherine R. Belville family papers
creator
Belville, Catherine Reading, 1897-1995
id
YHA.05
repository
extent
1.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1855-1981
bulk date
1950-1980
abstract/scope/contents
Catherine "Kitty" Reading Belville (1897-1995) was born in Yardley, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Belville was a 1919 graduate of Swarthmore College, and established the Belville Scholarship there in 1982 in honor of her parents. Having a strong interest in history, Belville was a member of the Colonial Yardley Association (predecessor of the Yardley Historical Association). The Catherine R. Belville family papers, 1885-1981 (bulk 1950-1980), mostly consist of the personal papers of Catherine R. Belville, including correspondence, diaries, ephemera, and photographs, as well as some papers relating to the Belville family. Many of the materials relate to Belville's time as a student at Swarthmore College and her continued association with the school. Also included are materials relating to the Colonial Yardley Association, genealogy research, and Yardley history research.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area [Contact Us]
1985
Creator:
Chester County Historic Preservation Office (Pa.)
Extent: 1.67 linear feet
Phoenixville has the largest registered historic district in Chester County, Pennsylvania. The Chester County Historic Preservation Office historic resource surveys for Phoenixville, 1985, consists of survey forms documenting properties in Phoenixville with site location, date of construction, condition, description, photographs, and other pertinent information about each property. (View full finding aid.)
title
Chester County Historic Preservation Office historic resource surveys for Phoenixville
creator
Chester County Historic Preservation Office (Pa.)
id
HSPA.04
repository
extent
1.67 linear feet
inclusive date
1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Phoenixville has the largest registered historic district in Chester County, Pennsylvania. The Chester County Historic Preservation Office historic resource surveys for Phoenixville, 1985, consists of survey forms documenting properties in Phoenixville with site location, date of construction, condition, description, photographs, and other pertinent information about each property.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Cliveden of the National Trust [Contact Us]
1809-2015
(Bulk: 1972-2015)
Creator:
Cliveden of the National Trust (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Extent: 150 linear feet
Built in 1767 in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Cliveden served as the home of the Chew family for over 200 years and played a key role in the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown in 1777. In 1972, the estate was donated by the family to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, becoming Cliveden of the National Trust. Cliveden of the National Trust records, 1809-2015 (bulk 1972-2015), consist of materials that document the administration of Cliveden of the National Trust as a historic site, and include administrative files, collection records, reference files, archeological files, buildings and grounds files, program files, grant files, National Trust for Historic Preservation files, board files, education files, Education Director files, oversized materials, audio and visual materials, and other documents. (View full finding aid.)
title
Cliveden of the National Trust (Philadelphia, Pa.) records
creator
Cliveden of the National Trust (Philadelphia, Pa.)
id
CNT.01
repository
extent
150 linear feet
inclusive date
1809-2015
bulk date
1972-2015
abstract/scope/contents
Built in 1767 in the Germantown neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Cliveden served as the home of the Chew family for over 200 years and played a key role in the Revolutionary War Battle of Germantown in 1777. In 1972, the estate was donated by the family to the National Trust for Historic Preservation, becoming Cliveden of the National Trust. Cliveden of the National Trust records, 1809-2015 (bulk 1972-2015), consist of materials that document the administration of Cliveden of the National Trust as a historic site, and include administrative files, collection records, reference files, archeological files, buildings and grounds files, program files, grant files, National Trust for Historic Preservation files, board files, education files, Education Director files, oversized materials, audio and visual materials, and other documents.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Stenton [Contact Us]
1898-2000
Creator:
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 45 linear feet
Stenton is an historic site administered by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 1899. James Logan erected this example of early Georgian architecture between 1723 and 1730 in what was countryside in Philadelphia County but is now part of the City of Philadelphia, near the neighborhood of Germantown. Logan had come to Philadelphia with William Penn in 1699 as his secretary, and for the rest of his life remained the Penn family’s representative in the colony and was at the center of Pennsylvania’s political life. The Colonial Dames Stenton records, 1898-2013, document the Dames administration of Stenton as an historic site. The collection includes copies of primary-source Logan family papers; secondary-source research on the Logan family and Stenton; site maintenance studies, plans, and records; administrative records of the Colonial Dames, including various committees' records, financial records, and the correspondence and files of several Dames; audio-visual materials; and various other records. (View full finding aid.)
