Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)

Navigation Aids

Philadelphia Area Archives Research Portal (PAARP)
Search Finding Aids
 

Filters

hide/display content

Currently Used Filters

Remove
filtered Subject: Topic: History
Remove
filtered Repository: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...
view more...

Main Content

« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Results: *RSS*
Showing hits 1 - 25 out of 25  
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1985-2000 1958-2007
(Bulk: 1985-2000)
Creator:
Asbury, Arthur K., 1928-
Extent: 35.5 linear feet
Arthur K. Asbury (b. 1928), Van Meter Professor of Neurology Emeritus, is an internationally recognized neurologist, best known for his clinical and experimental studies of peripheral neuropathies. Most of his career was spent at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, where he was a clinician, educator, researcher, and administrator. The bulk of this collection documents Dr. Asbury's work as Vice Dean of Research and Vice Dean of Faculty Affairs at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, his contributions to national and international neurological societies, his role as a consultant, and his publications on neuropathology, neuromuscular disorders, and peripheral neuropathies, such as Guillain-Barré Syndrome and associated conditions. The collection includes a modest amount of material about his early career in Boston and San Francisco, courses he taught at the University of Pennsylvania and other institutions, and accolades he has received for leadership in his field. (View full finding aid.)
title
Arthur K. Asbury papers
creator
Asbury, Arthur K., 1928-
id
CPP.MSS 2/0351-01
repository
extent
35.5 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1985-2000 1958-2007
bulk date
1985-2000
abstract/scope/contents
Arthur K. Asbury (b. 1928), Van Meter Professor of Neurology Emeritus, is an internationally recognized neurologist, best known for his clinical and experimental studies of peripheral neuropathies. Most of his career was spent at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, where he was a clinician, educator, researcher, and administrator. The bulk of this collection documents Dr. Asbury's work as Vice Dean of Research and Vice Dean of Faculty Affairs at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, his contributions to national and international neurological societies, his role as a consultant, and his publications on neuropathology, neuromuscular disorders, and peripheral neuropathies, such as Guillain-Barré Syndrome and associated conditions. The collection includes a modest amount of material about his early career in Boston and San Francisco, courses he taught at the University of Pennsylvania and other institutions, and accolades he has received for leadership in his field.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1895, 1904-1933, 1963, undated
Creator:
Ashhurst, Astley Paston Cooper, Dr., 1876-1932
Extent: 1.26 linear feet
The Astley Paston Cooper Ashhurst Papers document the military and professional accomplishments of this noted physician. Ashhurst (1876-1932) established himself as a prominent surgeon and teacher in Philadelphia, and also served as in various medical capacities during World War I. The collection encompasses two series: “Military Service,” and “Subject Files,” and dates from 1895, 1904-1933, 1963, and undated. Researchers interested in the career of Astley Paston Cooper Ashhurst, or in the medical history of World War I will find material of interest in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Astley Paston Cooper Ashhurst Papers
creator
Ashhurst, Astley Paston Cooper, Dr., 1876-1932
id
CPP.MSS 2/0349
repository
extent
1.26 linear feet
inclusive date
1895, 1904-1933, 1963, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Astley Paston Cooper Ashhurst Papers document the military and professional accomplishments of this noted physician. Ashhurst (1876-1932) established himself as a prominent surgeon and teacher in Philadelphia, and also served as in various medical capacities during World War I. The collection encompasses two series: “Military Service,” and “Subject Files,” and dates from 1895, 1904-1933, 1963, and undated. Researchers interested in the career of Astley Paston Cooper Ashhurst, or in the medical history of World War I will find material of interest in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1965-1995 Bulk, 1965-1995 1872-1998
(Bulk: 1965-1995)
Extent: 20 linear feet
The Children's Seashore House (CSH) was established Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1872 as a rehabilitation center for children. Founded on the belief in the restorative powers of the ocean and fresh seashore air, CSH was the first pediatric rehabilitation hospital in the nation, and the fourth oldest pediatric hospital in the United States. Today, CSH is located in Philadelphia, on the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia’s (CHOP) campus, after having been acquired by CHOP in 1998. Remarkable aspects of this collection include correspondence from the early 20th century, a number of bound volumes from the late 19th to the 20th centuries, and an extensive collection of photographs portraying the pediatric patients of CSH throughout its existence. (View full finding aid.)
