Search Finding Aids
Sort Results By:
Narrow Results By:
Creator filters: 4 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
Subject: Corporate name filters: 1 are listed below. Each is preceded by the number of records that match the filter.
« First • Previous • Next • Last »
Extent: 1.5 linear feet
The Logans were a prominent Philadelphia family dating to 1699, when James Logan (1679-1751), the family patriarch, arrived in Philadelphia to serve as Secretary of the Pennsylvania colony. Through work in trade and politics, Logan and his descendants were intimately involved in the development of colonial Pennsylvania and, later, the fledging United States. The Logan family papers, 1700-circa 1850, consist of scattered documents related to the Logan family and their home, Stenton (in Germantown, Philadelphia, Pa.). It includes letters, deeds and estate papers, three cookbooks, and various other documents. (View full finding aid.)
Martin, Mary Stout, 1855-1938
Extent: 7 linear feet
Mary Stout Cowgill (1855-1938) married James Martin (b. 1852) in 1884 and lived most of her life in Delaware. Mary Wynne Wister (1847-1933) married Algernon S. Logan (1849-1925), a descendant of William Penn's secretary James Logan. They lived in Philadelphia and New Jersey. The Mary Stout Martin letters to Mary Wister Logan, 1888-1932, are mostly of a personal and routine nature, although some larger topics may also be addressed. (View full finding aid.)
Shepherd, Raymond Voigt
Extent: 2 linear feet
Raymond V. Shepherd, Jr. studied the Stenton estate for his 1968 dissertation, James Logan's Stenton: Grand Simplicity in Quaker Philadelphia, for an M.A. in American Culture from the Winterthur Museum Program at the University of Delaware. The Ray Shepherd files on Stenton, 1968-2003, primarily consist of Shepherd's research materials and correspondence regarding Stenton and James Logan, although there are also some letters and documents that pertain to other 18th century historic sites. The bulk of materials are secondary-source, including historic site reports, articles, newspaper clippings, citations, and a large quantity of photographs of furniture and decorative objects. (View full finding aid.)
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Extent: 45 linear feet
Stenton is an historic site administered by The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 1899. James Logan erected this example of early Georgian architecture between 1723 and 1730 in what was countryside in Philadelphia County but is now part of the City of Philadelphia, near the neighborhood of Germantown. Logan had come to Philadelphia with William Penn in 1699 as his secretary, and for the rest of his life remained the Penn family’s representative in the colony and was at the center of Pennsylvania’s political life. The Colonial Dames Stenton records, 1898-2013, document the Dames administration of Stenton as an historic site. The collection includes copies of primary-source Logan family papers; secondary-source research on the Logan family and Stenton; site maintenance studies, plans, and records; administrative records of the Colonial Dames, including various committees' records, financial records, and the correspondence and files of several Dames; audio-visual materials; and various other records. (View full finding aid.)
« First • Previous • Next • Last »