title
Colonial Dames Stenton records
creator
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
id
STEN.01
repository
extent
45 linear feet
inclusive date
1898-2000
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Stenton is an historic site administered by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 1899. James Logan erected this example of early Georgian architecture between 1723 and 1730 in what was countryside in Philadelphia County but is now part of the City of Philadelphia, near the neighborhood of Germantown. Logan had come to Philadelphia with William Penn in 1699 as his secretary, and for the rest of his life remained the Penn family’s representative in the colony and was at the center of Pennsylvania’s political life. The Colonial Dames Stenton records, 1898-2013, document the Dames administration of Stenton as an historic site. The collection includes copies of primary-source Logan family papers; secondary-source research on the Logan family and Stenton; site maintenance studies, plans, and records; administrative records of the Colonial Dames, including various committees' records, financial records, and the correspondence and files of several Dames; audio-visual materials; and various other records.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Strawberry Mansion [Contact Us]
1926-1995
Creator:
Committee of 1926 of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 26.5 linear feet
Soon after the Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, the Committee of 1926 was granted stewardship of historic Strawberry Mansion in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The all-women's group continues to operate the mansion as a museum space with decorated period rooms as of 2012. The Committee of 1926 of Pennsylvania records, 1926-1995, include financial and administrative records, photographs, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings. A highlight of the collection is "The Book of Honor," an illuminated manuscript with biographies of influential Pennsylvania women executed by famed children's author Carolyn Haywood. (View full finding aid.)
title
Committee of 1926 of Pennsylvania records
creator
Committee of 1926 of Pennsylvania.
id
SM.02
repository
extent
26.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1926-1995
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Soon after the Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, the Committee of 1926 was granted stewardship of historic Strawberry Mansion in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The all-women's group continues to operate the mansion as a museum space with decorated period rooms as of 2012. The Committee of 1926 of Pennsylvania records, 1926-1995, include financial and administrative records, photographs, scrapbooks, and newspaper clippings. A highlight of the collection is "The Book of Honor," an illuminated manuscript with biographies of influential Pennsylvania women executed by famed children's author Carolyn Haywood.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Concord Township Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1900-2013
Creator:
Concord Township Historical Society (Delaware County, Pa.)
Extent: 18.5 linear feet
Concord Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania was incorporated in 1683, and includes the four villages of Concordville, Elam, Markham and Ward. Originally in Chester County, the township became part of Delaware County when Chester County was partitioned in 1789. The Concord Township Historical Society subject files, circa 1900-2013, include newspaper clippings, photocopies of secondary and primary source documents, pamphlets and ephemera, and a few photos and primary source documents on various local history topics including people, churches, landmarks and historical organizations (such as Newlin Grist Mill and Newlin family), local businesses and organizations, buildings, maps, and railroads. (View full finding aid.)
title
Concord Township Historical Society subject files
creator
Concord Township Historical Society (Delaware County, Pa.)
id
CTHS.07
repository
extent
18.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1900-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Concord Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania was incorporated in 1683, and includes the four villages of Concordville, Elam, Markham and Ward. Originally in Chester County, the township became part of Delaware County when Chester County was partitioned in 1789. The Concord Township Historical Society subject files, circa 1900-2013, include newspaper clippings, photocopies of secondary and primary source documents, pamphlets and ephemera, and a few photos and primary source documents on various local history topics including people, churches, landmarks and historical organizations (such as Newlin Grist Mill and Newlin family), local businesses and organizations, buildings, maps, and railroads.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Conshohocken Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1850-2012
Creator:
Conshohocken Historical Society.