title
Children's Seashore House Records
creator
id
CPP.MSS 6/0013-02
repository
extent
20 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1965-1995 Bulk, 1965-1995 1872-1998
bulk date
1965-1995
abstract/scope/contents
The Children's Seashore House (CSH) was established Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1872 as a rehabilitation center for children. Founded on the belief in the restorative powers of the ocean and fresh seashore air, CSH was the first pediatric rehabilitation hospital in the nation, and the fourth oldest pediatric hospital in the United States. Today, CSH is located in Philadelphia, on the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia’s (CHOP) campus, after having been acquired by CHOP in 1998. Remarkable aspects of this collection include correspondence from the early 20th century, a number of bound volumes from the late 19th to the 20th centuries, and an extensive collection of photographs portraying the pediatric patients of CSH throughout its existence.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1788-1847, 1889, 2001
Creator:
College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Extent: 15 linear feet
The College of Physicians Early Records collection documents some of the College of Physician’s earliest activities, including attempts by Fellows to diagnose and treat the 1793 yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. The collection, which was discovered by chance in 2001 by College foreman Leroy Green, contains letters, manuscripts, and committee reports. Founded in 1787, the College assembled prominent Philadelphia physicians “to advance the science of medicine and to thereby lessen human misery." The first Fellows of the College included Abraham Chouvet, Gerard Clarkson, Samuel Duffield, James Hutchinson, George Glentworth, Adam Kuhn, John Morgan, Thomas Parke, Benjamin Rush, and William Shippen Jr., almost all of whom are represented in this collection. The collection contains four series: “Descriptive Material,” “Correspondence,” “Writings,” and “Administrative Material,” and dates from 1788 to 1847, 1889, and 2001. Researchers interested in the history of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia, or in the history of American physicians will find material of significance in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
College of Physicians Early Records
creator
College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
id
CPP.CPP 1/0001-02
repository
extent
15 linear feet
inclusive date
1788-1847, 1889, 2001
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The College of Physicians Early Records collection documents some of the College of Physician’s earliest activities, including attempts by Fellows to diagnose and treat the 1793 yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. The collection, which was discovered by chance in 2001 by College foreman Leroy Green, contains letters, manuscripts, and committee reports. Founded in 1787, the College assembled prominent Philadelphia physicians “to advance the science of medicine and to thereby lessen human misery." The first Fellows of the College included Abraham Chouvet, Gerard Clarkson, Samuel Duffield, James Hutchinson, George Glentworth, Adam Kuhn, John Morgan, Thomas Parke, Benjamin Rush, and William Shippen Jr., almost all of whom are represented in this collection. The collection contains four series: “Descriptive Material,” “Correspondence,” “Writings,” and “Administrative Material,” and dates from 1788 to 1847, 1889, and 2001. Researchers interested in the history of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia, or in the history of American physicians will find material of significance in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1977-2002 1951-2003
(Bulk: 1977-2002)
Creator:
College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Extent: 112 containers
The Office of the Executive Director is the lead office in charge of administering the business of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Executive Director oversees the activities of the College of Physicians staff including staff of the Historical Medical Library, the Mütter Museum, the Francis Clark Wood Institute, and the Finance Department. The Executive Director also oversees the College functions of institutional advancement, communications, membership, and special events. As a result, the records in this collection document the everyday administrative activities and governance of the College, and span the years 1953 to 2003 (Bulk 1977 to 2003). Documents consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, pamphlets of outside organizations, financial reports, minutes, and agendas. This collection is divided into six series. The first three series house the records of specific executive directors: “William F. Chaveas” (1978-1986), “John O’Donnell” (1987-1995), and “Marc Micozzi” (1995-2002). The fourth series, “Office Records,” contains general office files from the Executive Director’s office. Other series include the records produced during the “Executive Director Search” in 2002 and the records created by the College of Physicians during its participation in the creation of the “Health Sciences Library Consortium” (HSLC). (View full finding aid.)
title
College of Physicians of Philadelphia Office of the Executive Director records
creator
College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
id
CPP.CPP 9/0001-01
repository
extent
112 containers
inclusive date
Bulk, 1977-2002 1951-2003
bulk date
1977-2002
abstract/scope/contents
The Office of the Executive Director is the lead office in charge of administering the business of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Executive Director oversees the activities of the College of Physicians staff including staff of the Historical Medical Library, the Mütter Museum, the Francis Clark Wood Institute, and the Finance Department. The Executive Director also oversees the College functions of institutional advancement, communications, membership, and special events. As a result, the records in this collection document the everyday administrative activities and governance of the College, and span the years 1953 to 2003 (Bulk 1977 to 2003). Documents consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, pamphlets of outside organizations, financial reports, minutes, and agendas. This collection is divided into six series. The first three series house the records of specific executive directors: “William F. Chaveas” (1978-1986), “John O’Donnell” (1987-1995), and “Marc Micozzi” (1995-2002). The fourth series, “Office Records,” contains general office files from the Executive Director’s office. Other series include the records produced during the “Executive Director Search” in 2002 and the records created by the College of Physicians during its participation in the creation of the “Health Sciences Library Consortium” (HSLC).
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1902, 1921-1933, undated
Creator:
McCarthy, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), Dr., 1874-1958
Extent: 0.84 linear feet
The Daniel Joseph McCarthy Papers document portions of McCarthy’s medical career, particularly his writings and addresses on psychiatry and medical jurisprudence. As a prominent neurologist and medical jurisprudence expert, McCarthy treated wounded soldiers in the First World War, taught for thirty-five years at the University of Pennsylvania, and founded several research and benevolent medical foundations. The collection contains three series; “Writings and Addresses,” “Subject Files,” and “Correspondence”; and ranges in dates from 1902, 1921 to 1933, and undated. Researchers interested in the medical career of Daniel Joseph McCarthy, or in early-twentieth century medical jurisprudence and psychiatry practice will find relevant material in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Daniel Joseph McCarthy Papers
creator
McCarthy, Daniel J. (Daniel Joseph), Dr., 1874-1958
id
CPP.MSS 2/0348
repository
extent
0.84 linear feet
inclusive date
1902, 1921-1933, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Daniel Joseph McCarthy Papers document portions of McCarthy’s medical career, particularly his writings and addresses on psychiatry and medical jurisprudence. As a prominent neurologist and medical jurisprudence expert, McCarthy treated wounded soldiers in the First World War, taught for thirty-five years at the University of Pennsylvania, and founded several research and benevolent medical foundations. The collection contains three series; “Writings and Addresses,” “Subject Files,” and “Correspondence”; and ranges in dates from 1902, 1921 to 1933, and undated. Researchers interested in the medical career of Daniel Joseph McCarthy, or in early-twentieth century medical jurisprudence and psychiatry practice will find relevant material in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1899-1992 1825-1992
(Bulk: 1899-1992)
Creator:
Krumbhaar, E. B., (Edward Bell), 1882-1966
Extent: 24 linear feet
Edward Bell Krumbhaar (1882-1966) was a distinguished pathologist and cardiac physician, as well as one of Philadelphia’s leading historians of medicine. A founder of both the Section on Medical History of the College of Physicians and the American Association of the History of Medicine (AAHM), Krumbhaar also served as president of the College and of the AAHM. The E.B. Krumbhaar papers covers Krumbhaar’s accomplishments and contributions to pathology and cardiac physiology from the early to mid-twentieth century. This collection contains Krumbhaar’s research files, administrative records related to organizations and institutions in which he was involved, correspondence, and medical writings. Particular strengths include documentation of Krumbhaar’s research on pathology, the founding of the American Association for the History of Medicine in 1930 and 1931, his service as President of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia from 1939 to 1942, his professorship of Pathology at the University of Pennsylvania from 1927 to 1942, and his translation of Arturo Castiglioni’s History of Medicine in 1941. (View full finding aid.)
