Holy Land Digital Image Collections

Navigation Aids

Back to full page
*
Search Collections
 
Tiberias--the Ancient Rakkath, Once the capital of the Province of Galilee
      set zoom:
 
Tiberias--the Ancient Rakkath, Once the capital of the Province of Galilee
Title:
Tiberias--the Ancient Rakkath, Once the capital of the Province of Galilee [Graphic]
Year:
St. Louis, 1894.
Creator:
Bain, Robert E. M
Object Details:
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.3 x 18 cm ( 10 x 7 in).
Notes:
Photograph is in a book with a description beneath ; printed description: "(Joshua, xix: 35.)--'And the fenced cities are Ziddim, Zer, and Hammath, Rakkath, and Chinnereth.' According to the Talmud, the city of Rakkath once stood upon the site now occupied by Tiberias. In the fourth century the Jews dropped the name of Tiberias and called the city by its ancient name of Rakkath. Herod Antipas built the Roman city and called it after the name of the emperor, Tiberias. It became the capital of the province of Galilee in which our Savior grew up, and was fortified by Josephus during the wars of the Jews. After the fall of Jerusalem, Tiberias was selected by the Sanhedrin as their headquarters. After that it became a principal seat of Jewish learning. Many of the most eminent Jewish rabbis connected with the history of the race lived and died here." Copyright year and photographer's name are printed at the bottom of the photograph, along with "Franklin Co Eng-Chi." See 5242BAI/LVi160CAJS (Voyager # 359786)
A view from a hillside of the city of Tiberias and the Sea of Galilee
Collection:
CAJS Image Collection LVii BAI 5434 LVii160CAJS
The Lenkin Family Collection of Photography, University of Pennsylvania Libraries