Extent: 15.5 linear feet
The Conshohocken Historical Society photograph collection, circa 1850-2012, consists of original photographs of Conshohocken places and events, individuals, and organizations; Conshohocken Historical Society outings and events; and the Conshohocken Historic Resources Survey. (View full finding aid.)
title
Conshohocken Historical Society photograph collection
creator
Conshohocken Historical Society.
id
CHS.16
repository
extent
15.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1850-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Conshohocken Historical Society photograph collection, circa 1850-2012, consists of original photographs of Conshohocken places and events, individuals, and organizations; Conshohocken Historical Society outings and events; and the Conshohocken Historic Resources Survey.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Doylestown Historical Society [Contact Us]
circa 1955-2013
Creator:
Doylestown Historical Society (Doylestown, Pa.)
Extent: 48 linear feet
The area now known as Doylestown (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was given to Edward Doyle as a land grant from William Penn in 1692. Doylestown became the county seat of Bucks County in 1812, and the area flourished when a railroad line was completed between Doylestown and Philadelphia in 1856. Doylestown's historic downtown began to deteriorate in the early 1960s, but the town was revitalized in part due to an architectural preservation movement. The Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection, circa 1955-2013, contains mostly secondary-source materials--such as real estate listings, narrative house histories, photocopies of original documents with some original photographs--organized alphabetically by street address. (View full finding aid.)
title
Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection
creator
Doylestown Historical Society (Doylestown, Pa.)
id
DOY.01
repository
extent
48 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1955-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The area now known as Doylestown (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was given to Edward Doyle as a land grant from William Penn in 1692. Doylestown became the county seat of Bucks County in 1812, and the area flourished when a railroad line was completed between Doylestown and Philadelphia in 1856. Doylestown's historic downtown began to deteriorate in the early 1960s, but the town was revitalized in part due to an architectural preservation movement. The Doylestown Historical Society local real estate collection, circa 1955-2013, contains mostly secondary-source materials--such as real estate listings, narrative house histories, photocopies of original documents with some original photographs--organized alphabetically by street address.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Welkinweir [Contact Us]
circa 1975-2001 (bulk 1990-2001)
Creator:
Cremers, Estelle
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
Estelle Cremers (1925-2010) was a historian in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, who served as the executrix for Grace Rodebaugh and her property, Welkinweir (East Nantmeal Township, Chester County, Pa.) The Estelle Cremers collection on Welkinweir, circa 1975-2001 (bulk 1990-2001), consists of various materials compiled by Estelle Cremers about Welkinweir and the Rodebaugh estate, especially regarding her duty as Grace Rodebaugh's executrix. It includes Grace's will, documents relating to Grace's finances, materials about the donation of Welkinweir to West Chester State College and resultant controversy, materials relating to establishing Welkinweir as an historic site, inventories and other papers relating to Welkinweir, and photographs and slides of the property. (View full finding aid.)
title
Estelle Cremers collection on Welkinweir
creator
Cremers, Estelle
id
WW.02
repository
extent
1.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1975-2001 (bulk 1990-2001)
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Estelle Cremers (1925-2010) was a historian in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, who served as the executrix for Grace Rodebaugh and her property, Welkinweir (East Nantmeal Township, Chester County, Pa.) The Estelle Cremers collection on Welkinweir, circa 1975-2001 (bulk 1990-2001), consists of various materials compiled by Estelle Cremers about Welkinweir and the Rodebaugh estate, especially regarding her duty as Grace Rodebaugh's executrix. It includes Grace's will, documents relating to Grace's finances, materials about the donation of Welkinweir to West Chester State College and resultant controversy, materials relating to establishing Welkinweir as an historic site, inventories and other papers relating to Welkinweir, and photographs and slides of the property.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Welkinweir [Contact Us]
circa 1890-1985
Creator:
Rodebaugh, Everett George, 1902-1983
Extent: 24.5 linear feet
Everett G. Rodebaugh (1902-1983), a nationally prominent court reporter and founder of a court-reporting service in Philadelphia, Pa. married Grace M. Haspel (1905-1999) in 1925. A wealthy couple who never had children, the Rodebaughs were socialites, travelled extensively, and were active as philanthropists and conservationists. In 1935, they purchased "Welkinweir," a 162-acre farm estate in East Nantmeal Township, Chester County, Pa., and converted part of the grounds into an arboretum. Welkinweir, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, as of 2013 is owned and administered by Green Valleys Association (an organization the Rodebaughs helped found in 1964). The Everett and Grace Rodebaugh papers, circa 1890-1985, consist of Everett Rodebaugh's professional papers, which include correspondence and legal/court records and transcripts; the personal papers of Everett and Grace, which largely include photographs, travel slides, and letters between the two; and materials relating to the Welkinweir estate such as photographs, correspondence, financial and legal documents, and blueprints. (View full finding aid.)