title
E. B. Krumbhaar papers
creator
Krumbhaar, E. B., (Edward Bell), 1882-1966
id
CPP.MSS 2/0344
repository
extent
24 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1899-1992 1825-1992
bulk date
1899-1992
abstract/scope/contents
Edward Bell Krumbhaar (1882-1966) was a distinguished pathologist and cardiac physician, as well as one of Philadelphia’s leading historians of medicine. A founder of both the Section on Medical History of the College of Physicians and the American Association of the History of Medicine (AAHM), Krumbhaar also served as president of the College and of the AAHM. The E.B. Krumbhaar papers covers Krumbhaar’s accomplishments and contributions to pathology and cardiac physiology from the early to mid-twentieth century. This collection contains Krumbhaar’s research files, administrative records related to organizations and institutions in which he was involved, correspondence, and medical writings. Particular strengths include documentation of Krumbhaar’s research on pathology, the founding of the American Association for the History of Medicine in 1930 and 1931, his service as President of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia from 1939 to 1942, his professorship of Pathology at the University of Pennsylvania from 1927 to 1942, and his translation of Arturo Castiglioni’s History of Medicine in 1941.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1968-2005
Creator:
College of Physicians of Philadelphia.
Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine.
Extent: 58 linear feet
The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine was established in 1976 to promote to the scholarly community the rich historical resources of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia's historical library and the Mütter Museum. The Institute sponsors conferences, occasional seminars, and short-term travel grants to researchers who require the resources of the museum and library. This collection documents the operation and programs of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine from 1968 to 2005, providing an in-depth view into the study of the history of medicine for more than three decades. The collection includes founding documents and records of the early history of the Institute, administrative records, budget and funding records, information regarding the Wood Fellowships and the Scholars-in Residence programs, information regarding events held by the Institute and information regarding Transactions and Studies, the publication of the Francis Clark Wood Institute. Researchers interested in the history of medicine or specific historical aspects of medicine will find this collection to be of great value. (View full finding aid.)
title
Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine records
creator
College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine.
id
CPP.CPP 14/0002-01
repository
extent
58 linear feet
inclusive date
1968-2005
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine was established in 1976 to promote to the scholarly community the rich historical resources of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia's historical library and the Mütter Museum. The Institute sponsors conferences, occasional seminars, and short-term travel grants to researchers who require the resources of the museum and library. This collection documents the operation and programs of the Francis Clark Wood Institute for the History of Medicine from 1968 to 2005, providing an in-depth view into the study of the history of medicine for more than three decades. The collection includes founding documents and records of the early history of the Institute, administrative records, budget and funding records, information regarding the Wood Fellowships and the Scholars-in Residence programs, information regarding events held by the Institute and information regarding Transactions and Studies, the publication of the Francis Clark Wood Institute. Researchers interested in the history of medicine or specific historical aspects of medicine will find this collection to be of great value.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1948-1985 1922-2000
(Bulk: 1948-1985)
Creator:
Rogers, Fred B.
Extent: 8.5 linear feet
Fred Baker Rogers was Professor of Preventive Medicine at the Temple University School of Medicine and an active member of the medical community in Philadelphia and throughout the East Coast. He received his M.M.S. in Internal Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, his M.D. from Temple University, and his M.P.H. from Columbia University. Rogers was a prolific author of articles and books on medical history, from local doctors to infectious outbreaks, with a specific focus on preventive medicine and public health. The Fred B. Rogers papers house the files of Rogers and document both his education and career. This collection particularly captures the unique interactions between many members of the medical community in Philadelphia, especially those with interest in or ties to public health and preventive medicine, as well as interactions with the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and its various fellows and contributors. (View full finding aid.)
title
Fred B. Rogers papers
creator
Rogers, Fred B.
id
CPP.MSS 2/0354-01
repository
extent
8.5 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1948-1985 1922-2000
bulk date
1948-1985
abstract/scope/contents
Fred Baker Rogers was Professor of Preventive Medicine at the Temple University School of Medicine and an active member of the medical community in Philadelphia and throughout the East Coast. He received his M.M.S. in Internal Medicine from the University of Pennsylvania, his M.D. from Temple University, and his M.P.H. from Columbia University. Rogers was a prolific author of articles and books on medical history, from local doctors to infectious outbreaks, with a specific focus on preventive medicine and public health. The Fred B. Rogers papers house the files of Rogers and document both his education and career. This collection particularly captures the unique interactions between many members of the medical community in Philadelphia, especially those with interest in or ties to public health and preventive medicine, as well as interactions with the College of Physicians of Philadelphia and its various fellows and contributors.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1813-1870 1793-1921
(Bulk: 1813-1870)
Creator:
Wood, George B., (George Bacon), Dr, 1797-1879
Extent: 2.1 linear feet
The George Bacon Wood Papers collection documents George Bacon Wood’s professional and personal life from 1813 to 1870. Dr. George Bacon Wood was an accomplished physician and author, and also lectured at several medical institutions in the Philadelphia region. Materials located in the collection include correspondence, manuscript drafts, lecture notes, financial material, and some graphic material. The collection contains six series arranged by their relative size: “Correspondence,” “Writings,” “Professional Affiliations,” “Teaching Material,” “Graphic Material and Ephemera,” and “Financial Material.” Researchers interested in the life of George Bacon Wood, or of early- nineteenth century medical practice will find documents of significance in these papers. (View full finding aid.)
