Holy Land Digital Image Collections

Navigation Aids

Back to full page
*
Search Collections
 
Mount Gerizim--Where the Samaritans worshiped
      set zoom:
 
Mount Gerizim--Where the Samaritans worshiped
Title:
Mount Gerizim--Where the Samaritans worshiped [Graphic]
Year:
St. Louis, 1894.
Creator:
Bain, Robert E. M
Object Details:
1 photograph : b&w ; 25.4 x 17.7 cm ( 10 x 7 in).
Notes:
Photograph is in a book with a description beneath ; printed description: "(Genesis, xii:6.)--'And Abram passed through the land unto the place of Sichem, unto the plain of Moreh. And the Canaanite was then in the land.' The 'place of Sichem' referred to was afterward known as Shechem, and now is called Nablous. Shechem, or Nablous, is built between the mountains Ebal and Gerizim. It is more completely at the foot of Mount Gerizim. The mount really slopes down into the town. This is the first town mentioned in Palestine connecting it with the history of God's chosen people. Abraham erected an altar here and consecrated the place to the worship of Jehovah, and after the children of Israel took possession of the country, the bones of Joseph were deposited at Shechem, in the parcel of land which Jacob purchased of the children of Hamor, the father of Shechem, for a hundred pieces of silver. (Joshua, xxiv:32.) This mountain is notable because it is the one to which the woman of Samaria referred in her conversation with our Savior at Jacob's well." Copyright year and photographer's name are at the bottom of the photograph. See 5430BAI/LVii156CAJS (Voyager # 362482)
A rock-strewn mountain with a row of trees and a man-made stone wall at the base
Collection:
CAJS Image Collection LVi BAI 5238 LVi156CAJS
The Lenkin Family Collection of Photography, University of Pennsylvania Libraries