title
Everett and Grace Rodebaugh papers
creator
Rodebaugh, Everett George, 1902-1983
id
WW.01
repository
extent
24.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1890-1985
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Everett G. Rodebaugh (1902-1983), a nationally prominent court reporter and founder of a court-reporting service in Philadelphia, Pa. married Grace M. Haspel (1905-1999) in 1925. A wealthy couple who never had children, the Rodebaughs were socialites, travelled extensively, and were active as philanthropists and conservationists. In 1935, they purchased "Welkinweir," a 162-acre farm estate in East Nantmeal Township, Chester County, Pa., and converted part of the grounds into an arboretum. Welkinweir, placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001, as of 2013 is owned and administered by Green Valleys Association (an organization the Rodebaughs helped found in 1964). The Everett and Grace Rodebaugh papers, circa 1890-1985, consist of Everett Rodebaugh's professional papers, which include correspondence and legal/court records and transcripts; the personal papers of Everett and Grace, which largely include photographs, travel slides, and letters between the two; and materials relating to the Welkinweir estate such as photographs, correspondence, financial and legal documents, and blueprints.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Media Historic Archives Commission [Contact Us]
1950
Creator:
Zimmerman, F.F.
Extent: 2 linear feet
F.F. Zimmerman was a photographer with a studio at 6 E. Front Street in Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The F.F. Zimmerman film negatives, 1950, depict buildings in Media and borough centennial celebration events. (View full finding aid.)
title
F.F. Zimmerman film negatives
creator
Zimmerman, F.F.
id
MHAC.04
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
1950
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
F.F. Zimmerman was a photographer with a studio at 6 E. Front Street in Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. The F.F. Zimmerman film negatives, 1950, depict buildings in Media and borough centennial celebration events.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]
circa 1860-1926
Creator:
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927
Extent: 5 linear feet
Frank Hamilton Taylor (1846-1927) owned a lithography firm and served as a special artist for various newspapers and publications in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He wrote for several guidebooks and publications, but is best known for his drawings of Philadelphia published as Ever-Changing Philadelphia and Old Philadelphia in the 1910s. The Glass plate negatives of Frank Taylor drawings, circa 1860-1926, consist of nearly 250 full-plate glass negatives of sketches drawn by Taylor, mostly of building exteriors and street scenes in Philadelphia, with some sites in nearby areas. (View full finding aid.)
title
Glass plate negatives of Frank Taylor drawings
creator
Taylor, Frank H. (Frank Hamilton), 1846-1927
id
PHM.15
repository
extent
5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1860-1926
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Frank Hamilton Taylor (1846-1927) owned a lithography firm and served as a special artist for various newspapers and publications in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He wrote for several guidebooks and publications, but is best known for his drawings of Philadelphia published as Ever-Changing Philadelphia and Old Philadelphia in the 1910s. The Glass plate negatives of Frank Taylor drawings, circa 1860-1926, consist of nearly 250 full-plate glass negatives of sketches drawn by Taylor, mostly of building exteriors and street scenes in Philadelphia, with some sites in nearby areas.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
National Iron & Steel Heritage Museum [Contact Us]
1880-2011
Creator:
Graystone Society, Inc.