title
George Bacon Wood Papers
creator
Wood, George B., (George Bacon), Dr, 1797-1879
id
CPP.MSS 2/0039-04
repository
extent
2.1 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1813-1870 1793-1921
bulk date
1813-1870
abstract/scope/contents
The George Bacon Wood Papers collection documents George Bacon Wood’s professional and personal life from 1813 to 1870. Dr. George Bacon Wood was an accomplished physician and author, and also lectured at several medical institutions in the Philadelphia region. Materials located in the collection include correspondence, manuscript drafts, lecture notes, financial material, and some graphic material. The collection contains six series arranged by their relative size: “Correspondence,” “Writings,” “Professional Affiliations,” “Teaching Material,” “Graphic Material and Ephemera,” and “Financial Material.” Researchers interested in the life of George Bacon Wood, or of early- nineteenth century medical practice will find documents of significance in these papers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1901-1918, 1921, 1933, undated
Creator:
Schweinitz, G. E. de (George Edmund), Dr., 1858-1938
Extent: 1.68 linear feet
The George Edmunds de Schweinitz Papers collection documents portions of de Schweinitz’s professional medical career, largely from 1901 to 1918. George Edmund de Schweinitz was a prominent ophthalmologist, born in Philadelphia on October 26th, 1858. He worked and lectured at several hospitals and schools in the Philadelphia region until the late 1920s, and also made significant contributions to ophthalmological literature. The collection contains three series: “Correspondence,” “Writings,” and “Medical Practice Material.” Researchers interested in George Edmund de Schweinitz’s career, or ophthalmology practice in the early twentieth century will find significant material in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
George Edmund de Schweinitz Papers
creator
Schweinitz, G. E. de (George Edmund), Dr., 1858-1938
id
CPP.MSS 2/0109-02
repository
extent
1.68 linear feet
inclusive date
1901-1918, 1921, 1933, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The George Edmunds de Schweinitz Papers collection documents portions of de Schweinitz’s professional medical career, largely from 1901 to 1918. George Edmund de Schweinitz was a prominent ophthalmologist, born in Philadelphia on October 26th, 1858. He worked and lectured at several hospitals and schools in the Philadelphia region until the late 1920s, and also made significant contributions to ophthalmological literature. The collection contains three series: “Correspondence,” “Writings,” and “Medical Practice Material.” Researchers interested in George Edmund de Schweinitz’s career, or ophthalmology practice in the early twentieth century will find significant material in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1817-1833, 1870, 1932, undated
Creator:
Hodge, Hugh Lenox, Dr., 1796-1873
Extent: 0.84 linear feet
The Hugh Lenox Hodge Papers collection documents portions of Dr. Hugh Lenox Hodge’s medical career. Dr. Hugh Lenox Hodge was a prominent Philadelphia physician who specialized in obstetrics, becoming one of the most renowned figures in that field in the nineteenth century. Hodge also contributed to fighting the cholera epidemic in Philadelphia during 1832. The collection contains two series: “Correspondence,” and “Subject Files,” dating from 1817 to 1833, 1870, 1932, and undated. Materials in the collection include correspondence, case notes, and several documents regarding cholera outbreak in Philadelphia during the 1830s. Researchers interested in Hodge’s medical career or the history of cholera, particularly in Philadelphia, will find material of interest in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Hugh Lenox Hodge Papers
creator
Hodge, Hugh Lenox, Dr., 1796-1873
id
CPP.MSS 2/0347-01
repository
extent
0.84 linear feet
inclusive date
1817-1833, 1870, 1932, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Hugh Lenox Hodge Papers collection documents portions of Dr. Hugh Lenox Hodge’s medical career. Dr. Hugh Lenox Hodge was a prominent Philadelphia physician who specialized in obstetrics, becoming one of the most renowned figures in that field in the nineteenth century. Hodge also contributed to fighting the cholera epidemic in Philadelphia during 1832. The collection contains two series: “Correspondence,” and “Subject Files,” dating from 1817 to 1833, 1870, 1932, and undated. Materials in the collection include correspondence, case notes, and several documents regarding cholera outbreak in Philadelphia during the 1830s. Researchers interested in Hodge’s medical career or the history of cholera, particularly in Philadelphia, will find material of interest in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1846-1901, undated
Creator:
Ashhurst, John, Dr., 1839-1900
Extent: 1.26 linear feet
The John Ashhurst Papers collection documents the life and professional career of Dr. John Ashhurst from 1846 to 1901. John Ashhurst was a prominent Philadelphia surgeon who worked at the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church, as well as the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. He also wrote extensively on the subject of surgery, writing the book The Principles and Practice of Surgery, which was published in several editions. Located in the collection are correspondence, book drafts, lecture notes, patient case information, and a biography of John Ashhurst by his son among other material. The collection contains five series: “Correspondence,” “Writings and Addresses,” “Teaching Material,” “Medical Research,” and “Cash Book.” Researchers interested in John Ashhurt’s life and career will find significant material in these papers. (View full finding aid.)