Extent: 11 linear feet
Coatesville in Chester County, Pennsylvania is home to the longest operating steel mill in America, Lukens Steel Company. Development in the area was spurred by convenient transport routes offered by America's first turnpike, the Philadelphia to Lancaster Turnpike (now U.S. Route 30), and the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad, built in 1834. The Graystone Society, Inc. is today a not-for-profit educational institution dedicating to collecting, preserving, exhibiting, and interpreting iron and steel's history and its relationship to Coatesville, the region, and the nation. The Graystone Society collection on Coatesville history, 1880-2011, includes photographs, scrapbooks, minute books, clippings, school books, and various other family papers and organizational records relating to the people and organizations of Coatesville and the surrounding area. Of special interest are several 18th and early 19th century manuscript volumes relating to the Pennock and Lukens family. Some records about properties owned by the Graystone Society also form part of the collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Graystone Society collection on Coatesville history
creator
Graystone Society, Inc.
id
NISHM.03
repository
extent
11 linear feet
inclusive date
1880-2011
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Coatesville in Chester County, Pennsylvania is home to the longest operating steel mill in America, Lukens Steel Company. Development in the area was spurred by convenient transport routes offered by America's first turnpike, the Philadelphia to Lancaster Turnpike (now U.S. Route 30), and the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad, built in 1834. The Graystone Society, Inc. is today a not-for-profit educational institution dedicating to collecting, preserving, exhibiting, and interpreting iron and steel's history and its relationship to Coatesville, the region, and the nation. The Graystone Society collection on Coatesville history, 1880-2011, includes photographs, scrapbooks, minute books, clippings, school books, and various other family papers and organizational records relating to the people and organizations of Coatesville and the surrounding area. Of special interest are several 18th and early 19th century manuscript volumes relating to the Pennock and Lukens family. Some records about properties owned by the Graystone Society also form part of the collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historic Carversville Society [Contact Us]
circa 2006-2013
Creator:
Historic Carversville Society
Extent: 2 linear feet
A prime example of a 19th-century farming community, Carversville in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was one of the first districts to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Historic Carversville Society house histories, circa 2006-2013, consist primarily of research compiled by the Heritage Conservancy for properties located within the Carversville Historic District. The histories, organized by address, are bound reports that include narrative descriptions, contemporary photographic print-outs, and copies of historic primary source documents. (View full finding aid.)
title
Historic Carversville Society house histories
creator
Historic Carversville Society
id
HCS.01
repository
extent
2 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 2006-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
A prime example of a 19th-century farming community, Carversville in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was one of the first districts to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Historic Carversville Society house histories, circa 2006-2013, consist primarily of research compiled by the Heritage Conservancy for properties located within the Carversville Historic District. The histories, organized by address, are bound reports that include narrative descriptions, contemporary photographic print-outs, and copies of historic primary source documents.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historic Langhorne Association [Contact Us]
circa 1975-2012
Creator:
Historic Langhorne Association
Extent: 3.5 linear feet
Settled by Quakers beginning in 1680, the small town of Langhorne in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, grew as an important transportation center between Trenton and Philadelphia due to its location at the intersection of major roads connecting the two cities. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the town, which served as a stop along the rail line, became a popular summer vacation destination for wealthy Philadelphians. The Historic Langhorne Association house histories, circa 1975-2012, consist of binders and file folders with information, including chronologies and photographs, on all of the homes in the Borough of Langhorne. Additional information is available for older, historic properties. (View full finding aid.)
title
Historic Langhorne Association house histories
creator
Historic Langhorne Association
id
HLA.01
repository
extent
3.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1975-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Settled by Quakers beginning in 1680, the small town of Langhorne in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, grew as an important transportation center between Trenton and Philadelphia due to its location at the intersection of major roads connecting the two cities. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the town, which served as a stop along the rail line, became a popular summer vacation destination for wealthy Philadelphians. The Historic Langhorne Association house histories, circa 1975-2012, consist of binders and file folders with information, including chronologies and photographs, on all of the homes in the Borough of Langhorne. Additional information is available for older, historic properties.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of Hilltown Township [Contact Us]
1790-2012
Creator:
Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Pa.)