title
John Ashhurst Papers
creator
Ashhurst, John, Dr., 1839-1900
id
CPP.MSS 2/0075-02
repository
extent
1.26 linear feet
inclusive date
1846-1901, undated
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The John Ashhurst Papers collection documents the life and professional career of Dr. John Ashhurst from 1846 to 1901. John Ashhurst was a prominent Philadelphia surgeon who worked at the Hospital of the Protestant Episcopal Church, as well as the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. He also wrote extensively on the subject of surgery, writing the book The Principles and Practice of Surgery, which was published in several editions. Located in the collection are correspondence, book drafts, lecture notes, patient case information, and a biography of John Ashhurst by his son among other material. The collection contains five series: “Correspondence,” “Writings and Addresses,” “Teaching Material,” “Medical Research,” and “Cash Book.” Researchers interested in John Ashhurt’s life and career will find significant material in these papers.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1919-1921 1901-1924
(Bulk: 1919-1921)
Creator:
Swan, John M. (John Mumford), 1870-1949
Extent: 1.26 linear feet
The John Mumford Swan Sanitation Survey of the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Virgin Islands collection documents Swan’s survey of health conditions in the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and sections of Virgin Islands from 1919 to 1920. After the First World War, Swan was sent by the Red Cross to these nations, making his recommendations for improving the health of their citizens. Swan submitted a final report on his findings to the Red Cross in May 1920, located in this collection. The collection contains three series: “Reports,” “Correspondence,” and “Subject Files,” and dates from 1901 to 1920, though the bulk dates span from 1919 to 1921. Researchers interested in John Mumford Swan’s career, the Red Cross involvement in early twentieth century Dominican Republic, or of the medical components of the United State’s military occupation of the Dominican Republic and Haiti will locate relevant material in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
John Mumford Swan's Sanitation Survey of the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Virgin Islands
creator
Swan, John M. (John Mumford), 1870-1949
id
CPP.MSS 2/0347
repository
extent
1.26 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1919-1921 1901-1924
bulk date
1919-1921
abstract/scope/contents
The John Mumford Swan Sanitation Survey of the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Virgin Islands collection documents Swan’s survey of health conditions in the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and sections of Virgin Islands from 1919 to 1920. After the First World War, Swan was sent by the Red Cross to these nations, making his recommendations for improving the health of their citizens. Swan submitted a final report on his findings to the Red Cross in May 1920, located in this collection. The collection contains three series: “Reports,” “Correspondence,” and “Subject Files,” and dates from 1901 to 1920, though the bulk dates span from 1919 to 1921. Researchers interested in John Mumford Swan’s career, the Red Cross involvement in early twentieth century Dominican Republic, or of the medical components of the United State’s military occupation of the Dominican Republic and Haiti will locate relevant material in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1887-2006
Creator:
Mütter Museum.
Extent: 37 containers
The Mütter Museum was founded in 1856 when Dr. Thomas Dent Mütter bequeathed his personal medical museum to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. From Thomas Mütter’s collection, the museum grew as a noted repository for unique collections of medical specimens across the world. The Mütter Museum records document the history of this noted institution from 1887 until 2006. Included in the collection are catalogs of item acquisitions, visitor records, event records, and the papers of several museum curators. Researchers interested in the acquisition policies of the museum, as well as records of events and exhibits held at the Mutter should consult this collection. Additionally, the papers of Gretchen Worden are housed in this collection. The "Gretchen Worden" series contains many of her lectures, administrative material, and date books while serving as Curator and Director from 1982 until 2004. Also of note in the collection is the “Index of Collection,” that lists many of the Mütter Museum's acquisitions during the 1950s and 1960s, as well as a “Journal of Giants,” containing the records of known American cases of gigantism in the 1930s compiled by the Mütter Museum. (View full finding aid.)
title
Mütter Museum records
creator
Mütter Museum.
id
CPP.CPP 7/0004-01
repository
extent
37 containers
inclusive date
1887-2006
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Mütter Museum was founded in 1856 when Dr. Thomas Dent Mütter bequeathed his personal medical museum to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. From Thomas Mütter’s collection, the museum grew as a noted repository for unique collections of medical specimens across the world. The Mütter Museum records document the history of this noted institution from 1887 until 2006. Included in the collection are catalogs of item acquisitions, visitor records, event records, and the papers of several museum curators. Researchers interested in the acquisition policies of the museum, as well as records of events and exhibits held at the Mutter should consult this collection. Additionally, the papers of Gretchen Worden are housed in this collection. The "Gretchen Worden" series contains many of her lectures, administrative material, and date books while serving as Curator and Director from 1982 until 2004. Also of note in the collection is the “Index of Collection,” that lists many of the Mütter Museum's acquisitions during the 1950s and 1960s, as well as a “Journal of Giants,” containing the records of known American cases of gigantism in the 1930s compiled by the Mütter Museum.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1931-1932 1929-1939
(Bulk: 1931-1932)
Creator:
Philadelphia General Hospital.
Extent: 2 containers
The Committee on the Celebration at the Philadelphia General Hospital of the 200th Anniversary of the Building of the Philadelphia Almshouse was established in September 1929. The committee, consisting of five members of the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital, was appointed by the President of the Medical Board. The committee was responsible for fund raising, promotion, planning the program, selecting speakers, and making out the guest list. The bicentennial celebration was initially planned for December 1931. In August 1931, due to lack of funds, the committee decided to postpone the celebration until the following year. The bicentennial was finally celebrated on 6 December 1932. The records of the Committee on the Celebration at the Philadelphia General Hospital of the 200th Anniversary of the Building of the Philadelphia Almshouse span 1929 to 1939; most of the records date from 1931 to 1932. The collection consists of the files of Robert J. Hunter, chairman of the committee. Most of the files are correspondence files containing incoming letters and copies of Hunter's outgoing letters. The correspondence, which is primarily with other committee members, concerns the planning and organization of the bicentennial celebration held at the Philadelphia General Hospital in December 1932. Also included are regret and acceptance letters from people who were invited to the celebration. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia General Hospital Committee on the Celebration at the Philadelphia General Hospital of the 200th Anniversary of the building of the Philadelphia Almshouse records
creator
Philadelphia General Hospital.
id
CPP.MSS 6/0005-01
repository
extent
2 containers
inclusive date
Bulk, 1931-1932 1929-1939
bulk date
1931-1932
abstract/scope/contents
The Committee on the Celebration at the Philadelphia General Hospital of the 200th Anniversary of the Building of the Philadelphia Almshouse was established in September 1929. The committee, consisting of five members of the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital, was appointed by the President of the Medical Board. The committee was responsible for fund raising, promotion, planning the program, selecting speakers, and making out the guest list. The bicentennial celebration was initially planned for December 1931. In August 1931, due to lack of funds, the committee decided to postpone the celebration until the following year. The bicentennial was finally celebrated on 6 December 1932. The records of the Committee on the Celebration at the Philadelphia General Hospital of the 200th Anniversary of the Building of the Philadelphia Almshouse span 1929 to 1939; most of the records date from 1931 to 1932. The collection consists of the files of Robert J. Hunter, chairman of the committee. Most of the files are correspondence files containing incoming letters and copies of Hunter's outgoing letters. The correspondence, which is primarily with other committee members, concerns the planning and organization of the bicentennial celebration held at the Philadelphia General Hospital in December 1932. Also included are regret and acceptance letters from people who were invited to the celebration.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1730-1960
Creator:
Philadelphia General Hospital.