Extent: 5.5 linear feet
Established in 1721, Hilltown Township (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) remained a farming community up until the end of World War II. Construction of large housing developments started at the end of the 1970s. The Historical Society of Hilltown Township local history collection, 1790-2012, consists of various primary-source materials that document Hilltown Township individuals, families, businesses, and properties. These include deeds, personal papers relating to some of the first families of Hilltown, materials relating to area schools, historic site survey forms, photographs, and records of local businesses and organizations. (View full finding aid.)
title
Historical Society of Hilltown Township local history collection
creator
Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Pa.)
id
HSHT.02
repository
extent
5.5 linear feet
inclusive date
1790-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Established in 1721, Hilltown Township (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) remained a farming community up until the end of World War II. Construction of large housing developments started at the end of the 1970s. The Historical Society of Hilltown Township local history collection, 1790-2012, consists of various primary-source materials that document Hilltown Township individuals, families, businesses, and properties. These include deeds, personal papers relating to some of the first families of Hilltown, materials relating to area schools, historic site survey forms, photographs, and records of local businesses and organizations.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Society of Hilltown Township [Contact Us]
1975-2012
Creator:
Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Pa.)
Extent: 10 linear feet
The Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was established in 1975 to promote interest in the historical heritage of the township by preserving buildings, documents and artifacts, and encouraging research. The Historical Society of Hilltown Township records, 1975-2012, consist of records of the Historical Society including minutes, financial papers, reports, membership lists, photographs, ephemera, and information relating to its properties. The collection also includes some subject files relating to local history, families, and individuals of Hilltown Township and surrounding areas. (View full finding aid.)
title
Historical Society of Hilltown Township records
creator
Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Pa.)
id
HSHT.04
repository
extent
10 linear feet
inclusive date
1975-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Historical Society of Hilltown Township (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was established in 1975 to promote interest in the historical heritage of the township by preserving buildings, documents and artifacts, and encouraging research. The Historical Society of Hilltown Township records, 1975-2012, consist of records of the Historical Society including minutes, financial papers, reports, membership lists, photographs, ephemera, and information relating to its properties. The collection also includes some subject files relating to local history, families, and individuals of Hilltown Township and surrounding areas.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley [Contact Us]
circa 1922-2012
Creator:
Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley.
Extent: 19 linear feet
The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley subject files, circa 1922-2012, consist of photocopies of scholarly articles, ephemera and pamphlets, and newspaper clippings on various topics of local interest. The subjects include: historic sites, bridges, cemeteries, clubs and societies, crafts, music, wars, Pennsylvania German culture, taverns and businesses, townships/boroughs/locales, and significant families. (View full finding aid.)
title
Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley subject files
creator
Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley.
id
TCPV.08
repository
extent
19 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1922-2012
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville, Perkiomen Valley subject files, circa 1922-2012, consist of photocopies of scholarly articles, ephemera and pamphlets, and newspaper clippings on various topics of local interest. The subjects include: historic sites, bridges, cemeteries, clubs and societies, crafts, music, wars, Pennsylvania German culture, taverns and businesses, townships/boroughs/locales, and significant families.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]
circa 1920-1973
Creator:
Lutz, K. F. (Karl F.), 1896-1976
Extent: 5.5 linear feet
Karl F. Lutz (1896-1976) was born in Germany and came to the United States, settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, around 1927. During the 1930s, Lutz began working as a professional photographer. His photographic subjects were mainly Philadelphia buildings and scenery; many of his images were used for postcards. The Karl F. Lutz photographs and papers, circa 1920-1973, consist primarily of photographs in a variety of media (paper prints, postcards, film negatives, glass plate negatives and others), but also include a small number of pamphlets, booklets, maps, scrapbooks, and other materials. Most of the materials in the collection relate to historic sites, buildings, and landmarks in Philadelphia and other nearby areas. (View full finding aid.)
title
Karl F. Lutz photographs and papers
creator
Lutz, K. F. (Karl F.), 1896-1976
id
PHM.09
repository
extent
5.5 linear feet
inclusive date
circa 1920-1973
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Karl F. Lutz (1896-1976) was born in Germany and came to the United States, settling in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, around 1927. During the 1930s, Lutz began working as a professional photographer. His photographic subjects were mainly Philadelphia buildings and scenery; many of his images were used for postcards. The Karl F. Lutz photographs and papers, circa 1920-1973, consist primarily of photographs in a variety of media (paper prints, postcards, film negatives, glass plate negatives and others), but also include a small number of pamphlets, booklets, maps, scrapbooks, and other materials. Most of the materials in the collection relate to historic sites, buildings, and landmarks in Philadelphia and other nearby areas.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • NextLast »