Extent: 2 containers
The Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee was established in December 1940. The committee was responsible for the daily administration of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum of the Philadelphia General Hospital. The committee attended to the maintenance of the museum building, oversaw the care and cataloging of museum pieces, and acknowledged donations to the museum. This committee reported to the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital. This collection consists of items, dating from 1730 to 1960, from the museum collection of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum of the Philadelphia General Hospital. Present are letters, invitations, programs, reprints, photographs, a diary, and miscellaneous material relating to the history of the Philadelphia General Hospital. Also included are the papers of individuals who were important to the history of the hospital, including Daniel J. McCarthy, Arthur A. Stevens, and Sir William Osler. Most of the material was collected by Robert J. Hunter, Chairman of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia General Hospital Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee museum collection records
creator
Philadelphia General Hospital.
id
CPP.MSS.6/0005-05
repository
extent
2 containers
inclusive date
1730-1960
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee was established in December 1940. The committee was responsible for the daily administration of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum of the Philadelphia General Hospital. The committee attended to the maintenance of the museum building, oversaw the care and cataloging of museum pieces, and acknowledged donations to the museum. This committee reported to the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital. This collection consists of items, dating from 1730 to 1960, from the museum collection of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum of the Philadelphia General Hospital. Present are letters, invitations, programs, reprints, photographs, a diary, and miscellaneous material relating to the history of the Philadelphia General Hospital. Also included are the papers of individuals who were important to the history of the hospital, including Daniel J. McCarthy, Arthur A. Stevens, and Sir William Osler. Most of the material was collected by Robert J. Hunter, Chairman of the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1940-1941 1894-1941
(Bulk: 1940-1941)
Creator:
Hunter, Robert J., (Robert John), 1882-1980
Philadelphia General Hospital.
Extent: 4 containers
The Osler Memorial Committee was formed in October 1939. The committee was appointed by David Riesman, President of the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital. The objective of the committee was to create a museum and memorial to Sir William Osler in the old autopsy house of the Philadelphia General Hospital and to organize a ceremony marking the dedication of the building. After the completion of its duties, the Osler Memorial Committee was discharged in December 1940. At this time, it was decided that a new committee, the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee, would be appointed to oversee the daily administration of the museum. The records of the Osler Memorial Committee span 1894 to 1941; the bulk of the records date from 1940 to 1941. The collection consists of the files of Robert J. Hunter, chairman of the committee. Included in Hunter's files is material relating to the restoration of the old autopsy house at the Philadelphia General Hospital and its transformation into a museum and memorial to Sir William Osler. Also included are materials pertaining to the dedication of the building held on June 8, 1940. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, notes, memoranda, programs, invitations, and drafts of speeches. (View full finding aid.)
title
Philadelphia General Hospital Osler Memorial Committee records
creator
Hunter, Robert J., (Robert John), 1882-1980 Philadelphia General Hospital.
id
CPP.MSS 6/0005-02
repository
extent
4 containers
inclusive date
Bulk, 1940-1941 1894-1941
bulk date
1940-1941
abstract/scope/contents
The Osler Memorial Committee was formed in October 1939. The committee was appointed by David Riesman, President of the Medical Board of the Philadelphia General Hospital. The objective of the committee was to create a museum and memorial to Sir William Osler in the old autopsy house of the Philadelphia General Hospital and to organize a ceremony marking the dedication of the building. After the completion of its duties, the Osler Memorial Committee was discharged in December 1940. At this time, it was decided that a new committee, the Osler Memorial and Blockley Historical Museum Committee, would be appointed to oversee the daily administration of the museum. The records of the Osler Memorial Committee span 1894 to 1941; the bulk of the records date from 1940 to 1941. The collection consists of the files of Robert J. Hunter, chairman of the committee. Included in Hunter's files is material relating to the restoration of the old autopsy house at the Philadelphia General Hospital and its transformation into a museum and memorial to Sir William Osler. Also included are materials pertaining to the dedication of the building held on June 8, 1940. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, reports, notes, memoranda, programs, invitations, and drafts of speeches.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1895-1921
Creator:
Brown, Frederick Zerban
Extent: 1.6 linear feet (3 document boxes and 2 half document boxes)
The Frederick Brown Company was founded by Frederick Brown (March 12, 1796 – February 27, 1864) after he began producing Brown’s Essence of Jamaica Ginger in 1822. Brown began production on the corner of Chestnut and 5th Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Frederick Brown Company was successful as their Essence of Jamaica Ginger was a popular household medicine and remedy. The Frederick Brown Collection consists of two series. Series I contains a variety of personal and family papers, including letters, postcards and estate and life insurance documents. Series II contains financial and legal records for the Frederick Brown Company. (View full finding aid.)
title
Records of The Frederick Brown Company
creator
Brown, Frederick Zerban
id
MSS 5/005
repository
extent
1.6 linear feet (3 document boxes and 2 half document boxes)
inclusive date
1895-1921
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Frederick Brown Company was founded by Frederick Brown (March 12, 1796 – February 27, 1864) after he began producing Brown’s Essence of Jamaica Ginger in 1822. Brown began production on the corner of Chestnut and 5th Streets in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Frederick Brown Company was successful as their Essence of Jamaica Ginger was a popular household medicine and remedy. The Frederick Brown Collection consists of two series. Series I contains a variety of personal and family papers, including letters, postcards and estate and life insurance documents. Series II contains financial and legal records for the Frederick Brown Company.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1966-2000
Creator:
College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Section on Medical History
Extent: 1.6 linear feet (4 document boxes)
The Section on Medical History was founded in 1904. In 1905, the Section began holding meetings at which lectures on medical history were presented, inviting papers from physicians and scholars from a variety of backgrounds. By the 1970s, the section had become the sponsor of several annual lectures, including the Kate Hurd Mead Lecture (co-sponsored by the [Woman's] Medical College of Pennsylvania, now Drexel College of Medicine) which was started in 1952 and the Samuel X. Radbill Lecture (1974). As of 2019, the Section on Medical History remains an active body of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Records of the Section on Medical History III span the years 1966 to 2004, and consist of correspondence, annual reports, lecture announcements, speaker information, and Executive Committee minutes. It is divided into eleven series, one for earlier annual reports, and the other ten organized by Section Chair. Researchers should note that the majority of this collection only supplements materials found in Records of the Section on Medical History of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia I and II (CPP 12/003-01 and CPP 12/003-02). Executive Committee meeting minutes seem to exist only for the years 1990 to 1995. Section records for the years 1995 to 1998 are not present in this collection. (View full finding aid.)
title
Records of the Section on Medical History III
creator
College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Section on Medical History
id
CPP 12/003-03
repository
extent
1.6 linear feet (4 document boxes)
inclusive date
1966-2000
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Section on Medical History was founded in 1904. In 1905, the Section began holding meetings at which lectures on medical history were presented, inviting papers from physicians and scholars from a variety of backgrounds. By the 1970s, the section had become the sponsor of several annual lectures, including the Kate Hurd Mead Lecture (co-sponsored by the [Woman's] Medical College of Pennsylvania, now Drexel College of Medicine) which was started in 1952 and the Samuel X. Radbill Lecture (1974). As of 2019, the Section on Medical History remains an active body of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Records of the Section on Medical History III span the years 1966 to 2004, and consist of correspondence, annual reports, lecture announcements, speaker information, and Executive Committee minutes. It is divided into eleven series, one for earlier annual reports, and the other ten organized by Section Chair. Researchers should note that the majority of this collection only supplements materials found in Records of the Section on Medical History of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia I and II (CPP 12/003-01 and CPP 12/003-02). Executive Committee meeting minutes seem to exist only for the years 1990 to 1995. Section records for the years 1995 to 1998 are not present in this collection.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
2005-2013
Creator:
College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Section on Medical History
Extent: .6 linear feet (1 document box, 1 half document box)
The Section on Medical History was founded in 1904. In 1905, the Section began holding meetings at which lectures on medical history were presented, inviting papers from physicians and scholars from a variety of backgrounds. By the 1970s, the section had become the sponsor of several annual lectures, including the Kate Hurd Mead Lecture (co-sponsored by the [Woman's] Medical College of Pennsylvania, now Drexel College of Medicine) which was started in 1952 and the Samuel X. Radbill Lecture (1974). As of 2019, the Section on Medical History remains an active body of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Records of the Section on Medical History IV span the years 2005 to 2013, and consist of correspondence, Executive Committee minutes, lecture flyers and programs, and speaker information, including CD-Rs of recorded lectures sponsored by the Section. Unlike earlier collections of Section records, this collection is not organized under the Clerk's or Chair's names, but by the type of material and chronology. Researchers should note that the Library may not have the required hardware to play back the recorded lectures at this time. (View full finding aid.)
title
Records of the Section on Medical History IV
creator
College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Section on Medical History
id
CPP 12/003-04
repository
extent
.6 linear feet (1 document box, 1 half document box)
inclusive date
2005-2013
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
The Section on Medical History was founded in 1904. In 1905, the Section began holding meetings at which lectures on medical history were presented, inviting papers from physicians and scholars from a variety of backgrounds. By the 1970s, the section had become the sponsor of several annual lectures, including the Kate Hurd Mead Lecture (co-sponsored by the [Woman's] Medical College of Pennsylvania, now Drexel College of Medicine) which was started in 1952 and the Samuel X. Radbill Lecture (1974). As of 2019, the Section on Medical History remains an active body of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. The Records of the Section on Medical History IV span the years 2005 to 2013, and consist of correspondence, Executive Committee minutes, lecture flyers and programs, and speaker information, including CD-Rs of recorded lectures sponsored by the Section. Unlike earlier collections of Section records, this collection is not organized under the Clerk's or Chair's names, but by the type of material and chronology. Researchers should note that the Library may not have the required hardware to play back the recorded lectures at this time.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
Bulk, 1800-1987 1635-1987
(Bulk: 1800-1987)
Creator:
Radbill, Samuel X, 1901-1987
Extent: 47.8 linear feet
Samuel X Radbill (1901-1987) began his medical career as a general practitioner in 1926 and became a pediatrician in 1938, when he was certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. Radbill was perhaps better known as a medical historian, and collector of bookplates and old and rare medical texts than as a pediatrician. He believed that the study of medicine’s past was useful to its practice, and he encouraged many of his professional colleagues to examine the history of their specialties. The Samuel X Radbill papers evidences Radbill’s deep and unrelenting interest in the history of medicine, particularly the history of pediatrics and dermatology, folklore, ancient medicine, medical art and medical bookplates. Of note, in the collection are three of Radbill’s personal collections related to the history of medicine: collections of pamphlets, brochures and articles; medical art and other pictorial works; and medical journals and texts--all dating from the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries. In addition, there are research notes, manuscripts and typescripts for articles and books written by Radbill, as well as a small group of miscellaneous personal papers, most of which relate directly to his research and writing. The collection dates from 1635 to 1987 (bulk: circa 1800 to 1985). Researchers should note, there are several languages represented in this collection, most notably English, Latin, French, German, Hebrew and Japanese. (View full finding aid.)
title
Samuel X Radbill papers
creator
Radbill, Samuel X, 1901-1987
id
CPP.MSS 2/0037-05
repository
extent
47.8 linear feet
inclusive date
Bulk, 1800-1987 1635-1987
bulk date
1800-1987
abstract/scope/contents
Samuel X Radbill (1901-1987) began his medical career as a general practitioner in 1926 and became a pediatrician in 1938, when he was certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. Radbill was perhaps better known as a medical historian, and collector of bookplates and old and rare medical texts than as a pediatrician. He believed that the study of medicine’s past was useful to its practice, and he encouraged many of his professional colleagues to examine the history of their specialties. The Samuel X Radbill papers evidences Radbill’s deep and unrelenting interest in the history of medicine, particularly the history of pediatrics and dermatology, folklore, ancient medicine, medical art and medical bookplates. Of note, in the collection are three of Radbill’s personal collections related to the history of medicine: collections of pamphlets, brochures and articles; medical art and other pictorial works; and medical journals and texts--all dating from the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries. In addition, there are research notes, manuscripts and typescripts for articles and books written by Radbill, as well as a small group of miscellaneous personal papers, most of which relate directly to his research and writing. The collection dates from 1635 to 1987 (bulk: circa 1800 to 1985). Researchers should note, there are several languages represented in this collection, most notably English, Latin, French, German, Hebrew and Japanese.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1789-1792
Creator:
Bush, Soloman
Extent: .4 linear feet (1 pamphlet box)
This daybook contains medical observations and recipes from Philadelphia resident, Dr. Solomon Bush. The son of Mathias Bush, Dr. Solomon Bush practiced medicine around the time of the Revolutionary War despite not having any formal training. In addition to his medical case studies and remedy recipes, his daybook also includes a memorandum of his marriage to Ann, the daughter of Christopher Marshall on April 2, 1791. The announcement of the birth of his son, Nathan Marshall Bush, follows on February 23rd, 1792. This collection was discovered during a survey in the summer and fall of 2015. (View full finding aid.)
title
Soloman Bush daybook
creator
Bush, Soloman
id
MSS 377
repository
extent
.4 linear feet (1 pamphlet box)
inclusive date
1789-1792
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
This daybook contains medical observations and recipes from Philadelphia resident, Dr. Solomon Bush. The son of Mathias Bush, Dr. Solomon Bush practiced medicine around the time of the Revolutionary War despite not having any formal training. In addition to his medical case studies and remedy recipes, his daybook also includes a memorandum of his marriage to Ann, the daughter of Christopher Marshall on April 2, 1791. The announcement of the birth of his son, Nathan Marshall Bush, follows on February 23rd, 1792. This collection was discovered during a survey in the summer and fall of 2015.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1741; 1760; 1773; 1776
Creator:
Bond, Thomas
Extent: 1 folder (4 items)
Thomas Bond was an American physician and surgeon. He was born May 2, 1713, in Calvert County, Maryland. In 1751 he co-founded the Pennsylvania Hospital, the first medical facility in the American colonies, with Benjamin Franklin, and also volunteered his services there as both physician and teacher. During the Revolutionary War, Bond helped to organize the medical department of the Continental Army. He established the first American field hospitals during the conflict. He was also a member of the local Committee of Safety during the war. Bond died March 26, 1784, in Phildelphia. He is buried in Christ Church Burial Ground in Philadelphia. This small collection consists of 4 items written by Thomas Bond, dating between 1741 and 1776, including a bill for medical service to Captain Thomas Freame and a letter recommending a Mr. Duffield to conduct a small pox incoculation campaign. Researchers should note that the edges of the papers are fragile and need to be handled with extra care. (View full finding aid.)
title
Thomas Bond correspondence
creator
Bond, Thomas
id
MSS 418
repository
extent
1 folder (4 items)
inclusive date
1741; 1760; 1773; 1776
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Thomas Bond was an American physician and surgeon. He was born May 2, 1713, in Calvert County, Maryland. In 1751 he co-founded the Pennsylvania Hospital, the first medical facility in the American colonies, with Benjamin Franklin, and also volunteered his services there as both physician and teacher. During the Revolutionary War, Bond helped to organize the medical department of the Continental Army. He established the first American field hospitals during the conflict. He was also a member of the local Committee of Safety during the war. Bond died March 26, 1784, in Phildelphia. He is buried in Christ Church Burial Ground in Philadelphia. This small collection consists of 4 items written by Thomas Bond, dating between 1741 and 1776, including a bill for medical service to Captain Thomas Freame and a letter recommending a Mr. Duffield to conduct a small pox incoculation campaign. Researchers should note that the edges of the papers are fragile and need to be handled with extra care.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]
1893
Creator:
Cooper, William R. (William Ridge), crp
Extent: 1 envelope (10 items)
Dr. William Ridge Cooper was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1862. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College, worked in his father's medical practice, and later established his own. Cooper died in 1925. The William R. Cooper postcards date from February through December of 1893. There are ten postcards in the collection, all from patients reporting new cases or requesting visits from Cooper. (View full finding aid.)
title
William R. Cooper postcards
creator
Cooper, William R. (William Ridge), crp
id
MSS 405
repository
extent
1 envelope (10 items)
inclusive date
1893
bulk date
abstract/scope/contents
Dr. William Ridge Cooper was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, in 1862. He graduated from Jefferson Medical College, worked in his father's medical practice, and later established his own. Cooper died in 1925. The William R. Cooper postcards date from February through December of 1893. There are ten postcards in the collection, all from patients reporting new cases or requesting visits from Cooper.
date_facet
bulk_date_facet
language_facet
name_facet
name_with_roles_facet
geographical_subject_facet
topical_subject_facet
genre_form_facet
« First • Previous • Next • Last »